Jonathan David

Vince193

No idea what Lille’s plan is for David.  He only has 1 1/2 years left on his deal so for them his value is going down.    Now there’s talk about Zhegrova possibly on the move and he’s their only decent winger.  They’re going to lose Fonseca as well this summer so the sooner he gets out the better.

6 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I was scanning the internet for stories about  possible striker signings for struggling Arsenal and David's name never came up in any of the articles that I have read.  And yet all the suggestions made were for pretty high priced guys.

Hard to argue with names like Osimhen/Toney or even Solanke who is red hot. Although Toney hasn't played a 1st team game in a while and Osimhen is away for 1 mth. Too much pressure for David at Arsenal going in at this stage. Would rather him stay at Lille to the end of the season, as painful as that is.

It's got to be very frustrating for David. Every player on that first Lille squad in season 1 and most on subsequent squads have moved to top 4 leagues other than Andre and Yazici who has been on several loan stints. I mean even Ikone & Bamba are at Fiorentina and Celta Vigo. Lille are normally good at buying and selling players but they've messed up with David. 

13 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I wonder where he could end up hypothetically if he just runs out his contract and leaves on a free. 

That would be terrible business for them. I think he still has another year and a half on contract 

17 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

That would be terrible business for them. I think he still has another year and a half on contract 

The "half" is the remaining 6 months of this year...I would assume Lille will be actively looking to sell him immediately because it might be smart to ride out his contract and then "pick" his club. 

It would be terrible business from Lille, but there hands could be tied if there isn't any suitors soon. 

39 minutes ago, Shway said:

The "half" is the remaining 6 months of this year...I would assume Lille will be actively looking to sell him immediately because it might be smart to ride out his contract and then "pick" his club. 

It would be terrible business from Lille, but there hands could be tied if there isn't any suitors soon. 

Exactly I think they'll be forced to sell with reduced fee at some point here 

1 hour ago, Chad_Impact said:

Exactly I think they'll be forced to sell with reduced fee at some point here 

Perhaps they have already been willing to lower their asking price significantly?  No one knows, no rumours of such I have seen but perhaps some can post the most recent X links of such news.

Lille paid 30m for the top scorer in Belgium and for the most part have got their moneys worth.

At this point you'd have to figure they stand to make a lot more on Yoro who's still only 18 and is getting looks from big clubs all over.

Until they land a new striker with potential (which is currently runoured) it's likely JD stays where he is.

That said compared to Rasmus Hojlund  @ 74m he's a bargain

43 minutes ago, Noted Penguin said:

Lille paid 30m for the top scorer in Belgium and for the most part have got their moneys worth.

At this point you'd have to figure they stand to make a lot more on Yoro who's still only 18 and is getting looks from big clubs all over.

Until they land a new striker with potential (which is currently runoured) it's likely JD stays where he is.

That said compared to Rasmus Hojlund  @ 74m he's a bargain

I don’t know man.  Giving away 10 or 20 million by letting him go on a free in 18 months just isn’t good business.  

2 hours ago, frmr said:

I highly doubt Lille will let their record signing walk for free. He'll be sold in the summer unless anyone is desperate enough this window, which looks unlikely.

Record goal scorer (modern Ligue 1 history) too.

Lille also has a history of making a profit on all their players. Just look at the past 5 years...Gabriel Maghalese, Oshimen, Leao, Onana, Botman, and Pepe. 

They'll definitely cash in. 

Edited by Shway

22 hours ago, Chad_Impact said:

It might not be their decision though. If the offers aren’t there, they can either sell David for a negligible profit or have him help them reach champions league next season and consider that added revenue their profit. It would obviously be better for everyone if they can sell him for the 40-50M they were looking for, but if that’s not available, not sure if it makes sense to sell him off for €35M. Lille is a selling club, they also probably don’t want to depress the market for when it comes to selling their next young striker in a few years.

The many arguments here relating what Lille paid to what they should ask for, the minimum transfer payment they should receive and so on, are incorrect. 

In no case is the business of buying a player and selling on only based on making money compared to what you paid. Because in this case you have already recouped the investment, merely having a player on your team has to be built into the equation. Even if they do not produce. But he has produced, he has more than redeemed himself, with his goals, with their league title, with what it got you (a Champions League run). Arguably it is still helping fill your relatively new, large stadium, it has raised your tv value in France, where Lille were never historically a team fans watched (Marseille, Monaco, Lyon, PSG...).

I find it odd folks are making calculations as if the value he has given to the club does not count: that is mistaken, it is not part of football accounting, and in fact it is not part of any accounting. A hire, and the cost incurred, are not just an investment on future sell-ons, they are investments for the value you get from the employee, in this case from a player on the pitch.

Then there is the question of salary. For Lille, if they wanted to keep and renew David, which if they were to make Champions League for next season with him scoring better this season, would not be entirely far-fetched, they would have to pay him more. That is a fixed cost, which perhaps they could distribute better to other striker options coming up. 

In any case, how much David goes for is not really our concern. In fact, if he goes for less (which I think he will), that benefits him, as it enables him to negotiate better contract terms with his new club. For Canada he'd be just as useful at a mid-to-high club in a big league, say Brighton or Wolfsburg or Betis, on a decent salary, with minutes. 

This is why I find the obsessing over interest from big clubs a bit immature (JJDTV), he is not producing enough, in an inferior league, to warrant any serious consideration from a major club. 

I think he'll go for less than they paid, next summer, for less than 20 million even. Unless he goes berserk this season and we make the Copa America with a good performance from him. And it really won't make a difference, not to Lille, not to him, not to Canada.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

UT I agree with you're post in general but I'd discuss a few of the details like

"he is not producing enough, in an inferior league, to warrant any serious consideration from a major club".

That my friend tha is a real hot take.  JD has 105 goals is 240 some games in his senior career.  Hojlung has 30 in 120.

I'm not sure whether you're saying that most transfers are based on who's on a hot streak or that Man U isn't a major club.

Both can't be true

The other aspect of this is, it seems JD has always had really good peronal advisors,  a real good sense of what he wants and the character and determination to stay the course.

To sum it up I think he'll go to the club of his choosing whenever the opportunity arises and what Lille gets will have very little to do with it.

Edited by Noted Penguin