Mathieu Choinière

Big_M

5 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Do you have a link? Not saying it didn't happen, but all I've found is this interview with OS:

I have a (now-expired) Zoom link, but I can't share those here.

Canada Soccer sent out an email for "an in-person and virtual availability" with Herdman and Ali Ahmed that took place on Monday. It was presumably organized through CONCACAF.

I can't tell you how many outlets were on the call (or in person) as I rarely do that kind of work any more. I do still get Canada Soccer's emails, though.

• 2 weeks later...

It’s crazy how important he is to Montreal this season, 1 draw and 3 losses in four games without him causing them to fall out of a playoff spot. With Montreals willingness to sell players and Montreals loaded midfield I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in Europe by January.

39 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

It’s crazy how important he is to Montreal this season, 1 draw and 3 losses in four games without him causing them to fall out of a playoff spot. With Montreals willingness to sell players and Montreals loaded midfield I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in Europe by January.

If he was getting links to Europe we'd probably have heard them by now.

10 minutes ago, VinceA said:

If he was getting links to Europe we'd probably have heard them by now.

If you look back at the Johnston thread from last year he didn’t have any real links until November when there was a Bologna link, before that was some fans making shouts for him to go to Europe but nothing else. All of our MLS players who had links to Europe didn’t come up until later in the season because that’s when their season is coming to an end. So I disagree with your statement, I think barring a huge fall off we will be seeing some rumors floating around in September-January.

1 hour ago, Jack1997 said:

I would be surprised if not for the success Montreal had moving on Johnston, Kone and Mihalovic. 

17 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

If you look back at the Johnston thread from last year he didn’t have any real links until November when there was a Bologna link, before that was some fans making shouts for him to go to Europe but nothing else. All of our MLS players who had links to Europe didn’t come up until later in the season because that’s when their season is coming to an end. So I disagree with your statement, I think barring a huge fall off we will be seeing some rumors floating around in September-January.

Celtic was pretty much the first concrete AJ rumour and it feels like we went from hearing about it to it being official in like a week. I doubt Choiniere has an agent behind him with the resources to drop a bunch of transfer rumours to the press. I still think he’s an MLS lifer purely because I think he can carve out a very lucrative career here, but I wouldn’t be shocked if we don’t hear anything until Christmas and by the second week in January, he’s abroad and playing.

I think we overrate our guys too much when it comes to transfers, especially after how well WCQ went.

Waterman and Miller had a ton of rumours that died a death. Not to mention JMR.

Nelson feels like an anomaly in 2023.

And you have guys seeing Ali Ahmed have a good half season and are like EUROPE WHEN when there's nothing to suggest anyone outside MLS knows who he is.

We need to chill out.

Edited by VinceA

2 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I think we overrate our guys too much when it comes to transfers, especially after how well WCQ went.

And you have guys seeing Ali Ahmed have a good have season and are like EUROPE WHEN when there's nothing to suggest anyone outside MLS knows who he is.

We need to chill out.

This time of year in Europe shows you people write what people want to hear about transfers. The job is not really to write the truth, that only helps sometimes.

We Canadians want to hear people are going to higher levels and journalists who care about Canadians try to find ways to write that.

Still the speculation is a lot of fun.

3 hours ago, VinceA said:

And you have guys seeing Ali Ahmed have a good half season and are like EUROPE WHEN when there's nothing to suggest anyone outside MLS knows who he is.

We need to chill out.

It's interesting that we make such a big deal over Ahmed and no American fans or analysts have pointed him out as a danger or a rising talent. Maybe we do overrate our guys. 

Same with Choniere. The Americans were well aware we sent a B team. I heard at least one American mention that Ugbo would have made our group stronger. Crickets on Choniere though. Technically he's an all-star, but by Commissioner's pick, right? Seems this has moved the needle up here, but not down south.

Don't get me wrong, I think both players deserve looks moving forward, but acting like a European move is on the cards is premature - especially for Ahmed. Now, could Montreal manage to sell Choniere for a couple of million? I wouldn't doubt it based on the recent past. Wouldn't bet on it though.

On 7/14/2023 at 3:41 PM, Obinna said:

It's interesting that we make such a big deal over Ahmed and no American fans or analysts have pointed him out as a danger or a rising talent. Maybe we do overrate our guys. 

Same with Choniere. The Americans were well aware we sent a B team. I heard at least one American mention that Ugbo would have made our group stronger. Crickets on Choniere though. Technically he's an all-star, but by Commissioner's pick, right? Seems this has moved the needle up here, but not down south.

Don't get me wrong, I think both players deserve looks moving forward, but acting like a European move is on the cards is premature - especially for Ahmed. Now, could Montreal manage to sell Choniere for a couple of million? I wouldn't doubt it based on the recent past. Wouldn't bet on it though.

Accurate.  However the commentators seemed complement him regularly during last nights game, even saying the all-star game should help him raise his stock and get visibility.  They definitely knew who he was and what he can do. 

Choiniere got shifted from midfield to LWB when Saliba came on, and the commentator immediately showered Choiniere with more praise regarding his versatility and the value in that.

I feel Choiniere's biggest hurdle is he doesn't stand out.  Looks like a regular guy.  No multi-coloured, long or wild hair.  He's on the short side, not very imposing.  You can't spot him on the field easily, doesn't wear his shorts high like Piette, he just blends in.  Johnston and Ahmed are probably the most comparable, however Johnston is visibly stockier and blonde. Ahmed stands out for his style with the ball, he's got a distinct trot and flair when taking guys on.  while Choiniere, again is very pragmatic and not flashy.