Jonathan David

Vince193

Woke is a stupid fucking term from both the left wing viewpoint and the right wing viewpoint. Anyone thinking of using it in either a positive sense or a negative sense should stop and rethink their life choices. The sooner that word is forgotten from our lexicon, the better.

Now, back to listening two of our Euro-based users argue with each other .

Heard Ben Steiner on Sportsnet 650 this morning. 1) He's in Atlanta, so nice to see there's a CBC presence there for this game, in addition to TSN and I think/assume OneSoccer. But 2) he mentioned that David was selected by Herdman to take penalty shots, and it was overruled on the field at the WC. Was this known before? Wondering if I missed it, or if Ben has it wrong.

Just now, Watchmen said:

Heard Ben Steiner on Sportsnet 650 this morning. 1) He's in Atlanta, so nice to see there's a CBC presence there for this game, in addition to TSN and I think/assume OneSoccer. But 2) he mentioned that David was selected by Herdman to take penalty shots, and it was overruled on the field at the WC. Was this known before? Wondering if I missed it, or if Ben has it wrong.

GIF by Christmas FM

1 minute ago, Watchmen said:

Pretty sure Herdman said he left it for the guys on the pitch to decide.

Just now, Watchmen said:

Can't see that happening again under Marsch. Shocking it happened under Herdman, who seemed to have a strong command of the group. I wonder how much of it was Davies puffing his chest out versus David being a coward.

Either way, both young men have grown up 18 months since. I don't expect it to be a problem. 

1 minute ago, frmr said:

Pretty sure Herdman said he left it for the guys on the pitch to decide.

I remember that being said, but I also remember David being designated to shoot. Both can't be true, surely. 

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Can't see that happening again under Marsch. Shocking it happened under Herdman, who seemed to have a strong command of the group. I wonder how much of it was Davies puffing his chest out versus David being a coward.

Either way, both young men have grown up 18 months since. I don't expect it to be a problem. 

I never thought it was a case of David being a coward. More a situation where you don't want to fight with your teammates on the field because that sort of stuff goes viral.

1 minute ago, Watchmen said:

I never thought it was a case of David being a coward. More a situation where you don't want to fight with your teammates on the field because that sort of stuff goes viral.

Yeah I should have chosen my words better. I just meant to say David was too passive on that occassion. Fighting over the ball is not good optics though, so I agree with you there. 

10 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Nice try detailing the topic.

And a reading lesson: it's a Jonathan David thread. Sorloth had 23 goals and six assists in la Liga this year,  his strike rate matches or beats David in a much superior league. Just because your parochial view of football doesn't fathom him, or Odegaard, for reason of petty rivalries, doesn't mean they aren't  relevant.

Enjoyed England being stymied in a packed pub in South Kensington (and doubly by the Danish women there), now on the way home.

Slow down and read without bias

I reference those two players first in the first post. " 2 World class or near."  I assumed incorrectly someone with decent football knowledge would make that connection. 

To rewrite the beginning of that paragraph at a more basic level - "He does not have a lot of "top talent"  [your assertion] teammates. He has 2 World class or near - in order - Odegaard and Soloth. He then has Strand Larson..."

You thought I wouldn't mention Arsenal but then I would reference Odegaard's captaincy - as positive sign of leadership.  So again you throw logic out the window.

Your road home is strewn with abandoned contrary points (how bad his team, coach have been) and examples (Weah and Shaqiri) and irrelevancies (example for Canada, a bar). Again check you bias and your posts don't have to be pulled up for their silliness.  

You were arguing - just to be clear :  Haaland the striker (not his team, him) who has scored 30 in 31 for Norway including 6 in 5 in the last major qualifying campaign is "a distinguished failure." Pretty silly right?

33 minutes ago, Big_M said:

he should go to a team where he'll play as an attacking midfielder which is his main position not striker

Teams where he can get that opportunity to be an attacking midfielder

- Manchester United 

- Chelsea

- Juventus 

- Brighton

- Newcastle

- Atletico Madrid

- Inter Milan 

- AC Milan

- Borussia Dortmund

- Bayern Leverkeusen

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

he should go to a team where he'll play as an attacking midfielder which is his main position not striker

I would disagree if he was to move up a  high level, especially

Could he do it in a counterattacking team, probably.  But then are you willing to have him and a striker not defending? He presses well but I don't see him as a great set defender in your own half/third.

If you play an AMC in most systems (433, 3421) he is asked to create things in the final third when the ball has slowed down. You need something to create space in those tight quarters, something tricky off the dribble etc.   Not his best skillset.

He does very well at losing his man off the ball a lot of the time but you don't want him at long range when he is found.  We saw that against T&T.

Playing forward in a pair, say like Inter, or in a committed pass and move team is his best role, I think. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

3 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Is it woke or unwoke to say I dislike Gareth Southgate a lot?

Neither. 

It's just a very honest and logical stance for a CANMNT supporter.  Maybe he should have played Tomori tonight.  

F-you southgate, I won't even bother capitalizing your name for that cynical cap, and I actually like England.

5 hours ago, frmr said:

Woke is a stupid fucking term from both the left wing viewpoint and the right wing viewpoint. Anyone thinking of using it in either a positive sense or a negative sense should stop and rethink their life choices. The sooner that word is forgotten from our lexicon, the better.

Now, back to listening two of our Euro-based users argue with each other .

Thank you. 

Been checking this thread a lot over the past 2 years.   Waiting to see where that big move will be to and to which super club.  Always believed that his goal scoring for Canada was a statistical matter and that at some point there will be a regression to the mean and a pile of goals in a Canada shirt will come when we are facing good opposition.    

But I think I am at the point now that if there are no goals from JD in the next two games,  I might just start to understand why those rumored big money moves to those big clubs are not occurring. 

PS.: I still haven't seen a goal against good opposition in a long time.  None in three games at the WC.  None in 4 games against Mex & US in WCQ.    

Edited by Free kick