Jonathan David

Vince193

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Just scrubbed through looking for those.  His touch has completely deserted him at this point.  Turn it all around with Canada?

Yeah. It really should have been two goals.  The first one he just missed it when he only had to stab it into the open net during a scramble.  And the second he tried to take it off his chest when he should have just leaned into it and pushed it across the line.  You can maybe attribute the lacK of sharpness to a bit of rust but man those were convertable opportunities.   And it would have done a ton to boost his confidence and drag him out of the slump.  

I guess the bright side is that his movement was good and he was at least in a position to score 2.

After hearing Herc's perspective on One Soccer and now seeing that teams are reportedly looking at a summer transfer (for a cut price) I am less concerned about his goal drought. Teams know what he can do and are probably welcoming the lack of goals, as it would just drive the price down further for a proven goal scorer. That's Herc's perspective at least. 

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

After hearing Herc's perspective on One Soccer and now seeing that teams are reportedly looking at a summer transfer (for a cut price) I am less concerned about his goal drought. Teams know what he can do and are probably welcoming the lack of goals, as it would just drive the price down further for a proven goal scorer. That's Herc's perspective at least. 

All true. But it also drives down what he could expect in salary. That's not good for him but it does make him accessible to more teams, cheaper transfer, lower salary .

In retrospect, asking anyone really, what would have been a good sale price for Lille last summer? I was thinking maybe 38-45 million euros, well below what was previously expected, higher than what they paid, higher than what they'll get now.

18 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

All true. But it also drives down what he could expect in salary. That's not good for him but it does make him accessible to more teams, cheaper transfer, lower salary .

In retrospect, asking anyone really, what would have been a good sale price for Lille last summer? I was thinking maybe 38-45 million euros, well below what was previously expected, higher than what they paid, higher than what they'll get now.

I am pretty sure I said last summer that 45M for David seemed like the limit Lille could get for him. Would have been a 15M gain as they bought him for 30M from Gent. They were greedy and now will likely have to accept what they paid for him or risk losing him for free. I don't think anyone is going to pay more than 30M for David this summer with 12 months left on his contract. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Yes/no to this for me, because while we all assume David is going to go on a heater at some point between now and the end of the season... what if he doesn't? What if he ends up with 5 goals, and his summer transfer fee is now 20M euros, and since Lille may finish within the Champions League, they decide to keep him through to the end of his deal knowing he might be able to help them next season, and that the added revenue of winning a few champions league games is worth the loss they'll experience by losing him on a free. But on the other hand, as you mentioned, there's a good chance he finds his form, and it's realistic to think he may score say, 10-15 in the new year, finish his season just shy of 20 goals, and that's fine enough, considering how weak Lille's offense has been in general.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Is 45-50 totally unrealistic for him last year? Lille sold a 21 year old Oshimen to Napoli for 75M, and that was after a single season of 13 goals, and he was 21. better player and younger, but not a player worth half that price. Leao went to Milan for 35M at 20 after one solid season at Lille and 3 games at Sporting the prior year. Different player, but 8 goals, 3 assists, yes he was only 20, but again, I don't think David being 2 years older fills the gap between JD's production and Leao's so that both are valued at the same amount.

I think David has holes in his game that have historically limited his transfer opportunities, now he has his scoring drought, but you look at some of the sales that Lille has made over the past few seasons with players who have not yet reached the peak of their potential at the time, and it's understandable why they put a 60M price tag on him. That's too high, but 50M for a guy who is giving you double digit open-play goals for Lille, won a title, all of that? It's not crazy.

Edited by InglewoodJack