Jonathan David

Vince193

Posted (edited)

The two associations who obtain the most coefficient points in the 2023–24 season will each have one European Performance Spot into the league phase. The winners of the UEFA Champions League and Europa League cannot fill the European Performance Spots.

No UCL for Roma

Edited by MauditYvon

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MauditYvon said:

The two associations who obtain the most coefficient points in the 2023–24 season will each have one European Performance Spot into the league phase. The winners of the UEFA Champions League and Europa League cannot fill the European Performance Spots.

No UCL for Roma

Yet...

(Not sure I understand your reading.) 

They get a base 4 spots + 1 for Performance 

Atalanta won the Europa league - they get Champions League no matter what.

(We got Europa League and the Premier League an extra European spot because we won the Conference League last year and finished well down the table.)

That last sentence says they do not take the performance spot. So it is still out there.

So if they finish 5th (outside normal Champions League places) there would still be:  1) the top 4,  2)  plus them, 3) plus the Performance spot (which they can't fill).

6 spots. 

Edit: That is how I have seen it explained in a few places at least. 

https://football-italia.net/why-atalanta-do-not-roma-champions-league-yet/

https://onefootball.com/en/news/what-roma-need-to-qualify-for-champions-league-39514286

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/atalanta-seriea-champions-league-teams-32872947

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 hour ago, masster said:

If Atalanta finish 5th in the league, there will be 6 Serie A teams in the Champions League. Also if Fiorentina win the Conference League, there will be a total of 9 Serie A teams in Europe, almost half of the league.

Even as a Serie A fan, I think that is absolutely ridiculous.

But they still can't touch the Leagues Cup, an official Concacaf competition where every team in two leagues gets in.

I too prefer to see those modest teams struggling to get through qualifying rounds to have a better chance at Champions group play. Sometimes it is very entertaining, and it is excellent experience for them. Thinking of Royal Antwerp this year, Young Boys, Copenhagen. Winning your league and having to go through multiple qualifying rounds in the summer is harsh compared to getting a spot based on a coefficient. Of those three, only one came last in their group. Then, in the case this last season with Spain having 5, Sevilla was embarrassing, but even of 4 EPL teams, 2 came last in their group. 

Just leave it as maximum 4 + Europa League winner, I'd say.

Posted (edited)

Man if David could just smooth out his dry patches he would have absolutely elite production. All of this scoring for Lille (minus maybe last year) came from a half-season at a time.

edit: but even last season he wasn't really scoring from open play for half the season, but was still producing from the penalty spot, so the point stands.

Edited by frmr

16 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Screenshot_20240524-164317.png

I haven’t been able to watch much soccer in general the last year so I’m surprised scoring was so relatively low this season. Really impressive to be in that company though. 

19 minutes ago, Bdog said:

I haven’t been able to watch much soccer in general the last year so I’m surprised scoring was so relatively low this season. Really impressive to be in that company though. 

I think that's "2024", not "the 2023-24 season".

4 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Atlético Madrid are the latest interested, if rumours are to be believed. 

Could make for some nice promotional nights for Athletico Ottawa: the local prodigy, who is now playing with a massive club, comes back home during vacation to support their local affiliate.

I have really been settling into the idea of David going to Milan with Fonseca. Would Atletico be a bigger/better move? Arguably a better league, but maybe less of a chance for silverware? European prospects would roughly be the same, I imagine.

On 5/25/2024 at 6:16 AM, MtlMario said:

Roma is the latest team interested in David.

Here is the report of the Roma interest in David. It still says Villa are the favourites.

https://www.calciomercato.com/news/lille-che-bagarre-per-david-aston-villa-in-pole-si-inserisce-la--71920

Roma would make sense for a lot of reasons. They will need a replacement for Lukaku who they will not be purchasing from Chelsea. Azmoun is just on loan from Leverkusen and Roma are not expected to pick up their buy option. I think David could make a very good partnership with Tammy Abraham. In addition, Roma's new sporting director is coming from Nice, so he would be very familiar with David.

Now the bad...money. This is the 3rd season in a row where Roma have finished in 6th place in Serie A, so there will be no extra Champions League money which they desperately needed. Roma are currently under a settlement agreement with UEFA which runs until the end of the 2026-27 season. That is why so many of their new signings have been either free transfers or loan deals in the last couple of seasons. If David costs around 40 million, that is equal to the record for highest amount Roma has ever spent on a player.

If they can find a way to afford him...I think this would make a lot of sense.

As for the other Italian sides that were reportedly interested...

Napoli was going hard after Gasperini to be their new manager. I would have loved to see David work under him given his record with strikers. But Gasp has decided to remain at Atalanta, so Napoli are shifting to Antonio Conte. David does not fit the mold of a central striker that Conte usually likes. I do not see them being a legitimate option anymore. Plus, they won't have any European football at all.

All indications are that Milan will announce Fonseca as their new manager. They are still in the running.

On 5/24/2024 at 4:44 PM, Stryker911 said:

Screenshot_20240524-164317.png

Let this sink in what David is doing for his club at Lille and if he were to go elsewhere, would he even be scoring as many goals for his new club? I doubt it

31 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Let this sink in what David is doing for his club at Lille and if he were to go elsewhere, would he even be scoring as many goals for his new club? I doubt it

I think it will be same as last time he moved.

1st season: 13 goals (or around there)

2nd season: 15-18 goals

3rd season: +20 goals

When you look at his stats, that's how things played out at Gent and Lille. And wherever he goes to next (Atleti, Milan, etc.) the step up from Lille to those clubs will roughly be the same as moving from Gent to Lille. As such, I expect a similar trajectory.