Jonathan David

Vince193

5 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Is PSG worse than Juve though? I mean, PSG is eventually gonna have to win champions league at some point. Doubt Qatar invested in a global soccer giant to just dominate France and do nothing else. 

The way I see it...

Juventus:

• Ownership = proven corrupt
  • Successful and glorious past
  • Solid fan base
  • No player issues or scandals really - good players go there and seem to do well -  no infighting or drama
  • Stable coaching and system
  • League level and competition is strong

PSG

• Very toxic atmosphere among players, infighting, drama, clicky, etc...
  • Coaching = revolving door
  • Toxic fan base, they love the team, but get drunk and beat it up every week
  • Constant contract drama
  • Limited weekly competition.
  • The only true challenger for the title is their own failure

Just now, costarg said:

The way I see it...

Juventus:

• Solid fan base
  • No player issues or scandals really - good players go there and seem to do well -  no infighting or drama

PSG

Not saying you are wrong, and I would definitely welcome a move to Juve, but how much of that drama at PSG do you think is credit to Mbappe, Messi, and Neymar? We’re talking about trying to make three of the biggest egos (and best players) in the world work together on the same team where all three can and should be franchise cornerstones for their own rosters, all while having to field a world class roster around them.

You replace, say, Mbappe with David- he has so much to prove still, he’s not bigger than the club like any of PSG’s big three stars are, he still needs to take a step up to really hit that star level, and plus he won’t be able to threaten to leave because Madrid or City won’t offer him the €1.5M/wk they’ll try and use to sway Mbappe away from them. 

4 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

Paris not a soccer town, doesn't breathe the game? is that why in the banlieues and cités they have whole tournaments of the francosphere? DOM-TOM vs. Morocco, Sénégal vs Algeria, etc. The city with the most players at the World Cup is Paris why could that be?

I've been in Paris during the WC with France playing. People half watching. It's the weakest large city in Europe for football. Saying there are tournaments in the banlieu--but that's par with every working class suburb in Europe or South America. 

Marseille breathes football, Lyon, Lille, Lens, Brittany. In the south-west of France it's rugby.

Paris is the last European city to take interest in the game, excepting the team of the French communist party, Etoile, Red Star.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I've been in Paris during the WC with France playing. People half watching. It's the weakest large city in Europe for football. Saying there are tournaments in the banlieu--but that's par with every working class suburb in Europe or South America. 

Marseille breathes football, Lyon, Lille, Lens, Brittany. In the south-west of France it's rugby.

Paris is the last European city to take interest in the game, excepting the team if the French communist party, Etoile, Red Star.

That's crazy if Parisians weren't caring about the world cup. I was in berlin for the 2018 world cup and you'd get several thousand fans at the Brandenburg gate for any big game, and whenever France was playing, the streets would be filled with French jerseys. My girlfriend and the time and I were probably the only ones at the bar cheering for Croatia during the finals- that is, before I developed a blood feud with the nation of Croatia.

Just now, InglewoodJack said:

That's crazy if Parisians weren't caring about the world cup. I was in berlin for the 2018 world cup and you'd get several thousand fans at the Brandenburg gate for any big game, and whenever France was playing, the streets would be filled with French jerseys. My girlfriend and the time and I were probably the only ones at the bar cheering for Croatia during the finals- that is, before I developed a blood feud with the nation of Croatia.

That was during the Russia WC. Shocked how a big pub in Paris was full of guys drinking and chatting with their backs to the screen with France playing!

I was also in Marseille in '98, the day of the England riot when they trashed the centre and there were fights around the port (didn't go to games, was there for work). Marseille and OM fans, the level of intensity is undeniable, anti PSG signs everywhere. Also been to St Etiènne. 

Even the name PSG, I think people should read about how they fabricated that ridiculous name.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

I'm very familiar with both Paris and Lille and Lille is far and away a more passionate soccer city than Paris.  I was in Paris during Euro 2016 and outside of the fan zone at Champ de Mars, there wasn't much of a soccer buzz.  I was in Lille during the World Cup and granted, it's a way bigger than Euro, but there were official and unofficial fan zones across the city. Using a junior hockey analogy, Sudbury is much more passionate for their junior hockey team than Toronto every was.  

7 hours ago, VinceA said:

Also an interesting one as time doesn't affect Paul Rudd as it does the rest of us.

I was thinking after the fact, it is not especially fair to use him since he doesn't look that much different than he did in Romeo and Juliet (first thing I remember him in) but I had just read something that said he was born in '69 and I knew PSG was early 70s. So it came to my head. 

9 hours ago, costarg said:

The way I see it...

Juventus:

• Solid fan base

PSG

My only fear with Juventus is that Allegri is a defensive minded manager. Vlahovic didn't set the world on fire last season, but I don't know if that was because of the system or his own shortcomings (of which he certainly has a few). I think David is the better player so hopefully he would have a better output, but I do have concerns about him thriving under Allegri.

Edited by frmr

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That was during the Russia WC. Shocked how a big pub in Paris was full of guys drinking and chatting with their backs to the screen with France playing!

I was also in Marseille in '98, the day of the England riot when they trashed the centre and there were fights around the port (didn't go to games, was there for work). Marseille and OM fans, the level of intensity is undeniable, anti PSG signs everywhere. Also been to St Etiènne. 

Even the name PSG, I think people should read about how they fabricated that ridiculous name.

Interesting.  I was in Paris for some of the Russia WC and I had the opposite impression.  Every bar had screens on and all the matches playing.  You would walk along any boulevard and it was one bar, one cafe after another showing the matches.  My wife is Belgium, and we went to bars to watch their matches and the places were rocking.  All that being said, the saturation point was so high that sure you would have people (including many tourists from non-footballing countries like the US) sitting there not paying much attention if any at all.  Or the fact there were matches say between Korea and Ghana that just didn't have the buzz with the casual fan.  Frankly, I lived in London for 17 years and my impression was Paris had far more of buzz in general, of course other than when England was playing.  

1 hour ago, jhoops__ said:

A far sight better than some of the English rumours for instance this:

http://sportwitness.co.uk/tottenham-eyeing-26-goal-striker-kane-replacement-proven-goalscorer-club-want-e60m/

Still prefer foreign for him unless the miracle happens. European football and playing regular should be musts. 

51 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

He’d have lots of competition for playing time… Wilson and Isak.  And they also have Anthony Gordon and Saint-Maximin in forward positions as well.

He would be amazing with Isak and they did play the Isak and Wilson together when they were both healthy at the end of last season. 

Wilson had his best fitness year in a long while if I remember correctly, will that repeat another year on?

1 hour ago, TOcanadafan said:

He’d have lots of competition for playing time… Wilson and Isak.  And they also have Anthony Gordon and Saint-Maximin in forward positions as well.

I would think if they paid his transfer fee he would get playing time so they could maintain his value, but this is a sovereign fund club, so they could have an expensive bench warmer if they wanted.

Very interested to see how this turns out.

Kane to Bayern sounds real, but it makes no sense. England’s captain at his peak leaving the premier league to go play in Germany when he does have interest from premier league clubs? Plus, he’s building a house near London which I guess he can afford and still buy something in munch, but would be such a strange move. I don’t know why BM wouldn’t just go for David instead. He’s cheaper, good enough to be their striker, and if Choupo-Moting can lead the team to the same goals per game as Lewy’s Bayern team did, not sure why you need to drop €100M on a striker.

Hell, I think Cyle Larin would get close to 20 goals with them. 

Edited by InglewoodJack

13 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Kane to Bayern sounds real, but it makes no sense. England’s captain at his peak leaving the premier league to go play in Germany when he does have interest from premier league clubs? Plus, he’s building a house near London which I guess he can afford and still buy something in munch, but would be such a strange move. I don’t know why BM wouldn’t just go for David instead. He’s cheaper, good enough to be their striker, and if Choupo-Moting can lead the team to the same goals per game as Lewy’s Bayern team did, not sure why you need to drop €100M on a striker.

Kane, Lewandowski and even Choupo-Moting are not the same profile striker as Jonathan David.  They want what they want.

Kane wants to be at a world-class club (or at least I think he wants to win stuff.) I don't think the Premier League ones need him and he probably doesn't fit the style of the other ones that can afford him. It would be a great fit for me but apparently I need to step my Kane-hating game.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

5 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Kane, Lewandowski and even Choupo-Moting are not the same profile striker as Jonathan David.  They want what they want.

Kane wants to be at a world-class club (or at least I think he wants to win stuff.) I don't think the Premier League ones need him and he probably doesn't fit the style of the other ones that can afford him. It would be a great fit for me but apparently I need to step my Kane-hating game.

They're different profiles, but I've always just thought Bayern needs a guy who can run and chew gum at the same time and put the ball in the net when it's on his foot, because he'll be surrounded by such good service. I've been on the Larin to Bayern train for a while because of that- if one of the worst teams in Spain can put the ball on his foot in good areas, I think Bayern's guys should be able to do the same with any half decent striker.

I'm fine with Kane to Bayern as a concept- I like BM, even though they're anything but an underdog, I still think them winning Champions League is a cool underdog story because the Bundesliga is underrated, I'm just surprised that Mr. England would leave England and sign for a club where a deep Champions League run isn't necessarily a given. I just think it's a very high fee for a team that could get away with a cheaper option, but hey, if they've got the money, go for it.

12 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I like Kane for Bayern. They are a top 5 side in World Football. It's the best move he could make outside of England, aside from Real Madrid. Barcelona are set with Lewandowski and Kane fills the void he left, both in terms of playing style but also status and reputation. Few strikers have the status and reputation of Lewandowski, and Kane is one of them. David is not on that level at this stage of his career, obviously. IF Bayern wanted a project they'd go for David, but I think Bayern needs a big player and Kane would fit the bill.

For Kane I like it because I like to see the best English players test themselves abroad. It doesn't happen enough IMO. Michael Owen went to Madrid and so did David Beckham. Staying in England and going to Man U would be predictable and boring, although I would enjoy the Kane vs Halland narratives if that happens.