Jonathan David

Vince193

54 minutes ago, cronaldo7 said:

Eh, worst thing that happens is that he fails at Man Utd (just like many other great players have).

This would be a massive move and I’d personally love to see how it transpires. 

I keep re-iterating the same thing when it comes to speculation like this. Football players careers are short and their careers aren’t very predictable. If a chance like this comes, you take it (not everything can be playing for the perfect manager, or the perfect #10 feeding you the ball or the perfect moment in a career).

Just my opinion. 

Was going to make a cheesy joke about your username and approving a David transfer but I'll just say I agree with your opinion. It's a good one. 

On 4/20/2022 at 12:57 PM, Ally McCoist said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say there's a decent chance David goes to Man Utd. There were reports a while back that Erik ten Hag was interested in David. And with this quote from Rangnick that Man Utd might be going on a rebuild spree this summer... 

Idk just putting two and two together.

Going to bump my comment from April 20 😉

Man Utd have free run at £42m striker who fits swashbuckling Erik ten Hag style like glove
MANCHESTER UNITED are exploring the market for attacking reinforcements in preparation for Cristiano Ronaldo's potential departure.
Ryan Taylor express.co.uk July 21, 2022

Manchester United have searched far and wide in their pursuit of a new No 9 but there is one hidden gem yet to have fallen under consideration in the Old Trafford boardroom. The spellbinding, refreshing recent performances of revitalised trio Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Anthony Martial have quenched Erik ten Hag's immediate thirst for a new marquee frontman and furthermore, offered supporters hope of a brighter future than anticipated if Cristiano Ronaldo does move onto pastures new.

Martial, in particular, has blown away the cobwebs in emphatic fashion to prove he has the desire and determination to turn his United career around following a miserable loan spell with Sevilla.

Together, alongside Rashford and Sancho, United have provided some real throwback performances in their pre-season triumphs over Liverpool, Crystal Palace and Melbourne Victory.

The pace and fluidity in attack was reminiscent of the pre-Ronaldo era under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, when the Red Devils were seemingly stronger than ever post-Sir Alex Ferguson.

Their speed and unpredictability in attack left their opponents guessing shortly before United became too one-dimensional with Ronaldo spearheading their attack - despite his obvious qualities and goalscoring ability.

Therefore, it does not make much sense for United to sign a similar profile to Ronaldo if he is to depart - Ten Hag needs another forward capable of carrying out a similar style to his current tried-and-tested front three.

Jonathan David could be the answer to their prayers. Not only does he fit the bill stylistically but according to Fabrizio Romano, he is also available for around £42m this summer.

That is a snip in the modern transfer market when inflation is currently through the roof. It's borderline a miracle that nobody has snapped up David this summer given he is among the best forward options in the window.

Towards the end of last season, when Lille's Ligue 1 title defence ended with a whimper, it became clear the Canadian international striker was keen to pursue a new challenge. But to date, there has been no appealing offers for the 22-year-old, who was previously tracked by Liverpool.

David has been reasonably prolific since moving to Europe with Gent, where he struck 30 times in 60 outings, in 2018.

Since then, the Brooklyn-born attacker has registered 28 goals in 75 matches for an underwhelming Lille side - despite their title success in the 2020/21 season.

Furthermore, he has also fired Canada to the World Cup in Qatar, hitting 21 goals in 32 outings since making his debut back in 2018 as a teenager.

The former Ottawa Internationals youth star has similar attributes to Martial in the sense that he loves to run at defenders and finish low into the corners.

He is effectively a centre-forward, who also has the capabilities to play slightly wider if required.

That kind of flexibility is a blessing for a manager like Ten Hag, a manager that is renowned for helping players maximise their potential through his coaching.

David's runs in behind are perfect for stretching defences and when you also have Martial, Rashford and Sancho penetrating those gaps from deep - United are onto a winner.

Given David is only 22, he is only going to continue developing at a rapid rate, particularly if he features in a team full of extra quality.

This is a transfer that makes perfect sense for all parties, including Lille and ultimately, it would allow United to harvest funds from their transfer budget for other priority targets.

40 minutes ago, cronaldo7 said:

:) I made this account in 2003 when I was 17 and a Ronaldo fanboy. @Admin can I get a username change!?

2003 and only 340 comments? You are the biggest lurker I've ever seen. Also, goddamn you must've had so much faith in the future of his career to be a C. Ronaldo fan when he was that young. Your name has aged really well.

Honestly don't think there's much to this. Seems more like a journalist's speculation and then a Youtuber running with it to fill out content in silly season. Wouldn't be a smart move for David imo either, there's absolutely no indication that United's trajectory is correcting, and even with Ten Haag, they still have by far the worst ownership group in the Prem, who will make it very difficult for any manager to succeed there, as the past decade has shown. I'm not expecting United to return to glory any time soon.

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I know some people don’t like ManU but they finished in a European spot last year, are still a club with a global fan base and play in what many (UT aside) consider to be the best league in the world.  Anyone thinking this would not be a good move for JD (and the CMNT) is blinded by club biases IMO.  

I object to this. I can guarentee you I have no club bias and I am skeptical it would be a good move. At best, I am a very soft Arsenal fan, having grown up watching Henry, Viera, Pires and co., but now a days I barely watch the Premier League, let alone having clubs I strongly like or dislike. I am far more invested in clubs like TFC, Cavalry (to a lesser extent) and any club with a Canadian player.  So no, I am not blinded by club bias, I am just not convinced it's the right move or the right time. This is coming from someone who is desperate to see him leave Lille, to the point where I can almost talk myself into backing this move, but I fall short just because of how much of a dumpster fire Manchester United have been, historically speaking that is. Like I said, they are still a top club, a massive club, and a much stronger club than Lille. Even if he fails he'll land somewhere better than Lille. It's also a world cup year and I can see how it could go sideways. Not that it would for sure, but the question for me is: Is it worth it? I am on the fence but leaning no.

1 hour ago, Ally McCoist said:

2003 and only 340 comments? You are the biggest lurker I've ever seen. Also, goddamn you must've had so much faith in the future of his career to be a C. Ronaldo fan when he was that young. Your name has aged really well.

How do you see the biggest lurker unless you're an even bigger lurker?

A Buddhist koan for the day.

15 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I object to this. I can guarentee you I have no club bias and I am skeptical it would be a good move. At best, I am a very soft Arsenal fan, having grown up watching Henry, Viera, Pires and co., but now a days I barely watch the Premier League, let alone having clubs I strongly like or dislike. I am far more invested in clubs like TFC, Cavalry (to a lesser extent) and any club with a Canadian player.  So no, I am not blinded by club bias, I am just not convinced it's the right move or the right time. This is coming from someone who is desperate to see him leave Lille, to the point where I can almost talk myself into backing this move, but I fall short just because of how much of a dumpster fire Manchester United have been, historically speaking that is. Like I said, they are still a top club, a massive club, and a much stronger club than Lille. Even if he fails he'll land somewhere better than Lille. It's also a world cup year and I can see how it could go sideways. Not that it would for sure, but the question for me is: Is it worth it? I am on the fence but leaning no.

Is it worth it? You’re moving to a better league and club, training with better players and presumably getting decent playing time. Of course there are no guarantees but I see a much better upside playing there than remaining at Lille. I’m not going to get into the theatrics about ManU and them being a dumpster fire. 

United is a shit show, full stop. When your club legend doesn't even want to show up to preseason, it's probably an indicator that your club isn't being run very well. The bottom line is that the Glazers run it like a corporation, not a football club. Which is fair enough, their ownership structure ensures that they are making boatloads of money from it, but as a football club, it's (currently) a joke. Of course they have history on their side, they're one of the most famous clubs in the world and one of the most successful, I'm not taking anything away from that, but at the moment, they are not an attractive destination and anyone who really takes any sort of look at the situation can see why.

Frenkie De Jong just said he didn't want to move to United because the club is "erratic". That's putting it nicely imo.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/de-jong-man-united-chelsea-27530194

59 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I know some people don’t like ManU but they finished in a European spot last year, are still a club with a global fan base and play in what many (UT aside) consider to be the best league in the world.  Anyone thinking this would not be a good move for JD (and the CMNT) is blinded by club biases IMO.  

Ha, you honestly think the entire board thinks the EPL is the best league in the world except me? It gets so parochial at times.

Point is: if you have a player on a good team on any of the top leagues, or the best teams in the 2nd tier, that is good enough for your NT success. If our entire team were on Ajax, Benfica, Porto, Rangers, Celta, RB Salzburg, Bruges why not, we'd be a fully competitive national team.

So yes, absolutely, to Manchester United. Excellent move. In principle. Strikers are very finicky at times, but if Rangnick is a good players' coach, if he'll help him develop, even better. 

PS: it's the club I least like in EPL, I guess along with Chelsea. But that is not the point.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Many=entire board........alllrighty then...

15 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Ha, you honestly think the entire board thinks the EPL is the best league in the world except me? It gets so parochial at times, such bumpkins.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

5 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Many=entire board........alllrighty then...

So I could say "many have good reading comprehension (Bison44 aside)", and you wouldn't feel alluded to all?

It's still extreme parochialism, when the EPL is not even the winningest league, and then, for Canada, has done less, arguably, than Bundesliga for our NT, to give an example. Our most successful moment has been accomplished without Liga, EPL or Serie A.

1 hour ago, EJsens1 said:

Is it worth it? You’re moving to a better league and club, training with better players and presumably getting decent playing time. Of course there are no guarantees but I see a much better upside playing there than remaining at Lille.

I don't trust Manchester United to give him playing time, just like I don't trust Bayern to give him playing time. The difference is that Bayern is a much better, less toxic environment for David at the moment. I hope that's not contentious to say. I am not trying to shit on Man U specifically, but they are in turmoil relative to a club like Bayern. And for the record I wouldn't trust Chelsea to give him playing time either, but there's seemingly much less negativity surrounding them, at least.

First and foremost David has to play, especially with the World Cup approaching. He can train with the best players in the world, but if he's not in goal scoring form is it worth it? And if he insists on leaving Lille before the world cup, for a club where playing time is questionable, at least that club shouldn't be under a cloud of negativity. Maybe that doesn't concern you, but it concerns me.

All that being said, I still think Man U is a better club for David, and he probably should take the chance, I am just of the opinion it's far from the perfect move. 

As they say though, perfect is the enemy of good. And it would be good to see him leave Lille. 

10 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Ha, you honestly think the entire board thinks the EPL is the best league in the world except me? It gets so parochial at times.

Point is: if you have a player on a good team on any of the top leagues, or the best teams in the 2nd tier, that is good enough for your NT success. If our entire team were on Ajax, Benfica, Porto, Rangers, Celta, RB Salzburg, Bruges why not, we'd be a fully competitive national team.

So yes, absolutely, to Manchester United. Excellent move. In principle. Strikers are very finicky at times, but if Rangnick is a good players' coach, if he'll help him develop, even better. 

PS: it's the club I least like in EPL, I guess along with Chelsea. But that is not the point.

Ralf is gone. It's Erik ten Haag's team, now.

21 hours ago, Obinna said:

I don't trust Manchester United to give him playing time, just like I don't trust Bayern to give him playing time. The difference is that Bayern is a much better, less toxic environment for David at the moment. I hope that's not contentious to say. I am not trying to shit on Man U specifically, but they are in turmoil relative to a club like Bayern.

I thought Bayern would be a good move for him as well, but it looks like they aren’t losing anyone of Gnabry, Coman or Sane, so it looks like they’ll just play mix-and-match in the striker position with what they have.