Jonathan David

Vince193

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Marca has a preview of the match tonight hosting Real Madrid. 

https://www.marca.com/futbol/champions-league/2024/10/02/66fab526e2704e0e268b458a.html

They've never met before, first point, and Lille has a poor record vs. Spanish teams, only one win in the last 9 matches. The team is strong at home, has a record of winning 7/8 and the last lost was vs. Chelsea in the Champions knockouts in 2022.

With the new coach Genesio they've only repeated the same starters 20% of the time and in 40% of matches change their tactical and positional shape. So they guy seems to be looking for solutions still. They say the key feature is high intensity press, and deep, amongst European top league clubs, they are 2nd behind Brighton (!) in pressing high, and are 7th amongst these near 100 clubs in winning the ball back less than 40 metres from the rival goal.

They have the second best possession in France, after PSG, but tend not to be too vertical, they move it laterally and to the wings, so they often have the ball but not effectively. Not too many long passes, more short passing. In the top five leagues in Europe they are third behind Bayern and City in possession in the rival's defensive third. 

A lot of these stats are quite surprising, suggesting a daring proposal, with a lot of virtues, and especially since you'd say they don't have the players to be trying let alone doing all that. 

In terms of players, first they mention David, not just stats, goals, but shots, and most if not all chances this year, excluding penalties, in the centre of the 18 yard box but outside the 6-yard box. They also mention Zhegrova being very efficient in duels, dribbling. According to the article, he has not lost the ball dribbling even once yet in Ligue 1. Impressive. Also rate Andre high.

All this suggests some great merits, so you'd conclude that if Lille had the budget and the pieces to have better players to fit their system, they'd be closer to European power status (or at least a lot more scary and respected than they in fact are). 

Some of the comments are rich in this regard, and quite funny, like one  saying that Marca describes Lille as a combination of "Brasil del 70, la Naranja Mecánica, el Milan de Sacchi, el Pep Team y el ManCity..."

Zhegrova is a turnover waiting to happen.  I don't understand the point about him not losing a dribble in Ligue 1.  He's the most frustrating player the team for me.  He'll never pass unless it's a 100% obvious scoring opportunity like on David's header. 

I always have such high hopes for David when he plays big clubs in the Champions League. More often than not, I am disappointed in his performances. Today, I expect nothing in that regard. Partly because I don't think Lille will hardly get a sniff at goal, and partly because I want to do the reverse jinx.

I get @Snowcrash 's frustration, Lille does so many things right then dick around and lose perfectly good chances because of weak decisions in decisive parts of the pitch. Like in attack, and a lot. 

But we've been seeing this for years. They sign younger, inexperienced guys with talent, then it is a lot of close but no cigar.

The thought of David having proper service and someone able to find him, it's only been 5 years like this.

If you are not watching, Lille can have comfortable possession in the final third then find a way to make it fully inconsequential over and over again.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Had a very good chance on a far post header he bowed down, Lunin stopped, the rebound came and the keeper put up a great hand to stop the little flick in. Double David chance.

Bouaddi, incredible player, I was thinking of comparisons with Kone, looked him up: only 17, unreal. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

3 minutes ago, clamlinguine said:

Gotta see a replay. I remember JD and then another guy getting wacked in succesion from what could be considered the back afaic.

I guess I would have to see it again as well.

I remember David and Militao and then the keeper coming out and getting the ball and a piece of a (dragged?) leg on Bakker.  

9 minutes ago, clamlinguine said:

Gotta see a replay. I remember JD and then another guy getting wacked in succesion from what could be considered the back afaic.

It was shoulder-to-shoulder on David. Simply a matter of being pushed off the ball and maybe looking for a pen. No chance it's a pen call.

Bellingham came from an angle but mostly from behind when he tackled him just inside the box but doesn't matter now the Iceman got another chance and further cements his legacy as a club legend, becoming joint 3rd all time topscorer. Some Lille fans talk about him deserving a statue outside the ground and we're not far from that reality.

Edited by sebdeserio