Mathieu Choinière

Big_M

He’s a star and he earned that all star pick, he should have been by default.

He can slot into pretty much every mls team and he’s surely going to be coveted. He can play multiple positions and excel. 

i don’t blame him.

Posted (edited)

I think a move will do him well. He seems to have accomplished everything he can in Montreal. He’s entering his prime contract years and his peers like Osorio are making 5 or 6x his base salary. 

From a CMNT perspective, I like the idea of Saliba being a starter. Our central midfield depth is alarmingly shallow beyond Kone and Eustaquio. I think Saliba has the upside to be a top player. It’s quite frustrating that Choiniere hasn’t been integrated more given the consistency and versatility he’s shown. There’s no runway left for him now to adapt and integrate given our summer lineup.

Edited by FC_Hali

On 5/2/2024 at 12:44 PM, InglewoodJack said:

Fans are always going to root for the badge, not the player- I don't think a player being a Quebecker is as important as the player being good- to be clear, I think the value that Choiniere represents as someone who came up through every step of the academy isn't necessarily "look at how talented local guys are" and rather "if we want good players, we need to develop and keep them". Fans here see how the rest of the league is growing, and every step of the way, it seems that Saputo has no interest in actually building up a top MLS team here. He now lives in Bologna, has a 50M (?) player in Zirkzee, so he doesn't care about this Choiniere stuff or making Montreal a team that can compete with the top of the league.

I agree with what you're saying re: can't sell the other players, and MC won't command a big (1-5M) European fee, just that I think the team needs him, and if they will sell him, sell him like they did Kone and Johnston, hopefully to reinvest, not just so that we can replace him with a moneyball type intraleague move for some random MLS lifer that doesn't make Montreal a better team. This is especially considering the fact that I'm pretty sure MC isn't being outlandish with his demands- he probably wants to be paid like a top player on his team ($650k?), and Montreal wants him to take a hometown discount ($400k?) and won't play ball. If it comes out that he wants DP money, then it's a different story.

As for Montreal's mission statement, their development model, all of that, it's only one side of the coin- the other being that there is a fanbase, a rapidly growing one, fans want to see wins, it's extremely discouraging to know that the second a player gets good, he will leave, and not only will he leave to go grow his career at a higher level (Which everyone gets), but he'll do that with a relatively lateral move to another MLS club who actually does want to win games.

I'm excited at the opportunity for the path to be cleared for Saliba to take that starting slot and become a big player for Montreal, and for Zouhir to finally climb the depth chart. Choiniere will look awesome on a good MLS team with a lot of good players, where he can play a more defined role. As a Montreal fan, I want to see us compete for titles, win Canadian hardware, do damage in the Champions League- that's why you go to games and follow the team. Personal bias has me hoping he does resign, but ultimately, it's better for the national team if he goes elsewhere.

Ya, I get it.  

Really, I think MLS has proven you don't need to be one of the big spenders to be very competitive and even a winner, same for the flip side, spending doesn't assure competitiveness.  We've seen lots of teams do great with little budgets including CFM in the past.  I don't even hold that against Saputo, I honestly prefer that  model to the Manchesters and TFC types.

I'm a massive fan of MC, he's a super fit high IQ footballer that can literally play anywhere, bar CB and striker.  For all the people who've regularly seen his work with CFM over the last 2 years, I don't think there is any doubt he's been the 3rd best Canadian midfielder.  That being said, I'm not entirely sure CFM is really that dependent on him for results.  There is still a lot of talent and balance there among the others mids. 

About the homegrown thing, MLS is very different to NHL, NBA or MLB, I personally don't feel we should have locals aim to play their entire career for one team.  MLS is not the top of the pyramid, any strong player should aim to move on and challenge himself.  Fans should also understand and support this.  Keeping them home doesn't help the team or the player.  I honestly don't see the value in keeping him, he should go somewhere else and cash in, we should focus on Zouhir and Saliba.

On 5/3/2024 at 7:09 PM, kacbru said:

Lots of room to debate what is reasonable - is it 500k, 600k? However, 350k is laughable and insulting. 

Nothing is really laughable or insulting.  Business and pro-sports don't work that way, its not personal.  CFM have an envelope and they choose where and when to spend it.  If a player underperforms they don't give the team a refund.  Pro athletes don't choose where they will play.  Choiniere has earned it, he will get it elsewhere, CFM isn't screwing him out of anything. 

It goes against their philosophy which is to develop, sell and reinvest and keep the cycle going.  Right now Piette, Wanyama and Choiniere are in the way of developing the next guys (Zouhir and Saliba).  They need to play now, not when they're 24.  Even Choiniere was played and developed too late.  

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Word out of Montreal media this morning is that Olivier Renard had no issues with Choiniere’s request, and also, Olivier Renard is no longer with the club. 

Excited John Cena GIF by WWE

This is worse than Choiniere leaving.

Edited by costarg

5 minutes ago, costarg said:

Excited John Cena GIF by WWE

This is worse than Choiniere leaving.

It’s a shame Saputo, he who has just received the key to the city of Bologna, will never ever sell this team. Tony Marinaro did (or is still doing) a live thing on Twitter today where he just listed all the ways that ownership stepped in Renard’s way which he’s kinda implying is the reason that he’s leaving. Montreal has a really great thing going, but it looks like the owner is standing in the way of actually taking advantage of the massive growth of the sport/club in the city. 

2 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

It’s a shame Saputo, he who has just received the key to the city of Bologna, will never ever sell this team. Tony Marinaro did (or is still doing) a live thing on Twitter today where he just listed all the ways that ownership stepped in Renard’s way which he’s kinda implying is the reason that he’s leaving. Montreal has a really great thing going, but it looks like the owner is standing in the way of actually taking advantage of the massive growth of the sport/club in the city. 

Ya, gotta agree with that.  The lowest payroll in MLS and still not budging when things happen is not a good look.  I'm ok with the development plan and model, but this is bottom of the barrel stuff.

How could Saputo not be trying to sell if he isn't willing to keep up with the league?  Then again, Renard wouldn't resign if he knew there was a possibility of a new owner.

Kinda embarrassing for someone of Saputo's stature.  Surprised the rest of the family isn't bothered by the name being linked to this garbage.

9 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Tony Marinaro did (or is still doing) a live thing on Twitter today where he just listed all the ways that ownership stepped in Renard’s way which he’s kinda implying is the reason that he’s leaving. 

Just to add to the Marinaro thing.....

It's obviously personal between Marinaro and Saputo.  Tony was pissed when the Impact didn't give his son a chance and never let it go.  He's used every single opportunity he's had to trash Joey, it's classless and unprofessional.  He's never once tried to report all angles.  He blames ownership after every single loss, it's exhausting.  I try to like Tony, but it's just too much, it needs to be a little more balanced.  He's just a shock jock at this point.

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, costarg said:

Pretty sure he just meant "I'm taking care of business, not listening, reading or speaking about all the drama"

Oh yeah, I know what's behind it. It just came off as weird to me, the way it was executed. 

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Oh yeah, I know what's behind it. It just came off as weird to me, the way it was executed. 

Ya, Choiniere's celebrations and body language are sometimes kind of quirky.  He's a bit of a geek.  Still love him though.

Ya, it's his Dero cheque-signing.

As many have pointed out, this is also his Osorio moment. Local boy done good pushing the limits on what his lifelong club would prefer to pay for a local boy done good. Also with the potential to outgrow his role and pay packet.

1 minute ago, nolando said:

Ya, it's his Dero cheque-signing.

As many have pointed out, this is also his Osorio moment. Local boy done good pushing the limits on what his lifelong club would prefer to pay for a local boy done good. Also with the potential to outgrow his role and pay packet.

Agreed.  

Is it just me, but if I were in his shoes at 25 and looking for more money, wouldn't most guys in that situation WANT to go experience something new in a different league and country?  I mean its honorable and respectable to play for your boyhood club your entire career, but I feel he won't hit the next level without challenging himself a little more.  This isn't like the NHL, NFL or MLB (best leagues in the world).    

32 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I am surprised people aren't buzzing about that superb through ball he played into Toye.  Easy for folks around here to go "over the top" with praise for particular plays but that one was definitely elite.

He does that a lot, it gets boring and frustrating when the forwards are all injured and no one to run into those!

Posted (edited)

Time for Toronto to payback Vancouver and Montreal for taking a bunch of Toronto kids.  Would love to see him in the midfield for Toronto.  Coello for Choiniere seems like a fair swap right? 🤣

Edited by Corazon

On 5/16/2024 at 9:48 AM, costarg said:

Agreed.  

Is it just me, but if I were in his shoes at 25 and looking for more money, wouldn't most guys in that situation WANT to go experience something new in a different league and country?  I mean its honorable and respectable to play for your boyhood club your entire career, but I feel he won't hit the next level without challenging himself a little more.  This isn't like the NHL, NFL or MLB (best leagues in the world).    

I definitely agree and he should go to a European club but as far as where he should go? I definitely would suggest Bundesliga 🇩🇪 or Eredivisie 🇳🇱