Jonathan David

Vince193

Random question, but is there a reason he uses his first initial on his jersey at Lille and with Canada? He's the only player with that last name on either team. Only thing I can think of is that David can be a first name and many international footy players use their first name on their jersey, so he wants to make it clear that it's not.

"J.David" instead of just "David".

Saw on the World Cup rosters sheet that's what his jersey is going to say again https://fdp.fifa.org/assetspublic/ce44/pdf/SquadLists-English.pdf

5 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I thought he played quite well. He was all over the pitch and showed some great holdup play. Kilbane may be right the his dropping deep is not a good thing, but he's just a great footballer who contributes wherever he gets on the ball. 

Sure but he has a main job and was unable to deliver. For all the "Iceman" comments, he hasn't shown that against the best.

22 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I don't understand where this can't deliver against top opponents is coming from. What top opponents have we played beyond Belgium? Uruguay? He has two goals in Honduras. Does any other Canadian have that on their resume?

I think is just a reflection on the other strikers.  Larin has goals against honduras, USA and mexico.  Cavs has mexico and USA.  But its all baloney, David has scored against good teams, under pressure in europe.  

I will say the more I watch this the more angry I get. 

This is the only real negativity I'll take from this. David is letting Canada down with the amount he talks about his composure and the will to get Canada's first goal at a WC but then pulling shit like this. This was as easy a goal you can get and he fails spectacularly.

I get he's 22 but at some point he needs to show he can get it done. He isn't right now.

8 minutes ago, VinceA said:

This is the only real negativity I'll take from this. David is letting Canada down with the amount he talks about his composure and the will to get Canada's first goal at a WC but then pulling shit like this. This was as easy a goal you can get and he fails spectacularly.

I get he's 22 but at some point he needs to show he can get it done. He isn't right now.

He has no aerial ability though - it’s a big downside of having him as your sole striker.

Easy now.  Buchanon put a couple of half chances 30 rows into the stands, Larin had a couple of shots to get good crosses on frame but couldnt, Davies missed the penalty.  It happens.

Scoring buckets in Belgium, France and previously in a red shirt proves he can get it done.  Nobody gets it done every time............  

58 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Easy now.  Buchanon put a couple of half chances 30 rows into the stands, Larin had a couple of shots to get good crosses on frame but couldnt, Davies missed the penalty.  It happens.

Scoring buckets in Belgium, France and previously in a red shirt proves he can get it done.  Nobody gets it done every time............  

Buchanan isn’t a prolific scorer in club but I’m going to write it off as 1st game nerves. These crosses coming into the box need to be going on net

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

TBH, I was way more upset when he didn't lay the ball off to Richie in the 1st half than with this missed half chance, especially since heading is not his forte.

But let's not get down on JD; he'll get the job done. He did score in the Suriname game (I know that seems "easy" in retrospect, but at the time, it was huge), the goal away at Honduras in WCQ, the goal away at ES, and the goal at Honduras in Nations league when they played in the pool ...