Jonathan David

Vince193

5 games before the transfer window ends is a great bargaining chip for any of those teams, especially considering they’re probably at odds with his price tag.

surprised to see Barca’s name there- I don’t recall that rumour, but would they really be willing to shell out €50M for Johnny David like a year after they were too broke to keep the best player in the world who was extremely motivated to stay with them? 

The bonus for Lille in negotiations is that they aren't in Europe this year, so David won't be cup-tied before any transfer. I mean I'm sure they'd rather be in Europe, but for the purposes of any negotiations it let's them wait longer.

Edited by Watchmen

13 hours ago, Obinna said:

I've actually enjoyed it. It's been years since I have had a club worth cheering for in Europe. I grew up as a fan of Arsenal, then later Barca, but none of that ever compared to supporting Canada, or even TFC for that matter. That's what I am all about.

Getting to "find" a team because the top Canadian plays for them has been a happy convenience. Don't get me wrong, I am definitely a "support the team with Canadians" kinda guy, but it's a rare thing when you can do that, watch an elite level team, and get invested in their results.

I am not quite a "Bayern fan" yet, but I am certainly trending there. David could probably seal it lol

Come to the dark side and join us Obinna.

59 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

surprised to see Barca’s name there- I don’t recall that rumour, but would they really be willing to shell out €50M for Johnny David like a year after they were too broke to keep the best player in the world who was extremely motivated to stay with them? 

The Barca rumour started on some obscure Canadian soccer message board where a Barcelona-loving Canadian ex-pat living in Spain posted a few things.

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

The Barca rumour started on some obscure Canadian soccer message board where a Barcelona-loving Canadian ex-pat living in Spain posted a few things.

Nice try: as most know here, I always have said he is not a Barça player, and that he is a Real Madrid player. 

I know it sounds odd or cruel, but there is no Canadian I would currently want playing for Barça. Except, for example, Crepeau as second keeper for example. Or Davies if converted to a right side attacker if we lose Dembele. 

Barça has Depay, age 28, but today reports say he could be sold if someone comes with 20million. Aubemayang is 33, so the idea is that Lewandowski would be an upgrade despite the age. We have Braithwaite too who does not want to leave. So how would you fit David into that set-up? Well you wouldn't, he does not give us anything and we've really never had a player like him. While Real Madrid has and could use him much better.

Back on topic: folks should be careful how to describe the asking price for David. 

First, they paid 27 million euros think it was (you never know the extras, details), so you have to calculate how long they need to get their investment back if he were never to be sold. You could argue he gave them a league, so he's already paid it back. Too bad Covid cut into the way that could be monetized by the team.

Or else, you figure he has a contract until end of June 2025. If he produces decently until then, over 5 seasons at Lille, you got your money back.

If he produces quicker and more noticeably then you can flip him faster, that is where the relatively arbitrary 50 million comes from: a producing striker in Ligue 1 could attract the interest of maybe a dozen top teams who could pay that quantity.

But it is arbitrary to a point. It is doubling his purchase price plus he's a striker who's proven he could go from Belgium to France plus he's young. That is all. As you get close to the end of his contract, that price can come down for Lille, when there is a year and a half left on it they could take 35 or even 25 million and be happy. Not all players have to be money-making like that. 

I could see him scoring 6-8 this fall before Qatar, then if he produces anything in Qatar they could get their 50 million in the winter break. If he has a similar season to this last, he'll be worth less, and progressively so until there's a year on his contract.

Or about so, because by the time a free transfer seems possible, no one will pay much of anything unless 1-he agrees to facilitate the financial benefit to Lille, or 2-he is producing so well that a bidding war goes on regardless.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

I really hope this happens… I think the Bundesliga is the perfect next step and the style will suite David well. Thomas Muller would be a great mentor and I could see them working well together pulling CB’s out of position with Mane/Gnabry/Davies running in behind. Replacing Lewandowski and competing for champions league titles is a big ask though…

5 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

He felt disrespected that Bayern was actively pursuing Haaland (to replace him) while being far apart on  / not negotiating an extension.

Apart from Bayern underpaying. And there being zero competition in Germany, meaning you can coast and still win. Or Bayern being nowhere near FCB in international media presence, since if he'd scored what he did anywhere else the Ballon d'Or would have been his 3 years straight or near to that. 

I see the ads for next season, for the Bayern computer game, don't include him. 

On 6/30/2022 at 11:29 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

And there being zero competition in Germany, meaning you can coast and still win.

I feel like you've never talked to Bayern fans, who every year for the last 5 or 6 years have insisted to me "no really, we aren't going to win it again. For real this time!  I'm being super serious!  The other teams are really catching us and we're not miles ahead of them!" and then seem genuinely surprised when they win it again.

Anyway, congratulations to Bayern Munich on your 11th Bundesliga title in a row.  Try to act surprised again, Bayern fans.

3 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

EE9dJeF.png

This picture never gets old.

4 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I feel like you've never talked to Bayern fans, who every year for the last 5 or 6 years have insisted to me "no really, we aren't going to win it again. For real this time!  I'm being super serious!  The other teams are really catching us and we're not miles ahead of them!" and then seem genuinely surprised when they win it again.

Anyway, congratulations to Bayern Munich on your 11th Bundesliga title in a row.  Try to act surprised again, Bayern fans.

To be fair, Bayern have not run away with the title for a while now. Each season thet seem to maintain a single digit cushion on the chasing pack, and have at least one slip where the gap closes to 4 points or less. While it hasn't really come down to the wire, they tend to drop points and let the likes of RB Leipzig, Dortmund or Leverkusen hang around and stay in the race. When was the last PSG style donination? I can see why Bayern fans would feel surprised everytime they win the title.

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

This picture never gets old.

To be fair, Bayern have not run away with the title for a while now. Each season thet seem to maintain a single digit cushion on the chasing pack, and have at least one slip where the gap closes to 4 points or less. While it hasn't really come down to the wire, they tend to drop points and let the likes of RB Leipzig, Dortmund or Leverkusen hang around and stay in the race. When was the last PSG style donination? I can see why Bayern fans would feel surprised everytime they win the title.

So true. it will be nice if someone else won the Bundesliga just for a change . But you are right I think only once or twice has Bayern really dominated  a season . they tend to go on a late season surge