Theo Bair

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We met a sibling of Theo's at our watch party, wearing a Bair shirt, thrilled to see her brother on the pitch. Very exciting moment for him and I am sure for the whole family.

I also appreciate that a CMNT family member would come to a watch party and not sit at home, a lovely set of values. Learned a few other things but most importantly he has been happy at Motherwell, so I suppose his preseason starts there soon.

And she refused to divulge what his next move would be! Selfish! 😆

1 hour ago, PastPros said:

I know it's a very small sample but I can see why Marsch had not played him yet. He is relatively slow (compared to Tani) and might struggle to press and counter-attack effectively.

He will be a great asset against physical CONCACAF teams, though.

I think we were stretched and he was more alone to chase it. You can see a lot of his Motherwell goals the team is attacking and more compressed. He's not doing it alone up high. Also in defence we weren't pressing together so he didn't go for anyone, he hung back.

30 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

BBC Scotland reporter is hearing that he is headed to newly promoted Auxerre in Ligue1.

Edit:

L'Equipe now has it

I love it...him going to Auxerre

43 minutes ago, toontownman said:

£1.3m/$2m (CAD) ish. 

Great club to move to, although a possible relegation battle lies ahead.

My memory of Auxerre is not as a small club at all. I've seen them at the top. But then so many French clubs are struggling, and new clubs rising. 

I think it'll be alright, it's really an amazing move if it's true. 

1 hour ago, Jack1997 said:

Another Canadian In a top 5 league!

Auxerre as a town is about the same size as Sarnia in Southern Ontario terms. The club rose to prominence due to a legendary coach called Guy Roux who ran a really good youth academy setup that produced lots of top stars including Eric Cantona and Laurent Blanc. Not as strong since the eventual decline and exit of Guy Roux but they built up enough of a fanbase along the way to still be a big enough club in French terms to be able to stick around at Ligue 2 long enough to be able to put together last season's championship winning season.

15 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

My memory of Auxerre is not as a small club at all. I've seen them at the top. But then so many French clubs are struggling, and new clubs rising. 

I think it'll be alright, it's really an amazing move if it's true. 

They played David and Lille right at the beginning of the season before the World Cup.  David had a huge game and blew them away. 

Looking it up, that was their only season in Ligue 1 in the last 12 years. 

But they did win League 2 this last year.

Will be a fight but a great stage for him to perform on.

3 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

They played David and Lille right at the beginning of the season before the World Cup.  David had a huge game and blew them away. 

Looking it up, that was their only season in Ligue 1 in the last 12 years. 

But they did win League 2 this last year.

Will be a fight but a great stage for him to perform on.

Auxrre relegated in the 22-23 Ligue 1 season where an extra team went down because they moved from 20 to 18 teams the next season. They were essentially the extra team to go down.

They then won League 2 and bounced back after only 1 season 

Maybe I'm old, the team was key to France winning their first World Cup and was powerful in the 90s. We (Barça) bought Laurent Blanc from them iirc. I suppose it's a case of falling by the wayside. Back then France was a weaker league and modest clubs came to the fore. 

I'm surprised they've been out of Ligue 1 for so long.

3 hours ago, jhoops__ said:

Piette being phased out.   Too many young midfielders in the mix now.

I don't think so yet, as we simply don't have anyone else to occupy the defensive midfielder niche. Loturi might be a possibility down the line but he need to prove himself at a higher level then Ross County before that...

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Auxrre relegated in the 22-23 Ligue 1 season where an extra team went down because they moved from 20 to 18 teams the next season. They were essentially the extra team to go down.

They then won League 2 and bounced back after only 1 season 

I guess that's one way to look at.

They were 17th in a league where they got 4 extra games against poor teams.  They are still relegated if they finish there in this season.

They won Ligue 2 so they have something. Be an interesting watch.

One that note, watching them and Bair - they already have 3 strikers who scored goals in Ligue 2 last year; interesting to see what the plan is.

5 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I guess that's one way to look at.

They were 17th in a league where they got 4 extra games against poor teams.  They are still relegated if they finish there in this season.

They won Ligue 2 so they have something. Be an interesting watch.

One that note, watching them and Bair - they already have 3 strikers who scored goals in Ligue 2 last year; interesting to see what the plan is.

Plus playing in Ligue 1 he will be able to play against all sorts of elite players week in week out and in the process he will continue to get better and for us Canadians isn't that what we ultimately want?

5 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Did he do anything in his appearance? Can’t recall but definitely saw he was a step slower. 

Yeah, you could tell he struggled a bit on pace and agility, but he did have two "man against boys" moments as I recall - where he basically won the ball from two defenders and they could not stop him despite their feeble protestations.  I'm not sure about his future with our team or Auxerre for that matter, but there's a skillset there that is tantalizing if you could figure out how to use it...