Jonathan David

Vince193

42 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

If you take a look at the step up that Davies has last you can see the effect of elite coaching and practicing against better players.

Staying at Gent again as a player too good for that level will not improve his game as much as pushing for a better situation to make him better.

Agreed. I think it will help him develop as a player to move to a stronger league. Also, from a national team perspective it would also be very beneficial to have another player competing in a top league. Better exposure for Canadian players, and more hype for Canadian fans

1 hour ago, gigi riva said:

Will be interesting to see what the transfer market will look like post covid 19  . I think we will go back to pre Neymar times 

That seems to be everyone's assumption. It will probably be correct.

However, to play Devil's advocate, we could return to those levels one day, given the government response to the deflation in the global economy. That response has been (and will continue to be) currency creation by central banks, and the extra liquidity may eventually find it's way into the global football market.

Give it enough time and we could see Neymar-like transfers again, but certainly not right away. Salary caps and the like could put the kibosh on mega transfers too, of course.

19 hours ago, Strait Red said:

What I love about Dortmund is that even though they are a young team, they are a young team of young stars. David would fit right in. Dortmund in the Bundesliga do not buy stars, they help create them.

13 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

What I love about Dortmund is that even though they are a young team, they are a young team of young stars. David would fit right in. Dortmund in the Bundesliga do not buy stars, they help create them.

Erling Haaland was bought from RB Salzburg.  

Thorgan Hazard (Eden’s brother) was a star at Borussia Mönchengladbach and bought from them.

Julian Brandt was an excellent winger at Bayer Leverkusen and bought from them.

And those are just the current ones.  Dortmund buys very good players and are stars in their own right.  Dortmund is a stepping stone for some players (and managers) to even bigger clubs.

5 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Erling Haaland was bought from RB Salzburg.  

Thorgan Hazard (Eden’s brother) was a star at Borussia Mönchengladbach and bought from them.

Julian Brandt was an excellent winger at Bayer Leverkusen and bought from them.

And those are just the current ones.  Dortmund buys very good players and are stars in their own right.  Dortmund is a stepping stone for some players (and managers) to even bigger clubs.

What I meant by that is that on Dortmund yeah they are stars but not as well known but they essentially become bigger stars by going to Borussia Dortmund. David would be no exception. If he were to go to Borussia Dortmund, he would essentially become a bigger star than what he already is.

An article from a Belgian site claiming Bayer Leverkusen, RB Leipzig and Borussia Monchengladbach are in pursuit from the Bundesliga as well as LaLiga teams Real Betis,  Valencia, Seville and Barcelona. Rumours are going to continue until he transfers to a new club.

http://www.voetbalnieuws.be/news/514249/aa-gent-moet-hoop-op-miljoenentransfer-nog-even-opbergen

13 hours ago, Strait Red said:

An article from a Belgian site claiming Bayer Leverkusen, RB Leipzig and Borussia Monchengladbach are in pursuit from the Bundesliga as well as LaLiga teams Real Betis,  Valencia, Seville and Barcelona. Rumours are going to continue until he transfers to a new club.

http://www.voetbalnieuws.be/news/514249/aa-gent-moet-hoop-op-miljoenentransfer-nog-even-opbergen

Leipzig is the best option

There is talk that Gent has reached a deal with Real Betis for a deal worth 15M pounds (edit: that's actually euros).

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/man-utd/transfer-talk/news/arsenal-to-miss-out-on-genks-jonathan-david_400624.html

However, digging deeper and Estadio Deportivo are not saying anything is done, but rather are saying that Gent have lowered their price and Real Betis is competing with Leverkusen, Glabbach and RB Leipzig.

https://www.estadiodeportivo.com/betis/2020/05/28/oposicion-jonathan-david-bundesliga/280262.html

Either way, Real Betis now look to be in the race, but the Bundesliga clubs probably have the upper hand. Any one of those 3 German clubs would be a fine choice. 

Edited by Obinna

16 hours ago, Strait Red said:

I actually didn't notice this before I posted. If I recall correctly the estadio deportivo cites this voetbalnieuws article. That is where talk of Betis and 15 million pounds (euros?) seems to have originated from.

Edit: it is indeed euros.

Edited by Obinna

6 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

I wouldn’t love him going to Real Betis.  They’re not going to be playing Europa or Champions League consistently like some of these other teams.  I don’t like the idea of David languishing on a lower ranked team, even if it is in a top level league.

Which is why it makes better sense to go to Leipzig or Dortmund since Dortmund are still interested in him

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I actually didn't notice this before I posted. If I recall correctly the estadio deportivo cites this voetbalnieuws article. That is where talk of Betis and 15 million pounds (euros?) seems to have originated from.

Edit: it is indeed euros.

It’s all good, the news on David is coming fast and furious.  It seems like every hour or two he’s linked somewhere else.

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

I wouldn’t love him going to Real Betis.  They’re not going to be playing Europa or Champions League consistently like some of these other teams.  I don’t like the idea of David languishing on a lower ranked team, even if it is in a top level league.

I am not too keen on Real Betis either. I much prefer any of those 3 Bundesliga clubs. Those where the 3 that KJ mentioned recently too. Plus this article names them specifically. Perhaps we are seeing the serious suitors now closing in on their target.... 

Real Betis would still be a good stepping stone though. There are good players there. Mexican stalwart Andres Guardado is there, although young Mexican prodigy Diego Lianez hasn't had much playing time since leaving Club America. He is rumored to be going out on loan. 

Other notables are longtime Lyon linchpin Nabil Fekir and the robust Portuguese defensive midfielder William Carvalho. There is definitely more talent at the club than at Gent, so he'd probably develop well there. They are mid-table right now, but on paper there is no reason to think they couldn't at least challenge for a run at the European places next season.

All that said, I am with you. I am still not very keen on him going there, but just because I think those 3 Bundesliga options are more appealing. Now if Real Betis was the only serious suitor, I wouldn't have an issue with it (but clearly they are not).

Edited by Obinna

7 hours ago, jordan said:

At first I assumed this was going to be largely dependent on the team and their tactics, but the two other Gent players I can make out (Yaremchuk and Kvilitaia) are at the bottom of both axes. Of course David technically plays deeper than the other forwards a lot of the time, but it is still a nice feather in his cap. A lot of the intelligence players have in finding space while attacking should translate to reading passing lanes and I think that, coupled with David's athleticism and work rate, leads to these kinds of numbers.

33 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I wonder what the tipping point would be for Canadians in the Bundesliga before Sportsnet realizes "maybe we should just put the Bundesliga on every Saturday morning next year instead of the 41st showing of Misplays of the Year"?

Or re-runs of NHL/NBA/MLB games?

maybe when David transfers and if the Larin rumours become factual, they might consider showing more games on the “non-Sportsnet World “ channels