Harry Paton

Fullback

• 4 weeks later...

He had a very good game today against Celtic. The motherwell fans have been really impressed.  Looks like been playing as a more defensive midfielder which is a position we kinda need depth in. He's been in really good form I wonder if he could get back in the NT picture. 

Edited by Nate3322

2 hours ago, Nate3322 said:

He had a very good game today against Celtic. The motherwell fans have been really impressed.  Looks like been playing as a more defensive midfielder which is a position we kinda need depth in. He's been in really good form I wonder if he could get back in the NT picture. 

Depth is very good to have. Perhaps we have a late bloomer in SPL.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere, but Paton made his return to the field this past Saturday in a 4-1 win over Livingston, in which Bair scored a brace. Perhaps his return was overshadowed by Bair's double, but it's arguably an important development to have him back. 

Unfortunately, there is only a single match day left in the SPL season, an away trip to Loturi's Ross County, which is Paton's old stomping ground, oddly enough.

So, not much chance left to get him back up to speed, but technically he's healthy and presumably available for selection in June....so what are his chances? We talk about a lack of CM options, so after Eustaquio and Kone things are wide open.

Choniere and Ahmed seem to be the favroites, but we cannot discount the veteran presence of Osorio, and we likely find room for Piette given his profile and play this season. Then, we have Fraser quietly putting together a good season down in Dallas, where he's starting every single match.

My knee-jerk reaction here is that Paton won't be called ahead of any of these guys. On the flipside, I personally think he was more involved than Choniere against Japan, and I think he's a bit of a different profile which may help his case, but then he can really only play midfield (I suspect) and even then he doesn't seem to have the legs of some of a Choniere or Ahmed. Then, there's the injury....

Anyways, just wanted to bump his thread and let folks know he's back. I don't think we call him, but good to have another potential option, if not for summer than hopefully later this fall. And for that matter I hope Loturi can get another look later in the year. Like Paton, he's unlikely to get a call to this next round of matches, I presume. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sad news. Having recently suffered a grade 3 high ankle sprain myself, I can really sympathize with him. Unlike myself, he's getting surgery and the best medical treatment out there, so I hope his recovery is successful and hope he can. Keep playing at the level which earned him a national team call.