Jonathan David

Vince193

1 hour ago, frmr said:

Good, I absolutely despise Atletico.

It's just their way of saying there is something, but they want to keep the price down. They can't say otherwise, they can't talk to him until January 2025. 

It's carefully worded, because the only thing that matters is that Lille accepts an offer. And allows them to talk to the player.

Di Marzio is a very reliable and respected journalist in Italy. He says that David will not follow Fonseca to Milan as he is not the type of striker that the club is looking for...confirming speculation from earlier this season.

https://www.milannews.it/calciomercato-milan/di-marzio-jonathan-david-non-rientrerebbe-nei-piani-di-fonseca-si-cerca-una-punta-con-caratteristiche-diverse-537243

4 hours ago, masster said:

Di Marzio is a very reliable and respected journalist in Italy. He says that David will not follow Fonseca to Milan as he is not the type of striker that the club is looking for...confirming speculation from earlier this season.

https://www.milannews.it/calciomercato-milan/di-marzio-jonathan-david-non-rientrerebbe-nei-piani-di-fonseca-si-cerca-una-punta-con-caratteristiche-diverse-537243

What type of striker is Milan looking for? One that doesn't score goals?

He is Lille's record goal scorer in this century but yet you only have a select few teams interested in him. But honestly at this point if I'm David, I just stay at Lille and stay in Ligue 1 in France 🇫🇷. Because he's becoming a club legend over there. Why mess up a good thing? He continues to score goals for them and if he were to go to a new team, his role could diminish depending on what team he were to go to. At least at Lille, he knows he's the target man up front. 

44 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

He is Lille's record goal scorer in this century but yet you only have a select few teams interested in him. But honestly at this point if I'm David, I just stay at Lille and stay in Ligue 1 in France 🇫🇷. Because he's becoming a club legend over there. Why mess up a good thing? He continues to score goals for them and if he were to go to a new team, his role could diminish depending on what team he were to go to. At least at Lille, he knows he's the target man up front. 

I'm ok with this, IF it puts a stop to the endless speculation and rumors!  This has been going on for soo long, it's just annoying now.  

Good team at a good level - even if they aren't fun to watch and also limit his output.

21 minutes ago, costarg said:

I'm ok with this, IF it puts a stop to the endless speculation and rumors!  This has been going on for soo long, it's just annoying now.  

Good team at a good level - even if they aren't fun to watch and also limit his output.

And, are playing CL next season.

1 hour ago, costarg said:

This has been a mantra for years and they were certainly utilitarian when they won the title but do people watch Lille under Fonesca?

They are a decent attacking team, use the fullbacks in interesting ways, the players pass to David.  

The coach and a bunch of players leaving again (always a selling club) is the concern for me.

6 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

This has been a mantra for years and they were certainly utilitarian when they won the title but do people watch Lille under Fonesca?

They are a decent attacking team, use the fullbacks in interesting ways, the players pass to David.  

The coach and a bunch of players leaving again (always a selling club) is the concern for me.

My point earlier of exactly why David should stay at Lille and not go anywhere 

Jonathan David remains Roma’s top summer target: Giallorossi locked in race with Milan
Andy Mattioli romapress.net June 1 2024

Roma are engaged in a race for Lille attacker Jonathan David who is said to be the club’s top target for the summer.

With Romelu Lukaku set to conclude his loan and return to Chelsea, Roma have identified Jonathan David as the ideal replacement.

The Canadian striker totalled an impressive 43 goals across the last two seasons at the age of 24, making him one of the most exciting targets for this upcoming summer window.

Preliminary talks are said to have taken place between Roma and David’s entourage.

Now the Giallorossi will have to deal with Lille.

The French side are reportedly asking for €40 million; a request which so far hasn’t deterred Roma from pursuing the Canadian talent.

According to Corriere della Sera, Roma consider David’s signing sustainable and compatible with their new project.

The player earns ‘only’ less than €2 million which would work well for the club’s new initiative to reduce the wage bill.

The Giallorossi will have to deal with Milan’s competition: Paulo Fonseca wants to bring David with him to the Rossoneri.

Posted (edited)

PSG have been linked with Napoli's Georgian winger (not going to attempt to spell his name)

I wonder if that would give Napoli the money they need to buy David

Edited by narduch

9 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Jonathan David remains Roma’s top summer target: Giallorossi locked in race with Milan
Andy Mattioli romapress.net June 1 2024

Roma are engaged in a race for Lille attacker Jonathan David who is said to be the club’s top target for the summer.

With Romelu Lukaku set to conclude his loan and return to Chelsea, Roma have identified Jonathan David as the ideal replacement.

The Canadian striker totalled an impressive 43 goals across the last two seasons at the age of 24, making him one of the most exciting targets for this upcoming summer window.

Preliminary talks are said to have taken place between Roma and David’s entourage.

Now the Giallorossi will have to deal with Lille.

The French side are reportedly asking for €40 million; a request which so far hasn’t deterred Roma from pursuing the Canadian talent.

According to Corriere della Sera, Roma consider David’s signing sustainable and compatible with their new project.

The player earns ‘only’ less than €2 million which would work well for the club’s new initiative to reduce the wage bill.

The Giallorossi will have to deal with Milan’s competition: Paulo Fonseca wants to bring David with him to the Rossoneri.

David to Roma does make sense just like him going to Atletico Madrid also makes sense but personally now I actually want him to stay at Lille.

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Another reason the Atlético option makes sense is they bought Reinildo just last year from Lille, and were pleased with him. So they have contacts with Lille and a good experience. 

You can say that about most decent sized clubs in Europe with Lille.  They sell a lot and well.

(Except maybe Arsenal re. Nicolas Pepe) 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

You can say that about most decent sized clubs in Europe with Lille.  They sell a lot and well.

(Except maybe Arsenal re. Nicolas Pepe) 

Right, Newcastle, Naples...though Celta Vigo bought Bamba, who drove us nuts at Lille, and he's been a bit of a bomb and definitely hit his ceiling and bounced back down again.

Edit: Maignan going to AC Milan. 

I personally like the AC Milan option a lot.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

I know this is blasphemy in these parts but I legit wonder if David is actually a better player than a move to a club like Roma would justify - or if that is actually his real level.  I know he is an opportunistic poacher and has lots of good attributes but I have also seen him go missing in enough big matches (against tough competition) to wonder whether or not he will be a world beater - or if a consistent striker at a big (but not massive) club is a good fit.   

I get the mentality of aiming as high as possible, and hopefully he can make me look stupid by becoming a star at a huge club, but part of me thinks him playing in a top 3 league for a team outside the big 3 or 4 is an absolute success.  

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I know this is blasphemy in these parts but I legit wonder if David is actually a better player than a move to a club like Roma would justify - or if that is actually his real level.  I know he is an opportunistic poacher and has lots of good attributes but I have also seen him go missing in enough big matches (against tough competition) to wonder whether or not he will be a world beater - or if a consistent striker at a big (but not massive) club is a good fit.   

I get the mentality of aiming as high as possible, and hopefully he can make me look stupid by becoming a star at a huge club, but part of me thinks him playing in a top 3 league for a team outside the big 3 or 4 is an absolute success.  

He's not a guy that creates chances for himself much (except some off the press) so he's not going to often  take the game by the scruff of the neck  and make it his. 

On a middling team against excellent opposition that's what he would need to do. 

So either he goes somewhere bigger and thrives because those providing his chances are better or struggles against the better defences.

Needs the right system. Which is why a striker with his goals isn't sold yet.  In my opinion.

Serie A teams have been doing really well lately collectively and a lot comes down to good inventive systems.  They can't pay absolute top dollar but have been all over European competitions. 

That said none of them are top 5 world teams.  They aren't the Juves and Milans of old, yet at least.  I think he slots in there for a number of those teams and does well.

Could he fulfill the Martinez role at someplace like Inter?

My top end for him has always be someone like Aguero in a great passing team like City. Not given up on that.

But he is going to need to take another step up and succeed before people give him that chance... probably.

I don’t think it’s blasphemy at all.  Most of us, I think,  see David for what he is.   He’s a very crafty, smart and hardworking guy who covers a lot of ground.   An underrated playmaker and opportunistic scorer.   Not a top tier striker on a massive team but still a top tier 2 player.   Look good on a 6-12 Prem club or a Roma/Atleti squad.

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Great post and just to add what @WestHamCanadianinOxford and @jhoops__ said, also need to consider Champions League in all this.  If David's level really is EPL 6-12, that eliminates him from Champions League, but does have him playing vs better competition on a weekly basis vs Ligue 1.  So it's a tough call.