Jonathan David

Vince193

1 minute ago, Craig11rm said:

So you’re saying you can’t see anyone from Canada scoring against France or do you think Shaffenburg could do it?

I mean I could see it but it would take a lot for that to happen but then again it is just hard when we go up against such a superior team like France. #2 in the world for a reason.

1 minute ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Aren't you the optimistic one lol. Look, who knows. But if I'm going to bet on a positive Canadian game takeaway, I can see one of the top scorers in Ligue 1 bagging one for us in familiar territory. 

I mean I would hope so but then again it is also going to come down to whoever we have in goal today and France well their goalkeepers post Lloris have still been good

The Italian press is continuing to report that David is a firm target for Roma this transfer window.

While I posted previously that I thought he could form a nice partnership with Tammy Abraham but the finances of the deal would be difficult...it sounds as though Roma is very open to selling Abraham back to the Premier League so they would have the money to afford David.

5 hours ago, masster said:

The Italian press is continuing to report that David is a firm target for Roma this transfer window.

While I posted previously that I thought he could form a nice partnership with Tammy Abraham but the finances of the deal would be difficult...it sounds as though Roma is very open to selling Abraham back to the Premier League so they would have the money to afford David.

If they do that then David playing at Roma would be pretty good. Roma are not only contenders in Serie A season after season but they regularly make Champions League from Serie A.

Have to say two of our potentially best chances vs France failed to come off his feet. The first was the clear break where he needed to find Osorio earlier, a tad. 

Then his shot top of the box, where again he could have shuffled it over to Oso who would have been clear. Based on the reaction Osorio saw both plays clearly. 

David always has the ball inside his body but some shots, to get past a defender, have to be pushed wide of the body. He doesn't do that.

Btw both the plays show Osorio exactly where he was supposed to be. If he were lacking pace and speed I don't think that'd be the case.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Have to say two of our potentially best chances vs France failed to come off his feet. The first was the clear break where he needed to find Osorio earlier, a tad. 

Then his shot top of the box, where again he could have shuffled it over to Oso who would have been clear. Based on the reaction Osorio saw both plays clearly. 

David always has the ball inside his body but some shots, to get past a defender, have to be pushed wide of the body. He doesn't do that.

Btw both the plays show Osorio exactly where he was supposed to be. If he were lacking pace and speed I don't think that'd be the case.

Second play wasn’t Osorio - it was Steph

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

First one looked offside to me when I watched it live but maybe not. And yeah second one was Eustaquio that he definitely should have slid in.

57 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Second play wasn’t Osorio - it was Steph

Thanks, saw it small on my phone. In any case there was a reaction to not getting the pass from David and both were amazing chances, and late enough to have been candidates for game winners.

Seeing David in game from outside eyes (mostly English as a transfer target, to be clear) you maybe see why some people struggle to embrace him. 

His normally calm ability with a final ball does seem to desert him in a some big game situations.   (Say Aston Villa, last World Cup or bit in these two friendlies)

Now that unfairly ignores his press, his willingness to track back and his ability to be in excellent spaces a lot of the time. 

That said, at the end of the day, if you are looking at a striker who mostly offers goals, based on his stats, and he is not scoring against big oponents, you worry.   His Canadian goal record for instance is somewhat that of a flat track bully. 

I think the more he experiences good opponents and good defenders, the more his good work will become more natural and we will see goals.  

It is why a good situational transfer is so critical right now. 

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Thanks, saw it small on my phone. In any case there was a reaction to not getting the pass from David and both were amazing chances, and late enough to have been candidates for game winners.

It's not an excuse, but I'd like to see how many km David ran vs France.  I can't imagine he had much left in the tank at 85'.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/story/_/id/40326800/toney-david-zirkzee-man-united-striker-shortlist-sources

"Toney, David, Zirkzee on Man United striker shortlist - sources"

David should be cheaper than Toney and Zirkee is supposed to be headed to Milan.

Also says they have interest in our friend Brobby but that is mostly a Ten Hag thing.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

14 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/story/_/id/40326800/toney-david-zirkzee-man-united-striker-shortlist-sources

"Toney, David, Zirkzee on Man United striker shortlist - sources"

David should be cheaper than Toney and Zirkee is supposed to be headed to Milan.

Also says they have interesting in our friend Brobby but that is mostly a Ten Hag thing.

I despise United but I have to say, it would be fun to be able to watch all of the absolute mountains of content that there would be on him if he moved there.