Mathieu Choinière

Big_M

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I would assume that the taxes there would be lower.

They certainly negotiate your salary on an after tax basis.

Is this how MLS salaries are reported? Always assumed that MLS follows the North American model of reporting on gross. 

Just now, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Yes, MLS report Gross but negotiations in Switzerland were apparently in Net.

In that case, $600k USD after taxes, agent fees, escrow (?), etc., he’s probably pulling in like $250k a year? Less maybe? You can live large in Montreal on that, but if Grasshopper pays him like $450k or whatever, he’s probably taking home more. Per your sources you may have more clarity into what those actual numbers look like, I’m just speculating, but especially playing in Quebec for half the season and a bunch of games in other high tax jurisdictions across MLS, what he’ll earn over there might be not that far from what Montreal would’ve paid him in net dollars.

1 hour ago, ahmedou said:

“Of course I would like to go to Europe, I’ve always said that! It’s my dream! I’ve always dreamed of Europe, of the Champions League, of reaching the highest level of football that I could play in my life!''

Well, don't be sad, cuz one out of three ain't bad?...

I'm not against this move at all.  It's a good league to get a career going in Europe.  We've recently seen some of our players move on to bigger and better clubs after a quick stop in Switzerland.  

I am curious how everyone would feel if we knew nothing about him and found out we had a dual national eligible for us from Grasshopper.  How would we feel about his prospects with our program?

There is a fairly significant difference in history and size of clubs between Grasshopper and Lausanne Ouchy, but most people felt the addition of Lucas Pos in a position of similar need felt he was NOT an important pickup for our program.  Last year, Grasshopper ended up 2nd last and survived relegation/promotion playoffs but the start of this season seems like they may be battling to stay up once again.  Although, I don't think Choiniere has massive upside to him, I hope this is just a quick pitstop for him to move onto a bigger league or even a better club within Switzerland.  The fact that ZBG was able to land at a contender in the same league after being off for 9 months maybe taints this move for me.  Not that ZBG wasn't a decent MLS player, but Choiniere is a back to back all star in the same league.

Edited by Corazon

Interesting to note that pretty much Grasshopper’s entire midfield is homegrown, or at least have spent a number of years there. The two starters in the last game have spent 9, and 3 years at GH, and their bench is mostly guys who seem to have come up through their ranks. They must’ve seen something in Choiniere- LAFC/MLS connection and all, but it’s not typical of them to bring in a veteran from a foreign league as strong as MLS.

Per transfermarkt, he’s their most valuable player by about €2M and is the only player they’ve flashed cash for this season. Would guess he’s going to start and should be one of their best players fairly quickly. 

38 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I wonder if there’s still a MLS angle here? Like he gets loaned to LAFC next season and they have a HG all star on cheap wages with Grasshopper eating most of the salary. 

Don't think so. Grasshopper needs a lot of help this year. Almost relegated last year. He becomes one of their highest paid players. And he wanted Europe

2 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Nothing against this move and Choiniere has been solid for us, but I just want to note that Corbeanu stood out for Grasshopper and he couldn't even make our squad. Anyone else think there's something odd about that?

He turned his Grasshopper move into a move to La Liga. I wouldn't be so dismissive. 

He most likely wasn't called because he isn't playing enough 

1 hour ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Nothing against this move and Choiniere has been solid for us, but I just want to note that Corbeanu stood out for Grasshopper and he couldn't even make our squad. Anyone else think there's something odd about that?

Corbeanu started great and was barely playing at the end of his run there (also same in Shef Wed, MK, Blackpool and Grasshopper). He just needs to be consistent to be with the CMNT. There is a reason why every coach keeps benching him. He was also benched in the last Granada game.

Choinière is a level above and older. This is a great move for him with a chance to play at a higher level fast. Grasshopper is not afraid of selling players to bigger leagues

1 hour ago, narduch said:

He turned his Grasshopper move into a move to La Liga. I wouldn't be so dismissive. 

He most likely wasn't called because he isn't playing enough 

It's getting difficult to believe there isn't more behind Corbeanu's situation. 

He's put up good solid numbers everywhere he's played, yet struggled to get playing time and teams just seem to let him go without much concern.

I wouldn't say there is a red flag, but it's amber at the very least.

30 minutes ago, costarg said:

It's getting difficult to believe there isn't more behind Corbeanu's situation. 

He's put up good solid numbers everywhere he's played, yet struggled to get playing time and teams just seem to let him go without much concern.

I wouldn't say there is a red flag, but it's amber at the very least.

The fact that Grenada lost Pelistri (ManU sold him to Greece, surprisingly enough) who was starting ahead of Corbeanu in LaLiga, and now in a division below, he’s a bench player playing barely anything is a flag. He didn’t even get an uptick in playing time after he scored that banger against Villarreal in that game where they got demolished when no one else showed up. 

I’ve heard fans say he’s too selfish with the ball and can’t play with teammates, but hard for him to play solo or as a unit when he just doesn’t play. Short of showing up to every practice completely plastered, I don’t know what could be holding him back so much. He’s 23 now, hardly an unknown quantity at this point.

3 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

The fact that Grenada lost Pelistri (ManU sold him to Greece, surprisingly enough) who was starting ahead of Corbeanu in LaLiga, and now in a division below, he’s a bench player playing barely anything is a flag. He didn’t even get an uptick in playing time after he scored that banger against Villarreal in that game where they got demolished when no one else showed up. 

I’ve heard fans say he’s too selfish with the ball and can’t play with teammates, but hard for him to play solo or as a unit when he just doesn’t play. Short of showing up to every practice completely plastered, I don’t know what could be holding him back so much. He’s 23 now, hardly an unknown quantity at this point.

I think he just turned 22, but point taken!