Theo Bair

Auxerre provides some top 5 league experience.

They may also get relegated to Ligue 2, or worse if they are anything like Troyes.

Playing in Ligue 2 wouldn't be the worst, better than SPL with Motherwell, arguably. 

Part of me would have preferred Rangers or Celtic, but maybe their rumoured interest wasn't real...

Either way, looks like this will get done. Excited to see what he can do

21 minutes ago, Obinna said:

They may also get relegated to Ligue 2, or worse if they are anything like Troyes.

Playing in Ligue 2 wouldn't be the worst, better than SPL with Motherwell, arguably. 

Part of me would have preferred Rangers or Celtic, but maybe their rumoured interest wasn't real...

If they get relegated, they will loan him, and if they stay down, they will sell him. That’s what Troyes did with Mama Baldé who was loaned to Lyon last season and subsequently bought this year, after Troyes got relegated once more. I think Bair has left a strong enough impression in Scotland that Motherwell, or any other similar team would be thrilled to take him back if Auxerre go right back down. 

Celtic’s striker, Furuhashi scored 14 goals last year and 27 prior, and Rangers’ striker Cyriel Dessers scored 16- one more than Bair. I think Auxerre will actually give him more of a chance to play than either of them, given the competition. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Rangers were not

19 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

That's a big step up. Good for him. Does OneSoccer have Ligue 1 for next season?

Bein Sports had it last season, I think OneSoccer had a separate deal to show Lille games only. I think Bein’s deal has expired though and Ligue 1 is looking for a new carrier.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Does anyone know if Auxerre is at least better than Troyes when Ugbo was there?

They are all these smaller French cities with money--Auxerre is surrounded by the best vineyards of Burgundy, some of the finest in the world--who are vying to consolidate in top flight. The population base is weak and the stadium is small, under 20,000. It is similar to Troyes but perhaps even smaller (it is just 50 km from Troyes, btw), it relies on the region supporting it (like Villareal for example). The biggest city in the region, Dijon, is in 2nd division, but their stadium is even smaller.

French football does not correlate well with its population centres and geography. Many cities amongst the largest in France can't keep a team in top flight or struggle (Strasbourg, Bordeaux). Paris only has one team, plus one in 2nd, and then the suburbs, even working class suburbs, don't have a team. 

So it is the modern scenario where a deep-pocket owner and tv money can create new contenders: the clubs that make it work are often not the historical ones in top flight, which is how you get Brentford and Hoffenheim and perhaps Villareal being the most consistent (though they relegated 12 years ago as well).

Troyes being City Group, they should be better, look at Girona.

I have no idea what this Auxerre is about, but I suspect they are a likely relegation candidate and staying up in Ligue 1 will be a success story for them. For example: is signing Bair an indication that they know what they are doing or that they don't?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, Ed_S said:

Very moving post by his father on FB, an open letter to Stuart Kettlewell, Motherwell manager, thanking and praising him for getting Theo to this place in his career. And that video released is awesome. 

Kettlewell is an excellent man manager.  I have heard very positive stories about how Kettlewell brought him in and gave him the confidence to take over the main striker role after they lost Kevin van Veen.  

Bair's manager at St Johnstone, Steven McLean, was a former player there and honestly, in way over his head.  It was his first managerial job too and got it full time after a run of 6 or so half decent results that kept them up the season before.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

is signing Bair an indication that they know what they are doing or that they don't?

Sounds like a calculated roll of the dice to me.  It might hit, it might not.  But the odds are good, he's got all the tools.

Thrilled he got himself a 4 year deal.  One less thing to worry about, gives him some breathing room to focus on his game.

4 hours ago, Ed_S said:

Very moving post by his father on FB, an open letter to Stuart Kettlewell, Motherwell manager, thanking and praising him for getting Theo to this place in his career. And that video released is awesome. 

Any link to that Ed?

I also think that 4 years and the no 9 is amazing, that is a real vote of confidence in him from a team that could struggle to stay in Ligue 1.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist