Charles-Andres Brym

Vince193

11 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

Anybody else get griezman vibes from Brym? I feel like he’s a guy who will really thrive when he’s the focal point of a team but struggles when the play doesn’t revolve around him.

Nope...

But honestly, you may have watched him more than me.

40 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

Anybody else get griezman vibes from Brym? I feel like he’s a guy who will really thrive when he’s the focal point of a team but struggles when the play doesn’t revolve around him.

I see what you're saying- I've compared him to Larin in a similar sense. Really reserving judgment on him until we see what happens with Rotterdam next year.

Assuming he sticks around Rotterdam this time, I'm gonna make an effort to watch his games. I want to see what exactly it is that he does because I didn't watch him in the Eerste Divisie but whatever he was doing there seemed to work quite well.

Is he a striker? Is he a winger? Is he a second striker? Is he an auxiliary FW? 

Who knows? Not I!

Edited by VinceA

10 hours ago, sose said:

Whatever he's doing in Europe is not translating with the CanMNT.... he just runs around aimlessly mainly lol

jogs would be a more accurate description. Work rate was very poor given there were tired legs out there and the subs need to bring energy like Shaff did

1 minute ago, Kadenge said:

jogs would be a more accurate description. Work rate was very poor given there were tired legs out there and the subs need to bring energy like Shaff did

Different players. JRR wasn't running down players either and the USA changed both their CBs so not much tired legs.

Compare Shaff to who he replaced. He was directly going at the fullbacks...and that's what you want from a LWB

As for Brym theres as actually a few times, he got the ball and just went forward with it. One time he was fouled, the other time he lost it. 

It's funny because @Jack1997 kinda described how he plays. He works off a change of pace and likes to be on the ball and have the freedom to determine the play. He's definitely a second striker @VinceA, who starts from wide positions and drifts into the middle.That's what I seen him do a lot with Eindohoven this past year.His challenge is taking it up a level as the game is a lot quicker. 

I want to see more from him, but my criticism is metered because of his limited minutes. Some guys would look different when they start the game Vs coming off the bench.

53 minutes ago, Shway said:

Different players. JRR wasn't running down players either and the USA changed both their CBs so not much tired legs.

Compare Shaff to who he replaced. He was directly going at the fullbacks...and that's what you want from a LWB

As for Brym theres as actually a few times, he got the ball and just went forward with it. One time he was fouled, the other time he lost it. 

It's funny because @Jack1997 kinda described how he plays. He works off a change of pace and likes to be on the ball and have the freedom to determine the play. He's definitely a second striker @VinceA, who starts from wide positions and drifts into the middle.That's what I seen him do a lot with Eindohoven this past year.His challenge is taking it up a level as the game is a lot quicker. 

I want to see more from him, but my criticism is metered because of his limited minutes. Some guys would look different when they start the game Vs coming off the bench.

good points, but to me I would have preferred to see Jayden vs Brym subbed in. Jayden's speed and ability to take on players 1v1 through the middle may have put some pressure on the US mids/defenders. Brym for Canada has never been a high energy player so his intro at that point in the game was puzzling

21 minutes ago, maccaliam said:

I am in the camp that does not understand Herdman’s fixation on Brym, but I still have respect for his willingness to take that penalty. That takes bravery and he gets a bit of grace from me for the miss (which actually would have been quite a good penalty if only about a few centimetres lower). 

I suspect he's a player that trains well but doesn't show it in games, at least at this level. 

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

I suspect he's a player that trains well but doesn't show it in games, at least at this level. 

You are probably correct. He probably also follows instructions well, which like Liam Fraser, means Herdman knows what he will get when that player steps on the pitch. Sometimes coaches prefer a lower level of play for the guarantee of certain qualities. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mitchryan11 said:

dont understand how this guy will be in the dutch first divison this year he sucks on our national team

Sucks is kind of harsh. I would say "doesn't deserve so many looks given his performances". I think he has like 11 caps, but I think he gets 5 or 6 under a manager not named John Herdman. If he was complete trash for our national team he'd be one-and-done, but he has shown glimpses here and there if we are being fair. 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Sucks is kind of harsh. I would say "doesn't deserve so many looks given his performances". I think he has like 11 caps, but I think he gets 5 or 6 under a manager not named John Herdman. If he was complete trash for our national team he'd be one-and-done, but he has shown glimpses here and there if we are being fair. 

You gotta reeaaallllly squint to see those glimpses though 😐

While Zwolle was pushing to equalize late in the game Sparta had a break and it was a 2 on 1 that became a 2 on 2 where Brym was the forward without the ball running towards the net to give his teammate a passing option. I really thought he lacked a killer instinct and determined pursuit for a goal. He should have been salivating at the opportunity. His run seemed rather casual with a lack of  positional awareness where he didn't find or create an open lane. Late in the game he did well to maintain posession near the corner to kill time and frustrate Zwolle who fouled him and earned a yellow. Short cameo for Brym. Lauritsen is a big imposing figure at 6'4 who is quite lithe for his size and his finish was very tidy. From what I saw I don't see Brym taking his central striker role as a starter but as his substitute to provide relief. If Brym would start it would likely be on the wing as long as Lauritsen is healthy.

Edited by RojitoTO