Mathieu Choinière

Big_M

On 5/16/2024 at 9:41 AM, nolando said:

Ya, it's his Dero cheque-signing.

As many have pointed out, this is also his Osorio moment. Local boy done good pushing the limits on what his lifelong club would prefer to pay for a local boy done good. Also with the potential to outgrow his role and pay packet.

Just like Osorio, I think he will come to find that he can earn more in MLS and will likely stay stateside. Osorio hired a European agent and had interest in the championship a few years back but the wages weren’t as good as he was being offered from Toronto from what I had heard.

19 hours ago, Corazon said:

Time for Toronto to payback Vancouver and Montreal for taking a bunch of Toronto kids.  Would love to see him in the midfield for Toronto.  Coello for Choiniere seems like a fair swap right? 🤣

I know you posted this in jest, but since he is a homegrown and a domestic for US teams, its better for the CMNT if he moves to a US team. 

8 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

I know you posted this in jest, but since he is a homegrown and a domestic for US teams, its better for the CMNT if he moves to a US team. 

Choiniere staying in the MLS but going to one of these American MLS teams, then best fits would be Nashville, New York City FC or New England 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Despite his set-piece goal, it was not a good game for MC. He messed up a few scoring chances by passing to the wrong teammate and when he made the right choice his passes were off the mark.

I was only half watching the game last night on my phone while watching "The Fall of the House of Usher" on Netflix so this may be off base, but from what I saw his body language looked like he is a bit subdued,  I assume  it is because of the contract discussions but it seems like it may be affecting his focus on the field.  That may be a mis-read, but he looked pretty somber shortly after scoring a pretty nice goal, so if he is mentally switching back to feeling under appreciated after banging one in, I suspect he isn't playing to his full potential with everything else going on.  

6 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I was only half watching the game last night on my phone while watching "The Fall of the House of Usher" on Netflix so this may be off base, but from what I saw his body language looked like he is a bit subdued,  I assume  it is because of the contract discussions but it seems like it may be affecting his focus on the field.  That may be a mis-read, but he looked pretty somber shortly after scoring a pretty nice goal, so if he is mentally switching back to feeling under appreciated after banging one in, I suspect he isn't playing to his full potential with everything else going on.  

You probably hit the nail on the head. The team is a mess. News came out today that Vassili Cremanzidis the assistant sporting director left the team.

1 hour ago, YorkRegionFan said:

Surely there is no way they can be worse than TFC last year.

The problem with CF MTL is the rot at the top of the club: Joey Saputo. What is happening today to Toronto FC shows that the rot was cut off and discarded. Ownership was not the problem. In Montreal, good people come and meet Joey Saputo with his sparkling personality and they leave. Montreal has averaged what? A manager every year and a half. Renard probably the best sporting director this team has ever had left because he couldn't work with the owner. Nancy wanted to quit during a match half way in the season.  Vassili, another quality person, quits. Naw, last year's Toronto can't hold a candle to the shit storm that is Joey Saputo.

1 minute ago, Sal333 said:

The problem with CF MTL is the rot at the top of the club: Joey Saputo. What is happening today to Toronto FC shows that the rot was cut off and discarded. Ownership was not the problem. In Montreal, good people come and meet Joey Saputo with his sparkling personality and they leave. Montreal has averaged what? A manager every year and a half. Renard probably the best sporting director this team has ever had left because he couldn't work with the owner. Nancy wanted to quit during a match half way in the season.  Vassili, another quality person, quits. Naw, last year's Toronto can't hold a candle to the shit storm that is Joey Saputo.

??  Manning is gone?  

• 1 month later...
On 5/30/2024 at 6:03 PM, Sal333 said:

Sorry, accidental post.

Edited by phil03

40 minutes ago, narduch said:

Once again named to the MLS All Star team.

They will face Liga MX all stars on July 24

I was critical of his selection last year because it was a commissioner pick, but now this is back-to-back selections. He's a legit all star in my books now, way to go Choiniere!

Best part? An MLS all star is waiting to make his tournament debut. Canada officially has depth, folks.

9 hours ago, Grandbloke said:

Choinière once again an MLS all star, but seemingly not good enough to start in our midfield over Osorio…

Just a matter of getting an opportunity and proving he is reliable. Osorio has really stepped up so far under Marsch, so Choiniere may have to wait to get his chance. Same goes for Ahmed. It's a good problem to have. 

1 hour ago, Craig11rm said:

For me it’s kind of a toss up between Choiniere and Osorio. I think one thing Choiniere could help us with is free kicks. I think he can put in a better ball than either Davies or Eustaquio.

Osorio is 32- there is no guarantee he will be on the team in 2026. I see Choiniere as Osorio's eventual replacement on the national team, whether sooner or later. 

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

Just a matter of getting an opportunity and proving he is reliable. Osorio has really stepped up so far under Marsch, so Choiniere may have to wait to get his chance. Same goes for Ahmed. It's a good problem to have. 

You nailed this one couple of months ago.  You said one or the other wouldn't be a game breaker, they're pretty close.  Choiniere's fitness is top notch, but Osorio has the experience, it's a coin toss depending what is needed.  I'm freakin' loving Osorio's reemergence.  

Here's a question for y'all..... why doesn't Osorio ever take corners or free kicks?  Sending perfectly accurate and weighted balls is his forté.  It can't be any worse than what we've been seeing.

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

Exactly. While I want to see both Ahmed and Choiniere given a chance, you don't throw either into a quarter final with no previous minutes. Their time will come.

A few sub minutes wouldn't hurt though!