Jonathan David

Vince193

I think Lille will ultimately sell this window for a price below what they are asking for today. They didn't gain notoriety as a selling club by being stubborn.

I think Lille will take moderate profit today instead of losing money on their investment next summer. Chelsea paid 50M for Pulisic and sold him for less than half with a year left on his deal. That happens at a buying club like Chelsea, but can you see Lille doing that? Any examples?

I guess there is still value in the winter window, so maybe there's a chance there, but if he doesn't go by then I see him playing out his contract. 

8 minutes ago, frmr said:

Sounds like Lukaku to Juventus. Tottenham or bust?

Maybe not. Lukaku swap with Chelsea plus cash. 50M to Juve plus Lukaku for Vlahovic. That's enough cash to get David (or Balogun).

Both strikers would pair well with Lukaku in theory. I may be biased but I think David would be the better, more proven fit, but with that he is likely the more costly. Would depend on how much Arsenal think they can get for Balogun and probably how realistic Lille can be about David's market value.

David playing behind Lukaku, even a slower version, would be a dream pairing. David is an incredible playmaker as he showed at Gent behind 2 big forwards. Lille have to be careful. His contract is running down and an off form season (hasn't happened so far) or God forbid, injury, could derail their entire investment. I'm hoping that the delay is simply related to one/two of the big strikers moving first.

30 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I dont follow the transfer rumor mill too closely. I'm more of a wake me up when it's over type of guy. People can help me out with this one but it feels like David to Tottenham is being held up Kane's to Bayern being a complete mess. 

I think that's true. I also don't think David is clearly the direction they will go. Possible definitely, but not a slam dunk.

I am always pragmatic about that sort of thing.  It would definitely suck from a CMNT perspective but I also see the attraction of cashing a massive paycheck if obscene wages are being dangled in front of your face.  If someone offered me 2-3x my wages it would be tempting regardless of the sporting trade-offs required.  During a 10-15 year career it could mean the difference between being just wealthy and being silly-rich.   

I hope he chooses the destination that will challenge him to become the best player he can be - but I would never blame someone for wanting to get paid (well).  

3 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Yeah I want him off this team if he goes to Al Hilal. Might as well go to cf Montreal at that point. Get your bag and all but if he goes Saudi I want nothing to do with him. 

This is my gut reaction too.

Love the guy and all but... 🤮 

11 minutes ago, PastPros said:

This is my gut reaction too.

Love the guy and all but... 🤮 

It’s a worse league than MLS, its star players openly don’t care about the competitive aspect of the game, he’ll never return to Europe, I mean… what’s the point? He’ll make a lot of money but with that talent, having LOSC be the best club you’ll ever play for is an abject failure. I’m sure he can console himself with the generational wealth he’ll earn, but the idea of him going there disgusts me. 

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

Is this on a political/ethical basis or a competitive basis?   

Competitive. I don’t exactly like the idea of a brand new League out of nowhere potentially just buying their way into being a top league with zero regard for quality of play, but on the other hand, I watch the NBA, so I can’t talk much about that. 

8 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

obviously never heard of the site, but looks big. It says that they’re in advance negotiations with Lille, I wonder if they’ve spoken to him yet. 

Sky Sports is big but makes stuff up.

Maybe part wishful thinking on my part but I will still need more sources, not one bounced around Twitter.

Edit: Also not a bad way for Lille to drum up business if they are beginning to get antsy.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Seen news of Sadio Mane going to the Saudi league and went "Another one?!"...then preceded to r/soccer to see this....couldn't believe it.

That being said I think wherever David ends up it's better that he's playing vs being on the bench. And I suspect he would get regular playing time at Al Hilal??