Canadians in MLS - 2018 Season

Gian-Luca

19 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

There were comments post-game from Vanney in which he said that they lost a bit of their defensive shape when he brought on the subs, but I suspect this was his way of not publicly pointing the finger directly at Aketxe as it is difficult to see how Chapman (who was pretty solid defensively) or Ricketts let the team down in this respect. I am seeing some comments from TFC fans in other forums where they are claiming that Aketxe deserves to start next match because TFC don't score their 3rd goal without his shot. While that is true, they also don't give up the RSL goal without his giveaway deep in his own zone, so I'm not sure that the team is any further ahead as a result of the inclusion on this night.

Aketxe's open play shooting is a huge plus for this midfield.  When you have that kind of offensive weaponry which can change a match, it buys you more time and leeway with improving other aspects of your game.  I think with more time and influence from the team's on field leadership during training sessions,  the young Spaniard will get up to speed.  So for someone like Chapman, I still see him more as on the outside looking for this season.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Vancouver vs LA has been entertaining and even more so because we can watch 5 Canadians in action!  So far they are all acquitting themselves well.  

Kaye looking the best of the bunch. Very tidy, almost Hutch-like playing CM. I'm really impressed.

Kaye, Jakovic and Davies play 90, De Jong and Teibert were subbed out in the second half after the Whitecaps went down a goal. Some horrible tactics by Carl Robinson meant that Davies was completely wasted on the night. Kaye and Jakovic had good nights with Kaye making a key interception on the 2nd LAFC goal (helped by Waston's traditional "Fuck the keeper I will head it out myself" play). De Jong was good as well, unlucky subbed out in a poor tactical move while Teibert was ok in the first half but outmuscled on the game winning goal. 

I understand that Hurtado got -345 opta points for having bad hair.

I thought Kaye did his role really well tonight.  He had a play or two when he struggled with receiving passes from the back line resulting in turnovers but the other areas of his game were really strong, imo.  Great job by Michael Findlay in getting this guy on the field at the Gold Cup!

Canadian teams have 0 point (instead of a 9 point) weekend. Each team loses by two goals. Montreal loses 3-1 to NYRB with Piette playing 90, Beland-Goyette playing 33 and AJH 24. Petrasso presumably still out injured but this time Edwards wasn't even dressed. If Montreal doesn't want him, TFC would love to have him back (they could have used him today), for example.

TFC end up playing 7 Canucks, something which wasn't possible two days ago when they only had 6 on their entire roster. Hamilton, Fraser,  Ricketts, Chapman and Telfer go the distance with Morgan playing the last 33 and Julian Dunn making his senior team debut with 15 minutes to go.

• 3 weeks later...

Osorio and Morgan play 90, Chapman 12 and Hamilton 8 minutes in TFC's 3-0 win over Philadelphia. Hamilton sets up Chapman (or the "Canadian Iniesta" as Matt Doyle from mlssoccer.com calls him) for an insurance tally late. Osorio credited with an assist on Giovinco's goal. Telfer, Fraser & Ricketts left on the bench.

While it was a pretty good weekend in MLS for Canadian players getting playing time on the Canadian MLS teams, it wasn’t so great for the US teams. Kaye and Johnson each played 90 for their respective teams but Jakovic, Laryea and Awuah didn’t get off the bench while Akindele wasn’t even dressed (same with Wright in NE and Didic at KC).

Akindele not dressed again for Dallas who beat LA Galaxy 3-2. I wonder if he's injured because according to the game report, Dallas only dressed 17 players for this match.

De Jong & Davies played 90 each for Vancouver last night in a 2-2 draw. AJH & Piette play 90, Edwards subbed out after cramping up and Petrasso subbed out for tactical reasons as Montreal lose 2-0 to Philly today. LGB and Shamit Shome don't get off the bench.

TFC will start 5 Canucks in about 45 minutes in New England (Telfer, Osorio, Chapman, Ricketts & Hamilton) with Morgan & Fraser on the subs bench.

• 4 weeks later...

Davies having another great game tonight, an assist and the second goal for the Caps. The goal initially looked way offside but the replay showed Colman on the other side of the byline. If Davies stayed between the Orlando line of defenders and Bednik knowing he wouldn’t be offside because of Colman not only was it a calmly well taken shot but also the sign of incredible offensive awareness.

I keep thinking that as a CanMNT fan this chariot is going to turn back into a pumpkin but man is he ever good.

Edit: wow, I’m a few minutes behind. Davies with an unreal assist in which he just blew by the defender and put a sitter inside the box.

Edit2: I should wait till the end of the game. Great run and dish for another assist.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Melvin picked up the ball, dropped it, picked it up again, then threw it out, which lead to a great goal for Ferreria of FC Dallas. However, VAR caught Melvin's error because it led to a goal, the MLS goal got called back and then Tigres scored on the resulting indirect free kick. Crazy, and, yeah, Melvin has not been great. Tigres almost scored on a bad pass by him earlier.

Archived