Jonathan David

Vince193

Interesting update, Sheth is obviously well-placed but not sure where the information comes from.  Sorry for the sort of double, the actual tweet wasn't showing all the text and I thought it would be helpful to show where it was posted. 

F4SnNLSWkAAKDni?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Maybe he's happy enough to stay at Lille for now. He's been posting a lot of team content lately. Lille plays their first UECL game today against Rijeka, and it's not out of the realm of possibilities for them to make a run at that trophy. Would certainly be a great way to cap off his time at Lille. 

Funny enough, 538 released their new club world rankings and has Lille at 19th, whatever that means. Much higher than Juventus or Tottenham, in terms of clubs that are apparently interested in him.

Just now, InglewoodJack said:

Lille plays their first UECL game today against Rijeka, and it's not out of the realm of possibilities for them to make a run at that trophy.

As much as people like to make fun of it, it still is a long and nail-biting journey, with a lot of exciting football along the way.  And it feels really good to win it, even as a supporter.  

I obviously would like him to be at a higher European level, but even cynically banging in a bunch against minnows there will not hurt his stock. And it is good Concacaf training, seriously.  Long travel, bad pitches, small hostile stadiums, good teams at the end. 

8 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

As much as people like to make fun of it, it still is a long and nail-biting journey, with a lot of exciting football along the way.  And it feels really good to win it, even as a supporter.  

I obviously would like him to be at a higher European level, but even cynically banging in a bunch against minnows there will not hurt his stock. And it is good Concacaf training, seriously.  Long travel, bad pitches, small hostile stadiums, good teams at the end. 

Absolutely. It remains to be seen who the other group stage teams will be, but even pre-group stage, I see teams like Aston Villa, Fiorentina, Frankfurt- if you can win a trophy while going through those types of teams, and all of the other excellent clubs that are going to enter the tournament that's really impressive. This year is realistically Lille's best chance at a trophy, so selling club or not, at some point, you want to give your fans an excellent product to watch and a realistic path to winning something important.

Not sure what gate revenue would look like for Lille, but keeping David and making a deep run, thus bringing a ton of big games to Lille is probably going to offset at least a portion of what they're losing by not selling him now.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Funny enough, 538 released their new club world rankings and has Lille at 19th, whatever that means. Much higher than Juventus or Tottenham, in terms of clubs that are apparently interested in him.

Maybe that's cause Lille HAS David.  Will swing the other way once he transfers out!

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

That's for the end of last season but they're sadly done with sports so won't be updating it anymore.

14 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Does Josh Deming literally have no sources and just re-post rumours from anywhere on the internet? As a “member of media” the number of JD posts that he has referenced that have gone absolutely nowhere is mind boggling.

Having just discusses journalism on another thread , I appreciate that we actually have some one in Canada who is cheerleading and doing some info gathering on our players, but that is what it is at the end of the day. 

48 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Does Josh Deming literally have no sources and just re-post rumours from anywhere on the internet? As a “member of media” the number of JD posts that he has referenced that have gone absolutely nowhere is mind boggling.

No, he's an aggregator, which is a useful thing. Also, I think it's completely understandable that he has no sources considering he went from a Dortmund/CMNT fan channel to One Soccer employee and one of the faces of Canada Soccer social media in the past couple years. I think he's done well for himself and likely has a long career ahead of him.

Also, 95% of social media posts during the transfer period go nowhere, so I don't know why that fact would be mind boggling. It's the nature of transfer market news in general.

58 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Does he position himself as a journalist? I think he’s just a commentator. I like we have supporters like him making content, but I don’t think he ever implied he’s connected in any way. 

I do think he was one of the first to report Johnston to Celtic though. Unsure if it was a broken clock thing or if he had sources, but he called that one early.

Edited by InglewoodJack

4 hours ago, jhoops__ said:

Lille might think otherwise on waiting to sell him until next year.   Be lucky to get back what they paid for him with just one year left in his deal.   

Which is why these teams are willing to wait. They aren't prepared to pay the current asking price.

3 hours ago, trc2014 said:

He's "forced" to do these transfer rumour shows which have no ground in reality because, as those doing content for One Soccer think, they work for certain audiences. In the sense that they're part of his deal. They don't have any inside sources and invent a ton of random stuff, like "this club would be a good fit". No understanding at all how transfers work, no agent contacts, no club contacts, and less so contact with players.

He was very judicious as an analyst of games and evaluating players and positions, I thought he represented a certain orthodox approach. When he was independent and not on the OS team. He's good on what is, not this ridiculous low-end way of pretending to see the future.

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He's "forced" to do these transfer rumour shows which have no ground in reality because, as those doing content for One Soccer think, they work for certain audiences. In the sense that they're part of his deal. They don't have any inside sources and invent a ton of random stuff, like "this club would be a good fit". No understanding at all how transfers work, no agent contacts, no club contacts, and less so contact with players.

He was very judicious as an analyst of games and evaluating players and positions, I thought he represented a certain orthodox approach. When he was independent and not on the OS team. He's good on what is, not this ridiculous low-end way of pretending to see the future.

Yeah but they're giving the people what they want. This relatively new phenomenon of 24/7 transfer news and speculation has really taken off in the modern era with social media, Youtube, etc. I would wager some of One Soccer's highest engagement numbers come from Davies/David transfer speculation. Just speaking for myself, pretty much first thing I've been doing this summer every morning is searching latest Jonathan David tweets. We're all vampires feeding off the speculation and the media knows it.

38 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He shares pretty much every transfer rumour on Twitter, a lot from pretty weak sources. But again, I think having a passionate guy who is really invested in the game and knows what he's talking about is a lot more important than him discussing random transfer rumours. By the 2026 world cup, I'd hope that guys like him and some of the other CANMNT social media people are some of the more prominent commentators in the country.

On 8/24/2023 at 3:54 PM, jhoops__ said:

Lille might think otherwise on waiting to sell him until next year.   Be lucky to get back what they paid for him with just one year left in his deal.   

I agree. They've gotten their investment back and needn't be so bent on a high price.

The fact he wasn't offered a contract renewal, or a raise, demonstrates there's no interest from either side in anything but a transfer.

I think a factor is his salary is low so it doesn't cost them a lot to have him on their books. 

1 minute ago, jhoops__ said:

Not sure if Lille offered him a new contract but they’d be smart to do so.   I think the player wants a move more than the club perhaps.   They’re selling Baleba which makes a David move unnecessary financially.

Even before Baleba, they said they were fine.  No "knife to [their] throat" was the quote.  Could be posturing but there it is.

25 mill for Baleba seems excessive for what I have seen, but I thought the same with Onana. (Still do) And Brighton seem to know what they are doing.