Jonathan David

Vince193

If this is really for real and Manchester United really are interested in David, can he fit in an Erik Ten Hag system? But also I mean I would love it if only because he gets to play with players like Mainoo, Hojlund, Garnacho, etc but with Ten Hag as his manager though...talk about stacking the deck because Ten Hag is a mess

13 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

If this is really for real and Manchester United really are interested in David, can he fit in an Erik Ten Hag system? But also I mean I would love it if only because he gets to play with players like Mainoo, Hojlund, Garnacho, etc but with Ten Hag as his manager though...talk about stacking the deck because Ten Hag is a mess

A lot of the players seem to really respect him and have spoken out saying he is getting a bad rap and needs to be given more time. Very tough environment when things aren't going well.

29 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

One thing I read (it might be in the thing I posted above) was that Ten Hag wanted Brobby (knows him from Ajax) if he was staying. 

Good point. David seems to be Ratcliffe's choice. I guess we'll have to see how transfer negotiations play out.

59 minutes ago, Canuckia said:

Good point. David seems to be Ratcliffe's choice. I guess we'll have to see how transfer negotiations play out.

If Ratcliffe does want David and he signs to Manchester United, then David will just be a part of the rebuild especially because United are not in Champions League. But to see David at Old Trafford, I admit I probably would buy a David United jersey.

David did more than his share to help Lille get into champions league quals this year. If he goes to United, he should be seen  as a guy who can make them better and get them there too. I’m not worried about him going to a non-champions league club, because if he’s the guy we think he is, he should be one of the missing pieces that gets a team over the jump. If not, that’s fine- he’ll find his way back to France or to some other decent club, but this is a guy who should be sold to a club that thinks he’s a difference maker.

Really don’t want Manchester United, but at this point can’t really be picky. 

43 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

The story was a couple weeks ago that Fonesca wanted "a different profile" than David at Milan. 

If true, I would guess bigger: he loves attacking width from his fullbacks especially but also his attackers and maybe if had his druthers, he would have a bigger man to get on the end of crosses. 

57 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

David did more than his share to help Lille get into champions league quals this year. If he goes to United, he should be seen  as a guy who can make them better and get them there too. I’m not worried about him going to a non-champions league club, because if he’s the guy we think he is, he should be one of the missing pieces that gets a team over the jump. If not, that’s fine- he’ll find his way back to France or to some other decent club, but this is a guy who should be sold to a club that thinks he’s a difference maker.

Really don’t want Manchester United, but at this point can’t really be picky. 

He needs to go where he will start before anything.  Is Man U going to go with 2 strikers all the time, or even a fair bit of the time? Not usually what ten Hag does. He is not going to take Fernandes' place either nor is he a wide attacker.

But options are limited if you say moving up leagues, starting, Europe at least, etc. 

2 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

The story was a couple weeks ago that Fonesca wanted "a different profile" than David at Milan. 

If true, I would guess bigger: he loves attacking width from his fullbacks especially but also his attackers and maybe if had his druthers, he would have a bigger man to get on the end of crosses. 

He needs to go where he will start before anything.  Is Man U going to go with 2 strikers all the time, or even a fair bit of the time? Not usually what ten Hag does. He is not going to take Fernandes' place either nor is he a wide attacker.

But options are limited if you say moving up leagues, starting, Europe at least, etc. 

Honestly, if there's not a *better* option, he might almost be better off staying at Lille for one more year. He'd play on the CL and next year when he's free I'm sure he'd get a lot more offers and at a better wage foe himself. It might not be what Lille wants, but they let it get to this stage.

2 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Hojlund started 25 of 38 matches so he’s not a 100% locked in starter. I do agree it would be difficult for David to be that guy too though. I could see him getting maybe half the starts and coming on as a sub for a bunch more though. 

1 hour ago, archer21 said:

Hojlund started 25 of 38 matches so he’s not a 100% locked in starter. I do agree it would be difficult for David to be that guy too though. I could see him getting maybe half the starts and coming on as a sub for a bunch more though. 

Hojlund missed 8 games because of fitness and 2 non-starts were coming back from groups of the former. 

Ten Hag did get cute the last couple games and started with no striker but Holjlund came on and scored in both and they won.

Huge risk if you are David and you are counting on starts barring another bad fitness year. 

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Hojlund missed 8 games because of fitness and 2 non-starts were coming back from groups of the former. 

Ten Hag did get cute the last couple games and started with no striker but Holjlund came on and scored in both and they won.

Huge risk if you are David and you are counting on starts barring another bad fitness year. 

Yeah I’m not saying he’ll be the starter but I think he’s versatile enough to play a good amount of minutes between CAM/ST/winger. Winning the FA Cup saved them as they’ll be in Europe again, as well as all the domestic cup competitions. Plenty of minutes to go around. Certainly if he could go to a top team and be an every day starter, that’s better, but that’s not always an easy ask at the top levels.

42 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Which is why if David were at let's say Arsenal, Chelsea, Brighton or Newcastle even he would have more of a chance to start at those clubs

36 minutes ago, jhoops__ said:

Yeah, I don’t think so.  All of those clubs have at least equal talent.

I go back to Villa.

Apparently Duran wants out and they did play with 2 strikers (with Watkins) a fair bit. 

3 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I go back to Villa.

Apparently Duran wants out and they did play with 2 strikers (with Watkins) a fair bit. 

Aston Villa as another potential club for David...well Villa are about to play in Champions League this upcoming season

5 minutes ago, archer21 said:

Yeah I’m not saying he’ll be the starter but I think he’s versatile enough to play a good amount of minutes between CAM/ST/winger. Winning the FA Cup saved them as they’ll be in Europe again, as well as all the domestic cup competitions. Plenty of minutes to go around. Certainly if he could go to a top team and be an every day starter, that’s better, but that’s not always an easy ask at the top levels.

We said the same above, but for me other than a big name and being able to watch him easily Man U provides a riskier pathway to the things he needs (at least for us).

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

We said the same above, but for me other than a big name and being able to watch him easily Man U provides a riskier pathway to the things he needs (at least for us).

Yeah it does but for David to play with a manager like Erik Ten Hag who is basically a puppet at United or he's easily controlled by the Glazers and Ratcliffe...I don't know if that's a manager I wanna play for. United not that long ago wanted to get rid of him and the supporters wanted him gone. But no he wins the FA Cup so 🤷🏿 they say yeah we'll keep him around. Only at United they do things like this and is David the kind of player Ten Hag would even want in this side? Ten Hag is so used to players who he knows or has a relationship with. David probably wouldn't even factor into his plans.

4 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Are United still bought into Hojlund enough to guarantee him starts every week? I believe he was moved to the bench towards end of last year, no? They paid a gazillion dollars for him and he’s still 3 years younger than JD, but these things move fast. I’m not sure why they’d be interested in David unless they did intend to start him though. Even if his price tag did drop to €20-30M or whatever the new number is, I don’t know if clubs want to spend that on their backup/cup striker.