Jonathan David

Vince193

21 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

Apparently, Gomes is David's best pal on the team.  In post game interview, David said Gomes had played a great match and there are no egos on the club.  Reading between the lines, it was David's call.  Likely caught his manager by surprise, given his reaction on the sidelines. Anyway, if it was 0-0, no way Gomes takes the PK. 

I understand that's nice of him and a good team player, but that's pretty lame. Especially in France where score difference is the first time breaker. That could be the difference of a team winning a championship or getting a Champions league spot. It's the same as Herdman letting the guys on the field decide it. David is the best striker on the team for club and country, he should always be the one taking the pks.

1 minute ago, Stryker911 said:

I understand that's nice of him and a good team player, but that's pretty lame. Especially in France where score difference is the first time breaker. That could be the difference of a team winning a championship or getting a Champions league spot. It's the same as Herdman letting the guys on the field decide it. David is the best striker on the team for club and country, he should always be the one taking the pks.

Agree. Sometimes I think David is too nice for his own good. 

7 career hattrick in total (LA Gantoise, LOSC, Canada Soccer)

1 career hattrick with La Gantoise

2 career hattrick with Canada Soccer

4 career hattrick with LOSC

2 career hattrick with LOSC against Le Havre

1 hour ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Who is hating on David? 🤔

Rightly or wrongly, the press who have seen him not pull up any trees - as the saying goes - when he has been in European competitions against bigger opponents. 

(To be clear, my view is that Lille struggled and he got very few actual chances to do what he does well.)

9 hours ago, blueseeka said:

Have a hard time thinking Lille will give him up while they will be Champions League or Europa competition

I tend to agree but they would have to crunch the numbers between potentially continuing to progress in CL and fighting for another CL spot next year, versus actually getting a transfer fee for David.  Some team economist can do the math.   

On his third goal, David drifts into a pocket of space behind the strong side defender to receive the ball for a clear header.  It's a very underrated part of David's game and he's been doing it since he was a starting forward at Ghent as a 19 year old.  There's the argument he won't find the space as he moves into higher leagues but he'll have more elite play makers who'll see the game and recognize his runs into space much quicker.

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I tend to agree but they would have to crunch the numbers between potentially continuing to progress in CL and fighting for another CL spot next year, versus actually getting a transfer fee for David.  Some team economist can do the math.   

I don’t think teams are going to spend a lot for 6 months of Jonathan David, but beyond the direct economic impact, I think trading your star player if you’re still making noise in the champions league/trying to qualify for next years sends a really negative message to your fans that could backfire pretty hard.

28 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I don’t think teams are going to spend a lot for 6 months of Jonathan David, but beyond the direct economic impact, I think trading your star player if you’re still making noise in the champions league/trying to qualify for next years sends a really negative message to your fans that could backfire pretty hard.

What is more habitual is for the player to be in talks through his agent, and then, at some point after you can legally negotiate, commit to a team tentatively. 

That commitment is based on salary, and a signing bonus. Plus of course your ambition as a player and the suitor's project (like, can you win a scudetto or an FA Cup with the new club). Much of what Juve, let's say, does not have to pay Lille, can be committed to the new contract and bonus (plus it's spending spread out over 4-5 years, not all in one, which is fiscally less favourable).

So if the player fulfills his commitment to go, the new team is pleased to pay that higher salary and bonus. 

This is exactly what will happen with Davies next summer, his salary parameters and probably the bonus are already set.

Remember that David is on a low salary, less than Larin, he's "lost" probably 3-4 million a year not being transferred in '23 or last summer. At a Juve or Manchester United he'd be making 12-16 million gross, if not more, his salary would be at least tripled.

So you don't get teams into bidding wars for a transfer fee with 6 months on a contract. It is bad ethics as a player to force clubs to do that. It also suggests you have a weak character, you don't really care where you go. No, show you really want to go to Juve, to wherever. You negotiate through your agent, come to an agreement, and quietly say thanks and move on after 30 June (a week before we play the Gold Cup final 😁).

If Lille wanted a fee, they should have moved for one definitively earlier, but since they got over 60 million euros for Yoro, plus add-ons potentially taking it over 70, they were in no hurry with David. As is, they can't complain, and with David still performing for them, it is hard for them, or their fans, to show anything but gratitude to the player.

I was a bit annoyed at the start of the season he still hasn’t moved to a bigger club but if he’s going to keep up this form, maybe it is for the better. 

Too bad I was watching Lille games when they were boring as hell and not when David was scoring a lot lol

16 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Exactly. There's not much actual hope of progressing out of at best the 2nd round of CL. There is no longer any dropping down to lower competitions. Best case for Lille is to have JD earn them extra prize money for results in CL games, set the team up for a decent Ligue 1 finish and get some fee in January. Otherwise he will sign a pre-contract and Lille receives 0.