Jonathan David

Vince193

Brentford are my favoured English club (I am actually going to see their match versus Chelsea in March). I have thought to myself when watching them that David would be perfect for Thomas Frank -- smart presser who is good at setting traps, great on the counter. He would be perfect paired with Toney. Of course, the only reason Brentford would be able to afford him is by selling Toney, which they will almost assuredly do, so them playing together almost certainly wouldn't happen if David does somehow does end up moving to Brentford.

Brentford are near the bottom in wage spending in the Premier League. The past few years they have spent more and more as their Premier League status has become solidified. While David is a super high profile signing for them, the price tag tracks. He'd become their record signing. Along with Toney, I am certain more players will be sold (Hickey comes to mind, maybe someone comes in for Mbuemo, though if Toney is leaving they may want to keep him). So while I really don't think this is going to happen, there is some universe where it does when you consider that the supposed high interest in David hasn't led to a transfer (that we thought was for sure) in the past like, six windows.

On a different note, there is a poster in the Brentford forums that apparently has inside info and posts cryptic clues about Brentford targets. This morning, before the above article dropped, he linked the 'Fat American' scene from 'In Bruges'. We know here that David was born in Brooklyn, got some stick for his perceived girth by Lille fans when he first joined the club, and played in Belgium.

5 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Brentford are my favoured English club (I am actually going to see their match versus Chelsea in March). I have thought to myself when watching them that David would be perfect for Thomas Frank -- smart presser who is good at setting traps, great on the counter. He would be perfect paired with Toney. Of course, the only reason Brentford would be able to afford him is by selling Toney, which they will almost assuredly do, so them playing together almost certainly wouldn't happen if David does somehow does end up moving to Brentford.

Brentford are near the bottom in wage spending in the Premier League. The past few years they have spent more and more as their Premier League status has become solidified. While David is a super high profile signing for them, the price tag tracks. He'd become their record signing. Along with Toney, I am certain more players will be sold (Hickey comes to mind, maybe someone comes in for Mbuemo, though if Toney is leaving they may want to keep him). So while I really don't think this is going to happen, there is some universe where it does when you consider that the supposed high interest in David hasn't led to a transfer (that we thought was for sure) in the past like, six windows.

On a different note, there is a poster in the Brentford forums that apparently has inside info and posts cryptic clues about Brentford targets. This morning, before the above article dropped, he linked the 'Fat American' scene from 'In Bruges'. We know here that David was born in Brooklyn, got some stick for his perceived girth by Lille fans when he first joined the club, and played in Belgium.

So how did you get to be a Brentford fan, and what's up with going to see them?

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So how did you get to be a Brentford fan, and what's up with going to see them?

I never really had an English club, and now that I am older rather than having some connection from childhood I decided to choose a club that I liked. When they were in the Championship I read about their ownership, their scouting system, and how the club is run. I admired how systematic and smart the operation was, and I liked the way they played. They maximize everything they can, extremely tactical on restarts, the players play their roles really well. They truly are more than the sum of their parts. Plus, the hipster in me didn't want to follow a 'popular' club :P

My fiancee and I are going to England in March for a vacation as we have days to use up and there were cheap flights to London which is one of her favourite cities to visit. Brentford happened to be playing and we were able to get tickets via our 'Bees Overseas' memberships (you essentially get one game a year). If we weren't overseas members I don't think there would be a normal route to getting tickets as the Chelsea match is designated as a Category 'A' fixture so you need a certain amount of points (of which we have zero) to gain access. Though, I did read that if you e-mail the club with some sort of story they've been known to make things happen...

4 hours ago, El Diego said:

I never really had an English club, and now that I am older rather than having some connection from childhood I decided to choose a club that I liked. When they were in the Championship I read about their ownership, their scouting system, and how the club is run. I admired how systematic and smart the operation was, and I liked the way they played. They maximize everything they can, extremely tactical on restarts, the players play their roles really well. They truly are more than the sum of their parts. Plus, the hipster in me didn't want to follow a 'popular' club :P

My fiancee and I are going to England in March for a vacation as we have days to use up and there were cheap flights to London which is one of her favourite cities to visit. Brentford happened to be playing and we were able to get tickets via our 'Bees Overseas' memberships (you essentially get one game a year). If we weren't overseas members I don't think there would be a normal route to getting tickets as the Chelsea match is designated as a Category 'A' fixture so you need a certain amount of points (of which we have zero) to gain access. Though, I did read that if you e-mail the club with some sort of story they've been known to make things happen...

Great explanation, and good description of their play, thanks.

5 hours ago, El Diego said:

Ok so I didn't realize this, but I guess the poster I referenced here is actually Matthew Benham, owner of Brentford. I think it is more likely that the clue is regarding Antonio Nusa who plays for Club Brugge and was apparently pretty much signed during the winter window, but the medical scared off Brentford at the very last second.

Some good words about Jo David on Eurosport, in this article:

Lille article Angel Gomes and the team

Lille attacking midfielder Angel Gomes believes part of what makes his young team special is that there "is no age on leadership", while he branded Jonathan David "the most selfless striker" he has played with.

Edited by h coach