Mathieu Choinière

Big_M

6 minutes ago, Ivan said:

I think he just turned 22, but point taken!

You are right, turned 22 in May. I had it in my head that last season was his 22 y/o season and this was his 23. Still not the 20 year old who (for a very brief time) looked like Blackpool’s most lethal offensive option and may have helped them stay in the promotion conversation. 

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

The fact that Grenada lost Pelistri (ManU sold him to Greece, surprisingly enough) who was starting ahead of Corbeanu in LaLiga, and now in a division below, he’s a bench player playing barely anything is a flag. He didn’t even get an uptick in playing time after he scored that banger against Villarreal in that game where they got demolished when no one else showed up. 

I’ve heard fans say he’s too selfish with the ball and can’t play with teammates, but hard for him to play solo or as a unit when he just doesn’t play. Short of showing up to every practice completely plastered, I don’t know what could be holding him back so much. He’s 23 now, hardly an unknown quantity at this point.

I don't think you can call him a bench player after two league games. But I do agree he has to fight to be a starter and not be satisfied with scraps. 

In many ways this year's Granada in 2nd is better than last year's in La Liga. 

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't think you can call him a bench player after two league games. But I do agree he has to fight to be a starter and not be satisfied with scraps. 

In many ways this year's Granada in 2nd is better than last year's in La Liga. 

If he’s not a bench player, it is strange if he is one of their key players, for him to play 27 minutes one game and unused sub the next. For him to be bought from a premier league team, having all this success in Switzerland, if they don’t think he is starter quality in LL2, that is a problem. The season is young and he will still get his opportunities, but for him to reach his potential, he’s going to have to have a great year, and at least after two match days, it’s not great. 

Anyways, to get things back to Choiniere, I am excited to see him play. It’s also nice that he accepted the call for Canada- he’s probably in Europe as we speak, so he’ll have to fly back here for a week, then fly right back, playing a club game, then two national team games, then back to club. I think he would’ve been more than in his right to reject the call given the transfer. 

8 hours ago, narduch said:

He turned his Grasshopper move into a move to La Liga. I wouldn't be so dismissive. 

He most likely wasn't called because he isn't playing enough 

Not being dismissive -- quite the opposite, actually. I think Corbeanu should get a chance. I understand he needs more minutes, but he wasn't selected even after killing it for Grasshopper.

Now, we have a guy three years older in Choiniere with no idea how he will do in Switzerland, and he is considered at worst a bench midfielder for us. 

Mathieu Choiniere's Farewell Message ⚜️💙🤍

"Aujourd’hui c’est avec le cœur rempli d’émotions que je vous écris ce texte. Depuis l’âge de 12 ans , Montréal a été bien plus qu’un simple club pour moi , c’était une famille , un lieu où j’ai grandi , appris et forgé des amitiés qui dureront toute une vie.

Chaque match, chaque entraînement, chaque moment passé sur ce terrain a été rendu spécial grâce à vous. Vous avez été présents, dans les moments de gloire comme dans les moments de doute, et c’est grâce à votre soutien inébranlable que j’ai pu donner le meilleur de moi-même, jour après jour.

Je tiens à remercier chaleureusement chaque personne qui a fait et font toujours partie de ce club ,mes coéquipiers, les entraîneurs et le staff pour avoir cru en moi, pour m’avoir guidé et soutenu à chaque étape de ce parcours incroyable. À vous, chers supporters, je veux dire un immense merci. Votre passion, votre amour et vos encouragements ont été le moteur qui m’a permis d’avancer, de grandir et de m’épanouir en tant que joueur et en tant qu’homme.

C’est avec beaucoup de gratitude que je pars aujourd’hui pour une nouvelle aventure en Europe, mais sachez que je vous emporte tous avec moi. Ce club, cette ville, et vous tous, vous avez une place spéciale dans mon cœur, une place que rien ne pourra jamais remplacer.

Je ne vous dis pas adieu, mais au revoir. Car peu importe où le football me mènera, je resterai toujours un enfant de Montréal, car une partie de moi restera toujours liée à ce club , à cette ville et à vous tous.

Merci pour tout je vous porterai toujours dans mon cœur. 💙🤍🖤 @cfmontreal @academiecfm"

Screenshot_20240828_154218_EditorLite.thumb.jpg.689a57057ea6d6236f2d8104dd22d40c.jpg

On 8/27/2024 at 9:06 AM, ahmedou said:

⚜️🇨🇦🇨🇭

Screenshot_20240827_090317_Instagram.thumb.jpg.26aa0ccf0bf6e6c4550b88ebda6a3dc1.jpgScreenshot_20240827_090331_Instagram.thumb.jpg.7b544a4415374a87ce1430c2153f4da4.jpgScreenshot_20240827_090358_Instagram.thumb.jpg.8af3d0f74fdb88f709c1bc80a4ae7920.jpgScreenshot_20240827_090424_Instagram.thumb.jpg.beb21b228ef3658a8ac8901c8f120fc3.jpg

"I’m incredibly excited to join this amazing club and to start this new chapter. Can’t wait creating unforgettable memories with the team and building a strong bond with all of you. Your support means the world to me, and I can’t wait to experience it up close.🔵🦗 Bis bald!"

2 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

But worst person (or maybe 2nd after Romero) so who's the real winner 🙂

I don't know the man,  do you ?   It is such a competition when you get angry you lose it,  you lose it in the game of football?  

You can't say we kick Canadians out of the park as some commented before about Honduras Guatemala etc ,  we are a different animal we are the world champions,  R E S P E C T ,  and remember we got robbed Vs the Netherlands ,  and in the France final a bit too,    the penalties ok the saudies wasn't but Lautaro's. First was onside ,  the Poland peno was soft but then Messi missed ...so m...

1 hour ago, JAVIERF said:

I don't know the man,  do you ?   It is such a competition when you get angry you lose it,  you lose it in the game of football?  

You can't say we kick Canadians out of the park as some commented before about Honduras Guatemala etc ,  we are a different animal we are the world champions,  R E S P E C T ,  and remember we got robbed Vs the Netherlands ,  and in the France final a bit too,    the penalties ok the saudies wasn't but Lautaro's. First was onside ,  the Poland peno was soft but then Messi missed ...so m...

The thing I actually do respect about De Paul was that he very much owned his weaselness.  "Yes I dove, yes it was fake, it's part of the game, something I'm good at, it helped the team, we move on."  So even though I don't like it, I can respect him.  Sort of.  

4 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

But worst person (or maybe 2nd after Romero) so who's the real winner 🙂

I never support colonial countries none of them in football imagine watching Holland Vs Spain final,  any bit the the other team can take from one of the colonial countries I'm happy about.  

I support Brazil after Argentina or any other Conmebol country ,  from CONCACAF I like Jamaica and Canadá and Haití Cuba too,  USA is kind of an underdog in men football so I don't hate them at least and Mexico they are a laughing stock,  

I don't hate Australia nor NZ and from Europe Ireland, Wales Scotland  and Greece are my teams , the African countries I support them all even though some are really streetwise.  

So I will always expect Germany Italy France England Spain Netherlands Belgium Portugal and Japan to lose tbh!!!!!!!!

23 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

I never support colonial countries none of them in football imagine watching Holland Vs Spain final,  any bit the the other team can take from one of the colonial countries I'm happy about.  

I support Brazil after Argentina or any other Conmebol country ,  from CONCACAF I like Jamaica and Canadá and Haití Cuba too,  USA is kind of an underdog in men football so I don't hate them at least and Mexico they are a laughing stock,  

I don't hate Australia nor NZ and from Europe Ireland, Wales Scotland  and Greece are my teams , the African countries I support them all even though some are really streetwise.  

So I will always expect Germany Italy France England Spain Netherlands Belgium Portugal and Japan to lose tbh!!!!!!!!

Germany doesn't lose to Argentina too often 🤣🤣

If he plays the same way he plays  for Canada soccer with his european team he'll succeed in Europe. No doubt about it.

He's totally another player when he put the national jersey. 

I want to see this Choiniere's version every game. This is the Choiniere that I like.

11 hours ago, ahmedou said:

If he plays the same way he plays  for Canada soccer with his european team he'll succeed in Europe. No doubt about it.

He's totally another player when he put the national jersey. 

I want to see this Choiniere's version every game. This is the Choiniere that I like.

You forget how he played under Nancy. Choiniere is one of those unfortunate players who shines under good to great coaches and is simply okay under subpar coaches.