Jonathan David

Vince193

3 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

We need to make more chances for him and he needs to put them away next match.

4 more sleeps. 

This is true.   But at the same time, he is the kind of fwd who should be able to create chances for himself.  He has the ability to drop back in mf and collects balls.   He is not just a target man up front who needs service or he will be invisible

52 minutes ago, Free kick said:

This is true.   But at the same time, he is the kind of fwd who should be able to create chances for himself.  He has the ability to drop back in mf and collects balls.   He is not just a target man up front who needs service or he will be invisible

We can say he 'should' be able to create chances, but we have a big enough sample size to know that that's not who he is as a player. He's a good passer, and a good finisher in close. He doesn't dribble himself into shooting positions, he doesn't score on headers. As a striker, he is a target man, on the ground, and he does need service. If you've watched Lille at all, you know this is true. He could be very productive as a finisher on a team with good playmakers, or as a playmaking AM, but he will not create and finish his own chances. I think he has done very well for himself at Lille, but to step up as a striker, he would have to go to an elite team with great passers behind him. 

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

I see it as the opposite, you want a target man taking the first balls in, whether deep or not.  You create from there.  

Edit: To be clear a target man to me is a big guy usually, who provides the target for your initial balls in - , Andy Carroll, -  Drogba - Ibrahimovic. Obviously have other skills but being big was a part of their game. 

We don't want him on the ball early, normally. He doesn't have the tools to create if he gets the ball in a more possesion attack style. Either its a quick pass and move into the box or as is more likely with our attack, drift about and be open for a cut back.  

In this system especially but you see it at Lille, making turnovers up high is his best create-for-himself skill.  

There is a not wholly unreasonable view of him as a flat track bully.  A goal against Villa would have done him wonders.

In France, this year, he scored 3 of his goals against the other top 6 in Ligue1 (1 PSG). The year before it was 4, (2 penalities, one of those against PSG).

You have to believe it will come eventually though, if we make chances for him.  He makes it look so easy sometimes. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

2 hours ago, Free kick said:

PS.: I still haven't seen a goal against good opposition in a long time.  None in three games at the WC.  None in 4 games against Mex & US in WCQ.    

David has only scored one goal against a non-CONCACAF team (Qatar), and even within CONCACAF he has never scored against our top opponents (the US and Mexico). The best team he has ever scored against is probably Panama.

1 hour ago, Colonel Green said:

David has only scored one goal against a non-CONCACAF team (Qatar), and even within CONCACAF he has never scored against our top opponents (the US and Mexico). The best team he has ever scored against is probably Panama.

Scored v Costa Rica  at Iceteca that got us a crucial 3 points  and came up big in the away games to Honduras & ES to finally put  to rest our demons in Central America. Those were all close games and it's not like they were vs  minnows.

38 minutes ago, Pasta88 said:

David is so underrated by our fanbase. Yes, his finishing hasn’t been great lately for Canada. But he’s so vital to our buildup and getting us out of trouble by drawing smart fouls. Missed header aside, I thought he was class yesterday.

He is…also, who de we have that could replace what he does?   He’s also playing as a 10 with a fairly mid attack when playing better teams.   If we had a winger in form that could beat guys one on one he’d be in a much better position to score.

4 hours ago, lowlander said:

Headlining BBC’s Saturday gossip with links to Man U and Spurs (sorry, unable to copy link here for some reason).

Comes from this report by Dharmesh Sheth

He says "others Premier League clubs" as well so the cynical/hopeful part of me thinks he is just regurgitating the story from a few days ago.

Anyway, nothing concrete yet.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5583848/2024/06/22/chelsea-jonathan-david-transfer/

Chelsea have held talks with the representatives of Lille striker Jonathan David about a potential transfer this summer. The 24-year-old Canada international is high among a number of options the Stamford Bridge club are looking at to strengthen their attack ahead of next season.

Considering that David has 12 months left on his contract and Lille president Olivier Letang recently gave his public blessing to a move in the current market, the forward is expected to be available for a reasonable price. Chelsea are yet to approach the French side but have a good relationship with Letang by virtue of also owning fellow Ligue 1 team Strasbourg, via their BlueCo consortium.

34 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Hopefully David can help his transfer cause during this tournament because lord knows he didn't do that in 2022.

using international tournaments to sway transfer/scouting decisions is pretty flawed, seriously doubt that happens as much now compared to before. especially for players who already have 100+ appearances in a top 5 league

Edited by saladroit

13 hours ago, Chad_Impact said:

Hope I'm wrong but I really don't see David doing well in the prem 

He'd probably do better in a league that has stronger passing and tactics and less pace, like La Liga, instead of being forced into powering his way into the box or making his presence known. Although he's fast and his countering is strong, his heading is not great, and he really needs mids threading through to him and is not that dependent on defensive breakdowns, with half a step he can finish.

This is all a bit cliché, but what I always found was lacking at Lille was mids able to find him in the most simple ways, sometimes it was brainfart time when he was open and they couldn't see it.

I like Atlético de Madrid for him, though with Morata and Griezmann having good Euros, it may not happen.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He'd probably do better in a league that has stronger passing and tactics and less pace, like La Liga, instead of being forced into powering his way into the box or making his presence known. Although he's fast and his countering is strong, his heading is not great, and he really needs mids threading through to him and is not that dependent on defensive breakdowns, with half a step he can finish.

This is all a bit cliché, but what I always found was lacking at Lille was mids able to find him in the most simple ways, sometimes it was brainfart time when he was open and they couldn't see it.

I like Atlético de Madrid for him, though with Morata and Griezmann having good Euros, it may not happen.

Your cliches - your word - (also known as bias) don't help the analysis.

You tried to bring up poor passing with Canada recently via an incorrect passing percentage  - so we can agree you value that stat? Correct? 

There were 7 teams in La Liga that had over 80% passing completion last year.

11 teams in the Premier League.

There were the exact same number in both that had below 75% - 5.

Top three Premier League teams slightly best top 3 La Liga 

1. Man City just beats Real Madrid 

2. Brighton just beats Barcelona 

3. Chelsea equals Girona 

It falls off from there a bit for La Liga 

4. Spurs have almost a couple percentage points on La Palmas 

5. Arsenal was over 2 points ahead of Atlético Madrid

6. Liverpool does just beat Villarreal by over a point.

7. Villa beat Betis by over 3.

As a league the passing in the Premier League is somewhat better, no matter what the Spanish press want to tell themselves or the gullible.

Anyone who tells you that you can't be fast and accurate is preying on your bias.

I agree he needs the right situation.  He needs the right team, not the right league per se.

For the record I would rather him be at Atletico of all mentioned, if he starts.  

15 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Maybe Chelsea will pay David’s original fee and give him a 9 year contract. They have money to spend, they’re about to purchase a teenager for £19M who has fewer professional minutes than LDF. 

You have to take a lot of *youngster buying/selling amongst Premier League clubs with a grain of salt.  

They are working the new sustainability rules by selling to each other at inflated prices.

Ie. Generating revenue before the official season turnover.

*Edit: Homegrown youngster = pure profit

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

David to Serie A or Premier League would probably be the best move for him at this point but if you're talking Italian Serie A clubs then you have to look at Inter Milan, AC Milan or Juventus