Mathieu Choinière

Big_M

Not that I want him to jump ship but this is a good opportunity for another MLS team.  He is 25, a league all star, and probably has a spot as a full international in Canada’s midfield from this point forward.  That is a solid MLS resume.  

Tbh, I have watched him a lot this year. He has not been good.  A big step down from last year. Maybe this has been a distraction for him but he has constantly been giving the ball away and loosing it in possession.  His dead ball skills seemed to have dipped as well.  He still has the lungs to run for 90 but I was thinking just last match that he is not starting material for the MNT.

4 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Could also be his agent trying to pressure Montreal. I doubt Choiniere is asking for insane money and I doubt Montreal will penny pinch arguably their best player who has been with them since he was 12. At least I hope. 

Doubt it, it’s a pattern with the team, trying to remember who else they did this team and had to trade.

There isn’t going to be a shortage of suitors for him.

I like Choiniere and all, but this is good for all sides. CFM has Saliba, Zouhir and Wanyama on the bench, not to mention Piette starting regularly.  Choiniere has been great, yet i feel Zouhir and Saliba have even higher ceilings. The sooner they start playing more, the better.

47 minutes ago, costarg said:

I like Choiniere and all, but this is good for all sides. CFM has Saliba, Zouhir and Wanyama on the bench, not to mention Piette starting regularly.  Choiniere has been great, yet i feel Zouhir and Saliba have even higher ceilings. The sooner they start playing more, the better.

Basically it is another example of the benefit of having Canadians infiltrate clubs throughout the league vs being concentrated on just the 3 Canadian teams.  The “Big 3” will always provide a potential pipeline for Canadian talent so the more guys we can export to US teams, the better.  

14 hours ago, An Observer said:

Tbh, I have watched him a lot this year. He has not been good.  A big step down from last year. Maybe this has been a distraction for him but he has constantly been giving the ball away and loosing it in possession.  His dead ball skills seemed to have dipped as well.  He still has the lungs to run for 90 but I was thinking just last match that he is not starting material for the MNT.

I haven't watched Montreal as much this year so I would like feedback on my take upcoming but it seems like he is being tasked to do more deeper tactical midfield positioning alongside Piette, providing cover for the wingbacks and front three as well as shielding the back three.  Perhaps he feels that the set up doesn't play to his strengths?

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I haven't watched Montreal as much this year so I would like feedback on my take upcoming but it seems like he is being tasked to do more deeper tactical midfield positioning alongside Piette, providing cover for the wingbacks and front three as well as shielding the back three.  Perhaps he feels that the set up doesn't play to his strengths?

Ya, he's definitely playing a different role, exactly like you said, deeper with Piette.  They're doing ok, but that middle formation doesn't bring out the best of either of them.  Piette is at his best when playing solo destroyer just above the CB's.  Choiniere was really encouraged to use his lungs and make attacking runs last year, he was probably the only CFM player with carte blanche under Losada, he really trusted and believed in him.   

Choiniere could surely benefit from a change, I see this as win/win for all.  Considering the players on the bench, it would make no sense for Renard to keep him and pay him his full value.

Unfortunately lots of CFM fans online are using this as another reason to bash Saputo.  

Edited by costarg

6 minutes ago, costarg said:

Choiniere could surely benefit from a change, I see this as win/win for all.  Considering the players on the bench, it would make no sense for Renard to keep him and pay him his full value.

Unfortunately lots of CFM fans online are using this as another reason to bash Saputo.  

It's a win for all except for Montreal and their supporters. Choiniere is by far the best midfielder on the team and probably the best player at the club. There is no reason to lose a homegrown talent who has been with the club since he was 12 and who has developed into an all star unless you're getting a big transfer fee in return- something Montreal supporters don't think will happen here, because he's likely going to stay in MLS. As for the bench options, neither Saliba or Zouhir are close to MC in quality, and the latter hasn't even proven that he's an MLS player. We can talk about potential, and I do think both have so much potential beyond this club or even this league, but for a club that needs to get extremely lucky with the players it develops in order to be remotely successful, losing their biggest success story over what's realistically probably not a big amount is extremely crushing.

As for his drop in form this year, I think it might be a bit overstated here. For one, the season is only 9 games long, 7 of which have been on the road, both games at Saputo, he played quite well.

If we think like CANMNT supporters, this is great. Choiniere could find a spot somewhere like Miami or Columbus (Nancy clearly loved him) and help them win a title, and Montreal can give Saliba a clear slot to break out this year, but for Montreal, this is really quite bad.

55 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

It's a win for all except for Montreal and their supporters. Choiniere is by far the best midfielder on the team and probably the best player at the club. There is no reason to lose a homegrown talent who has been with the club since he was 12 and who has developed into an all star unless you're getting a big transfer fee in return- something Montreal supporters don't think will happen here, because he's likely going to stay in MLS. As for the bench options, neither Saliba or Zouhir are close to MC in quality, and the latter hasn't even proven that he's an MLS player. We can talk about potential, and I do think both have so much potential beyond this club or even this league, but for a club that needs to get extremely lucky with the players it develops in order to be remotely successful, losing their biggest success story over what's realistically probably not a big amount is extremely crushing.

As for his drop in form this year, I think it might be a bit overstated here. For one, the season is only 9 games long, 7 of which have been on the road, both games at Saputo, he played quite well.

If we think like CANMNT supporters, this is great. Choiniere could find a spot somewhere like Miami or Columbus (Nancy clearly loved him) and help them win a title, and Montreal can give Saliba a clear slot to break out this year, but for Montreal, this is really quite bad.

I see your point, but I think there is still enough time in his contract for CFM to get something interesting out of the deal.

Given Montreal's mission statement, the only logical option is to transfer Choiniere.  They kinda have to, there is a major jam at midfield and they're hurting their development model by having Wanyama, Piette and Choiniere there.  It's too early to sell Zouhir or Saliba.  They won't get anything out of Piette or Wanyama, but they're valuable in developing the kids, so it's a no brainer.

I don't think Choiniere will ever draw top dollar regardless of his stats.  The biggest mistake CFM made with Choiniere was playing him all over the place the past 4 years, so no one really knows his real ideal role and profile.  Any buyer won't really know what they're getting outside of a super fit high IQ footballer.  That's what will reduce his transfer value more than anything else.

We have so many young Quebecers coming up, the local fans should be cheering that instead of mourning the departure of a homegrown.  I hope he moves on and kicks ass, same I hope for all young/middle career Canadians.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Choiniere could find a spot somewhere like Miami or Columbus (Nancy clearly loved him)

I don't believe he was a consistent, first choice starter under Nancy as he became under Losada, and his current coach is a former Nancy assistant. 

Maybe Nancy and Milhouse make a move to acquire him as a possible replacement for Nagbe down the road.

7 minutes ago, costarg said:

I see your point, but I think there is still enough time in his contract for CFM to get something interesting out of the deal.

Given Montreal's mission statement, the only logical option is to transfer Choiniere.  They kinda have to, there is a major jam at midfield and they're hurting their development model by having Wanyama, Piette and Choiniere there.  It's too early to sell Zouhir or Saliba.  They won't get anything out of Piette or Wanyama, but they're valuable in developing the kids, so it's a no brainer.

I don't think Choiniere will ever draw top dollar regardless of his stats.  The biggest mistake CFM made with Choiniere was playing him all over the place the past 4 years, so no one really knows his real ideal role and profile.  Any buyer won't really know what they're getting outside of a super fit high IQ footballer.  That's what will reduce his transfer value more than anything else.

We have so many young Quebecers coming up, the local fans should be cheering that instead of mourning the departure of a homegrown.  I hope he moves on and kicks ass, same I hope for all young/middle career Canadians.

Fans are always going to root for the badge, not the player- I don't think a player being a Quebecker is as important as the player being good- to be clear, I think the value that Choiniere represents as someone who came up through every step of the academy isn't necessarily "look at how talented local guys are" and rather "if we want good players, we need to develop and keep them". Fans here see how the rest of the league is growing, and every step of the way, it seems that Saputo has no interest in actually building up a top MLS team here. He now lives in Bologna, has a 50M (?) player in Zirkzee, so he doesn't care about this Choiniere stuff or making Montreal a team that can compete with the top of the league.

I agree with what you're saying re: can't sell the other players, and MC won't command a big (1-5M) European fee, just that I think the team needs him, and if they will sell him, sell him like they did Kone and Johnston, hopefully to reinvest, not just so that we can replace him with a moneyball type intraleague move for some random MLS lifer that doesn't make Montreal a better team. This is especially considering the fact that I'm pretty sure MC isn't being outlandish with his demands- he probably wants to be paid like a top player on his team ($650k?), and Montreal wants him to take a hometown discount ($400k?) and won't play ball. If it comes out that he wants DP money, then it's a different story.

As for Montreal's mission statement, their development model, all of that, it's only one side of the coin- the other being that there is a fanbase, a rapidly growing one, fans want to see wins, it's extremely discouraging to know that the second a player gets good, he will leave, and not only will he leave to go grow his career at a higher level (Which everyone gets), but he'll do that with a relatively lateral move to another MLS club who actually does want to win games.

I'm excited at the opportunity for the path to be cleared for Saliba to take that starting slot and become a big player for Montreal, and for Zouhir to finally climb the depth chart. Choiniere will look awesome on a good MLS team with a lot of good players, where he can play a more defined role. As a Montreal fan, I want to see us compete for titles, win Canadian hardware, do damage in the Champions League- that's why you go to games and follow the team. Personal bias has me hoping he does resign, but ultimately, it's better for the national team if he goes elsewhere.

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Fans are always going to root for the badge, not the player- I don't think a player being a Quebecker is as important as the player being good- to be clear, I think the value that Choiniere represents as someone who came up through every step of the academy isn't necessarily "look at how talented local guys are" and rather "if we want good players, we need to develop and keep them". Fans here see how the rest of the league is growing, and every step of the way, it seems that Saputo has no interest in actually building up a top MLS team here. He now lives in Bologna, has a 50M (?) player in Zirkzee, so he doesn't care about this Choiniere stuff or making Montreal a team that can compete with the top of the league.

I agree with what you're saying re: can't sell the other players, and MC won't command a big (1-5M) European fee, just that I think the team needs him, and if they will sell him, sell him like they did Kone and Johnston, hopefully to reinvest, not just so that we can replace him with a moneyball type intraleague move for some random MLS lifer that doesn't make Montreal a better team. This is especially considering the fact that I'm pretty sure MC isn't being outlandish with his demands- he probably wants to be paid like a top player on his team ($650k?), and Montreal wants him to take a hometown discount ($400k?) and won't play ball. If it comes out that he wants DP money, then it's a different story.

As for Montreal's mission statement, their development model, all of that, it's only one side of the coin- the other being that there is a fanbase, a rapidly growing one, fans want to see wins, it's extremely discouraging to know that the second a player gets good, he will leave, and not only will he leave to go grow his career at a higher level (Which everyone gets), but he'll do that with a relatively lateral move to another MLS club who actually does want to win games.

I'm excited at the opportunity for the path to be cleared for Saliba to take that starting slot and become a big player for Montreal, and for Zouhir to finally climb the depth chart. Choiniere will look awesome on a good MLS team with a lot of good players, where he can play a more defined role. As a Montreal fan, I want to see us compete for titles, win Canadian hardware, do damage in the Champions League- that's why you go to games and follow the team. Personal bias has me hoping he does resign, but ultimately, it's better for the national team if he goes elsewhere.

As a Montreal supporter since before the MLS years, the importance of having a Quebecois star is close to the importance of winning. I'm not saying I agree with that mentality but the pressure to have local guys for the Impact/Habs/Als is more so than most pro sports teams given the french identity side of things. Piette has been getting the loudest cheers when announced for years despite being nowhere near the top player on the team. Losing Choiniere would hurt the fan base for sure, especially if it's on bad terms.

13 minutes ago, Fresh Prince of MTL said:

As a Montreal supporter since before the MLS years, the importance of having a Quebecois star is close to the importance of winning. I'm not saying I agree with that mentality but the pressure to have local guys for the Impact/Habs/Als is more so than most pro sports teams given the french identity side of things. Piette has been getting the loudest cheers when announced for years despite being nowhere near the top player on the team. Losing Choiniere would hurt the fan base for sure, especially if it's on bad terms.

I completely agree- to clarify what I meant, I don’t think fans will or should celebrate Choiniere leaving because it opens up room for two more Quebeckers to get playing time and thus increases the number of active Quebeckers playing in MLS. Losing Choiniere makes the team worse which is the main issue here and the thing people care about. Having a couple replacement options who also came up through the club is huge, fans do and will continue to cheer for them, though club supporters care less about development and more about results. As national team fans, we have the privilege of cheering for any player who gets to see playing time, especially the younger ones, but Montreal needs to win games, and Choiniere is one of the biggest contributors to making that happen.

13 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

https://x.com/christineroger/status/1786403494389514411?s=46&t=spIaqlQfufAO3HreB1455Q

team offered him $350k, he wants $600k. Reasonable demand from him, terrible offer from the club. 

Agree but I think $600k is pushing the envelope a bit. I do think he should go for it, but as some have mentioned he's been average this year. I've only seen bits and pieces of a few matches, but I thought the same thing. 

Anything in the $450-500k range he should accept, imo. These are American dollars too, let's not forget, and he's 25 years old.

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Agree but I think $600k is pushing the envelope a bit. I do think he should go for it, but as some have mentioned he's been average this year. I've only seen bits and pieces of a few matches, but I thought the same thing. 

Anything in the $450-500k range he should accept, imo. These are American dollars too, let's not forget, and he's 25 years old.

He’s an all star and the club’s best player- those players get anywhere from 500-800k/yr- even more in cases like Laryea and Osorio (we can argue that MC is not on their level, but he is a more recent all star than either). 

I disagree that he has been average, but also, Montreal has only played two of its 9 games at home so far- obviously that will impact performance as players play better at home. Still, a “weak” stretch of 9 or so games (one in which he’s already come out of, if there was one in the first place), should not affect a player’s long term salary. 25 is a player’s prime; his next contract will be the biggest he ever received, he needs to make sure he’s getting what he’s worth. Courtois seems to agree: https://x.com/jfteotonio/status/1786435057751658555?s=46&t=spIaqlQfufAO3HreB1455Q

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

He’s an all star and the club’s best player- those players get anywhere from 500-800k/yr- even more in cases like Laryea and Osorio (we can argue that MC is not on their level, but he is a more recent all star than either). 

I disagree that he has been average, but also, Montreal has only played two of its 9 games at home so far- obviously that will impact performance as players play better at home. Still, a “weak” stretch of 9 or so games (one in which he’s already come out of, if there was one in the first place), should not affect a player’s long term salary. 25 is a player’s prime; his next contract will be the biggest he ever received, he needs to make sure he’s getting what he’s worth. Courtois seems to agree: https://x.com/jfteotonio/status/1786435057751658555?s=46&t=spIaqlQfufAO3HreB1455Q

Wasn't he an All-Star in the same way Kamal Miller was an All-star....Commissioners Pick?

Not saying he's garbage or has been garbage, but for me there is an Asterik next to those All-stars.

And while yes he was arguably the most important player, it's not like he blew the doors off. There wasn't really a stand out on Montreal last year as far as I am concerned and Choniere seemed the best on an average team. Again, I hope this doesn't come off as slagging him, I am just trying to get across what I believe his value is league-wide, which is that of a solid MLS player, not a star (even though he was a "star" for MTL last year...if that makes sense). 

There is a thread about this topic in the MLS subreddit. There are fans in there from teams like Kansas City, Vancouvre, or Philadelphia, saying they would take him, but the post that stood out to me was the one that said something along the lines of "good player....he could start for most teams in MLS".....notice that's not ALL teams in MLS....most....and that's my belief as well. 

25 year old twice capped Canadian international midfielder, can play multiple positions, and can start for most clubs. I think you're almost overpaying with a contract of 600k. Again, he should go for it, but just saying.... 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Wasn't he an All-Star in the same way Kamal Miller was an All-star....Commissioners Pick?

Not saying he's garbage or has been garbage, but for me there is an Asterik next to those All-stars.

And while yes he was arguably the most important player, it's not like he blew the doors off. There wasn't really a stand out on Montreal last year as far as I am concerned and Choniere seemed the best on an average team. Again, I hope this doesn't come off as slagging him, I am just trying to get across what I believe his value is league-wide, which is that of a solid MLS player, not a star (even though he was a "star" for MTL last year...if that makes sense). 

There is a thread about this topic in the MLS subreddit. There are fans in there from teams like Kansas City, Vancouvre, or Philadelphia, saying they would take him, but the post that stood out to me was the one that said something along the lines of "good player....he could start for most teams in MLS".....notice that's not ALL teams in MLS....most....and that's my belief as well. 

25 year old twice capped Canadian international midfielder, can play multiple positions, and can start for most clubs. I think you're almost overpaying with a contract of 600k. Again, he should go for it, but just saying.... 

Asterisk or not, he shouldn't earn salary X because he's an all-star, he should earn it because he has played that well. He was the all star because he was the best player on the team, and it's that fact that should guide his salary. For comparison, here are some of his teammates (from last year): Lassi Lappalainen earns $660,000. Aaron Herrera earned $820k, Ahmed Hamdi earned $600k, Miljevic, he of rec league bench brawl fame, $520k- even Mason Toye who is being paid on potential is at $600k. I don't buy that Choiniere is any less of a player than any of those guys.

For what MLS fans of other clubs are saying- I would take that with a grain of salt. He's not a player whose contributions show up on the goal scoring or assist making ranking last. He doesn't have a freak physique or european pedigree, so unless you actually watch him (something very few MLS fans outside of Montreal do), you don't have a good take on him. We talk about Ali Ahmed like he's the next big Canadian export, a fantastic player with top european league potential, and you look at his stats, and it's 4G/1A in 39 pro games at the age of 23. Not impressive. But you watch him and you know there's something real there. Same on a smaller scale for a guy like Nathan Saliba who is very hard to rate unless you watch him, but he is clearly a very strong talent. Not to mention, before he was even capped, most of this board were demanding that Herdman call him up because he's one of the best Canadian midfielders in the world, better than Osorio, etc.

Anyways, in sum, I think $600k is reasonable considering who out there earns those fees, I don't think that his agent would've went to Bogert to leak this if he wasn't confident that other teams out there would grant him those wishes, his very own coach said he should get paid what he deserves which is as damning towards Montreal's approach as one of their employees can be. I personally think that this is just a tactic to get Renard to take the negotiations seriously and both sides are motivated to get a deal done, but if they can't, I'm positive someone will pay him that money.

Haven't watched any MLS this yr, but last season Choiniere along with Saliba were the 2 best CFM players for most of the yr. If he is being played in a more defensive set up with Piette as some have mentioned, that's a change from last yr and perhaps he is just adjusting.

Lassi Lappalainen earns $660,000. Aaron Herrera earned $820k, Ahmed Hamdi earned $600k, Miljevic, he of rec league bench brawl fame, $520k- even Mason Toye who is being paid on potential is at $600k. I don't buy that Choiniere is any less of a player than any of those guys.

These guys are all overpaid though, and Choniere is obviously underpaid, but that's MLS.

Guys manage to convice clubs to pay X number of dollars and it doesn't always align correctly with their value. Hell, that's not an MLS thing, that's a pro sports thing. 

He was the all star because he was the best player on the team, and it's that fact that should guide his salary.

Yes and Montreal should pay him what he's worth, but as you can see above they've tied up money in some bad contracts.

I don't buy that Choiniere is any less of a player than any of those guys.

Not making that argument.

For what MLS fans of other clubs are saying- I would take that with a grain of salt. He's not a player whose contributions show up on the goal scoring or assist making ranking last. He doesn't have a freak physique or european pedigree, so unless you actually watch him (something very few MLS fans outside of Montreal do), you don't have a good take on him.

It's a pretty good indicator of his perceived value, actually. The comments on him were generally positive too, and it was nice to see he's appreciated by fans of American teams. 

Anyways, in sum, I think $600k is reasonable considering who out there earns those fees, I don't think that his agent would've went to Bogert to leak this if he wasn't confident that other teams out there would grant him those wishes, his very own coach said he should get paid what he deserves which is as damning towards Montreal's approach as one of their employees can be. I personally think that this is just a tactic to get Renard to take the negotiations seriously and both sides are motivated to get a deal done, but if they can't, I'm positive someone will pay him that money.

I personally think $600k is bordering on a tough sell for the reasons you mention. He's not a freak athlete and he doesn't have european pedigree. He's not dominating the scoresheet. You're not bringing him in to be a star or to sell jerserys, you're bringing him in to be a dependable and proven utility knife. That may or may not be worth $600k, it depends on what a teams salary situation is, I guess.

He'll be on about $500k if he doubles his salary right? That's a damn good raise and for what he offers is relatively attractive to suitors, I think. If you're Choniere you want to balance getting a hefty raise without pricing yourself out of a move. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

These guys are all overpaid though, and Choniere is obviously underpaid, but that's MLS.

Guys manage to convice clubs to pay X number of dollars and it doesn't always align correctly with their value. Hell, that's not an MLS thing, that's a pro sports thing. 

Yes and Montreal should pay him what he's worth, but as you can see above they've tied up money in some bad contracts.

Not making that argument.

It's a pretty good indicator of his perceived value, actually. The comments on him were generally positive too, and it was nice to see he's appreciated by fans of American teams. 

I personally think $600k is bordering on a tough sell for the reasons you mention. He's not a freak athlete and he doesn't have european pedigree. He's not dominating the scoresheet. You're not bringing him in to be a star or to sell jerserys, you're bringing him in to be a dependable and proven utility knife. That may or may not be worth $600k, it depends on what a teams salary situation is, I guess.

He'll be on about $500k if he doubles his salary right? That's a damn good raise and for what he offers is relatively attractive to suitors, I think. If you're Choniere you want to balance getting a hefty raise without pricing yourself out of a move. 

Academy guys/homegrowns always get boned on their contracts compared to players being brought in from abroad, it's just the way it is in MLS. Just look at Sirois and Saliba making under $100k compared to some of the others listed