Jonathan David

Vince193

2 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

Bayern has clearly found their striker in Choupo-Moting but wtf is going on at Chelsea and Liverpool?! LFC had my poor 11 year old nephew in tears this aft. Told him he's gonna solve that in a decade but for now David has to be on their radar no?

Liverpool's problems are in midfield, not up front, even if injuries have them pretty thin at the moment. Salah, Jota, Diaz, Nunez, and Firmino are a formidable attacking crew. I do still dream of JD coming in as the Firmono replacement next season, though.

Ligue 1 values updated. No change to David or his ranking in France, but holy crap:

https://www.transfermarkt.us/ligue-1/marktwertaenderungen/wettbewerb/FR1/saison_id/2022/sort/marktwert.desc

hes the 9th most valuable player in France, most valuable non-PSG player, and the only non-PSG guy in the top 12.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Ligue 1 values updated. No change to David or his ranking in France, but holy crap:

https://www.transfermarkt.us/ligue-1/marktwertaenderungen/wettbewerb/FR1/saison_id/2022/sort/marktwert.desc

hes the 9th most valuable player in France, most valuable non-PSG player, and the only non-PSG guy in the top 12.

Continues to show why Lille's title was a minor miracle. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

20 minutes ago, Vasi said:

This is so wild. I am surprised that no other mega rich person (country) has bought another team in France.  Usually that's what happens. Considering that France is the worlds football factory, you would think that someone would come in. 

City Group (Man City, NYCFC, etc) does own Troyes but they don't really over spend

Seeing as Atlético Madrid is going to offload quite a few players in winter, it seems, including Joao Felix, it did occur to me they could be interested. Not where I'd want him to go, as Simeone is not overly concerned about creating the conditions for his strikers to succeed. Only that they'll have money to cover for the CL and Europe elimination, along with having a weaker league season, so could be in the market for certain players. 

If he went, he'd be in there with Álvaro Morata and Griezmann.

I know, uninspiring.

6 hours ago, narduch said:

City Group (Man City, NYCFC, etc) does own Troyes but they don't really over spend

Thanks. Did mot know that. I'm assuming that tickets and media rights are not big enough for them to invest obscene amounts of money. 

22 hours ago, narduch said:

Correct, I see this with Girona in La Liga (where Guardiola's brother Pere has a %). 

I am not sure of the philosophy of this, since Girona like Troyes have upsides. Girona beat a v good Athletic Bilbao last night. They have hardly spent this season after promoting. If they get on a roll, get into Europe, that means you are going to have to spend more and you'll also make more. They are a tier or 2 below ManCity in quality, but not that far. So I admit: I am not sure what sort of limitations they put on these teams.

Girona has a small stadium, Montilivi, that can't even hold 14,000. If they get 12,000 that is a good crowd--it is usually fairly lively and a positive atmosphere. Clear limitation, despite revenue not being stadium driven any more in the big leagues (Eibar was a few years in La Liga with a stadium holding even less). Girona has a population of 100k with hardly any suburban communities. Troyes stadium holds 20,000 I see, which is more reasonable for Ligue 1.

I'm just trying to grasp the limitations of these branch teams, how they are scaled in relation to the mother club. Of course we don't have this question in the same way with Atlético Ottawa, since our salary cap equalizes what could, in their case be a project with an even higher investment and potentially higher upside in terms of revenue as well.

10 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Correct, I see this with Girona in La Liga (where Guardiola's brother Pere has a %). 

I am not sure of the philosophy of this, since Girona like Troyes have upsides. Girona beat a v good Athletic Bilbao last night. They have hardly spent this season after promoting. If they get on a roll, get into Europe, that means you are going to have to spend more and you'll also make more. They are a tier or 2 below ManCity in quality, but not that far. So I admit: I am not sure what sort of limitations they put on these teams.

Girona has a small stadium, Montilivi, that can't even hold 14,000. If they get 12,000 that is a good crowd--it is usually fairly lively and a positive atmosphere. Clear limitation, despite revenue not being stadium driven any more in the big leagues (Eibar was a few years in La Liga with a stadium holding even less). Girona has a population of 100k with hardly any suburban communities. Troyes stadium holds 20,000 I see, which is more reasonable for Ligue 1.

I'm just trying to grasp the limitations of these branch teams, how they are scaled in relation to the mother club. Of course we don't have this question in the same way with Atlético Ottawa, since our salary cap equalizes what could, in their case be a project with an even higher investment and potentially higher upside in terms of revenue as well.

I wonder if these owners will eventually get bored and pull the plug. 

Perhaps City Group doesn't want Troyes or Girona to do to well and then have to face Man City in European competitions. 

5 hours ago, narduch said:

I wonder if these owners will eventually get bored and pull the plug. 

Perhaps City Group doesn't want Troyes or Girona to do to well and then have to face Man City in European competitions. 

I'm pretty sure that all of the other clubs are part of the larger project to funnel money and talent into Man City in hopes of winning the Champions League. Winning isn't necessarily the end game at Girona, Yokohama F-Marinos, NYCFC, or Melbourne City, even if it's welcomed should it happen.

8 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I'm pretty sure that all of the other clubs are part of the larger project to funnel money and talent into Man City in hopes of winning the Champions League. Winning isn't necessarily the end game at Girona, Yokohama F-Marinos, NYCFC, or Melbourne City, even if it's welcomed should it happen.

There's no clear evidence Man City is benefitting that much. The teams aren't big money makers, or have stars for merchandising except New York. All I see with Girona is that young signings are loaned to them...but then could just as easily go on loan to a Portuguese team they don't own.

A couple years ago I watched their B team vs Barcelona rivals a few times and saw the profiles, but also spoke to some staff who I know. The sporting director Quique Cárcel and a development coach, who we call Toto, used to run a HP academy in Barcelona my kid was recruited to 10 years ago (Toto coached Ilie the LAFC player pre Barça). Very down to earth guys, all recruited into City Group locally and bottom up and not  strident at all, old school football pros.

Just now, Unnamed Trialist said:

There's no clear evidence Man City is benefitting that much. The teams aren't big money makers, or have stars for merchandising except New York. All I see with Girona is that young signings are loaned to them...but then could just as easily go on loan to a Portuguese team they don't own.

A couple years ago I watched their B team vs Barcelona rivals a few times and saw the profiles, but also spoke to some staff who I know. The sporting director Quique Cárcel and a development coach, who we call Toto, used to run a HP academy in Barcelona my kid was recruited to 10 years ago (Toto coached Ilie the LAFC player pre Barça). Very down to earth guys, all recruited into City Group locally and bottom up and not  strident at all, old school football pros.

After City Group bought Melbourne Heart 10 years ago, it was reported that the now Melbourne City would be hosting coaches and administrators from Manchester on annual visits, as well as sending their own coaches and administrators to England for occasional visits. The big club was meant to be charging the Australian club tens of millions of dollars in consulting fees for the privilege. It's all part of the grift to get around FFP regulations.

3 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

After City Group bought Melbourne Heart 10 years ago, it was reported that the now Melbourne City would be hosting coaches and administrators from Manchester on annual visits, as well as sending their own coaches and administrators to England for occasional visits. The big club was meant to be charging the Australian club tens of millions of dollars in consulting fees for the privilege. It's all part of the grift to get around FFP regulations.

Explain that a bit more? You say they're creating bogus revenue streams to justify corresponding spending on the part of Man City?

I don't see that here, I don't think Girona overspends at all, so I'm not sure how it works. Maybe there are EU restrictions. Frankly, since Girona or Troyes create low to no synergies for Man City, ie in merchandising or brand recognition, even club renaming or stadium naming, unlike NYCFC, I don't get what they benefit (Troyes do wear blue and white, but not sky blue).