Jonathan David

Vince193

36 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Botman has gone to Newcastle for 40€ million. They can still sell Sanches. They don't need to sell David. 

I think he'll spend another year there. Or until the winter break. Hopefully the coaching benefits him. 

At this pace Lille will be a relegation candidate 

30 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Botman has gone to Newcastle for 40€ million. They can still sell Sanches. They don't need to sell David. 

I think he'll spend another year there. Or until the winter break. Hopefully the coaching benefits him. 

It's hard to soar  like an eagle when you are surrounded by crows. Lille keep selling their better players and the team is significantly weaker, talent wise, since they won Ligue 1. Better coaching would help but there is no longer a support group for David to score consistently. For Lille, keeping David would be like GTA homeowners hoping prices of real estate get back to pre March levels. 

9 minutes ago, narduch said:

At this pace Lille will be a relegation candidate 

I don't think so. They are still in amongst the top 6-8 in spending, they sell for a profit, the stadium is well attended. They're well ahead of the bottom half of Ligue 1. A lot of last year was needing a goal to draw, needing one to win. 

I keep hoping they get coached better, even with Galtier there didn't seem to be a path to creating consistent scoring chances. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

I've actually enjoyed it. It's been years since I have had a club worth cheering for in Europe. I grew up as a fan of Arsenal, then later Barca, but none of that ever compared to supporting Canada, or even TFC for that matter. That's what I am all about.

Getting to "find" a team because the top Canadian plays for them has been a happy convenience. Don't get me wrong, I am definitely a "support the team with Canadians" kinda guy, but it's a rare thing when you can do that, watch an elite level team, and get invested in their results.

I am not quite a "Bayern fan" yet, but I am certainly trending there. David could probably seal it lol

Yeah, I don’t actually really mind Bayern. My actual German club is St. Pauli, and I developed a soft spot for Union Berlin when I used to live there, and neither of those clubs are remotely close to competing with Bayern, so I won’t be too disappointed if I have to watch Davies and David waltz into their 17th straight treble without breaking a sweat.

anyways, with JD, I’m warming up to him staying at Lille until after the WC. If his up and down trend continues, he should have an excellent start of the season, especially with the new coach, and coupled with a solid World Cup performance, he could set himself up for a very nice move in January, unless anything materializes for him soon.

Edited by InglewoodJack

2 hours ago, pod818 said:

As much as I would love to see David at Bayern, I don’t see it happening, at least not for 50 million Euro. That would be the second highest transfer in Bayern history who tend to be tighter with the pursestrings. Hopefully Lille are willing to come down on the transfer fee

This is the way i see it as well.  I have always thought of BM as the club who never acquires assets when they are at the peak of their values.   They always seem to be the club who seeks to buy low and sell high rather than buy popular players at top value only to please the supporters base.

Edited by Free kick

With Bayern, it all depends what happens with Lewandowski. Last I read, Bayern had at least an offer of 40M Euro plus 5M add ons from Barcelona. So perhaps its very similar money and they'll need a replacement for him if they can get a similar deal from Lille

5 minutes ago, Free kick said:

That would put him in the Cristiano Ronaldo, Eden Hazard territory.  He is not going to be 100 mill € player.   Especially not for a nine.  

Ps.:  i was reponding to the suggestion that he has to poetential to be a 100 mill transfer in the future

Wrong era. Chelsea bought Lukaku for 100M euros. David absolutely has the potential to reach Lukaku levels.

5 minutes ago, pod818 said:

With Bayern, it all depends what happens with Lewandowski. Last I read, Bayern had at least an offer of 40M Euro plus 5M add ons from Barcelona. So perhaps its very similar money and they'll need a replacement for him if they can get a similar deal from Lille

I still find it odd that they would get 40 mill € for Lewandowski and spend 50 mill € on David.   

12 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I still find it odd that they would get 40 mill € for Lewandowski and spend 50 mill € on David.   

It would be odd if Bayern's plan A was to replace Lewandowski with a younger, but inferior forward like David, and record a net loss of 5M to do so, but that's clearly their plan B.

Plan A obviously is for Lewandowski to be happy to stay at Bayern and stay, because he's the best 9 in the world (or at minimum top 3). 

19 minutes ago, narduch said:

Isn't Mane to BM sort of showing they have modified their transfer philosophy a bit?

PSG are also interested in Lewandowski by the way 

Not sure it does. Bayern never overpaid for Mane. The money they spent was fair value.

Bayern's transfer strategy is not to overpay, but they will pay a lot of money if the valuation makes sense. 

Is David worth Lille's asking price of 50M? That's a good question. For Bayern it may just be, especially in this market, and considering his age. I am not saying David is 10M euros better than Mane, in fact he is not better at all, but the age difference is reflected in the valuation and David has a lot more time left in his career than Mane does. 

Bayern paid 70M for Lucas Hernandez, which is a rare Bayern overpay in my view, but it shows they will spend if they believe the money is right. 

Edited by Obinna

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Not sure it does. Bayern never overpaid for Mane. The money they spent was fair value.

Bayern's transfer strategy is not to overpay, but they will pay a lot of money if the valuation makes sense. 

Is David worth Lille's asking price of 50M? That's a good question. For Bayern it may just be, especially in this market.

Bayern paid 70M for Lucas Hernandez, which is a rare Bayern overpay in my view, but it shows they will spend if they believe the money is right. 

Yes, This is the point i was making earlier.   BM appoach, as i see it, is not about being cheap and bargain shopping.  Its about making sure you dont end up paying a ton for just past performance.   They will pay for sure.   And thats why to me, it makes little sence to sell your best forward (and one of the best in the world) for 40 mill and acquire another, who might not or might never achieve the same height, for 50 Mill. 

Edited by Free kick

4 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Yes, This is the point i was making earlier.   BM appoach, as i see it, is not about being cheap and bargain shopping.  Its about making sure you dont end up paying a ton for just past performance.   They will pay for sure.   And thats why to me, it makes little sence to sell your best forward (and one of the best in the world) for 40 mill and acquire another, who might not or might never achieve the same height, for 50 Mill. 

They aren't selling Lewandowski because they want to. He wants out. 

Their arms are tied.

Edited by narduch

28 minutes ago, frmr said:

Schick probably.

Hopefully for the sake of David's Bayern chances they go for the best value and adjust later, rather than getting a player in the same mold of Lewandowski, just for the sake of playing the same way. 

Is David much different though stylistically? Lewandowski can drop deep and join the interplay, and so can David. He isn't as strong physically and his hold up play isn't as good, more like a work in progress. He's been rounding those parts of his game off at Lille though, more than he was at Gent. 

Schick I am not that familiar with, but he does strike me as being more Lewandowski-like than David. He's older than David, but he's also coming off a better season in a better league, the same league Bayern play in. No adjustment period required. It wouldn't shock me if he were one of the other names Bayern are pursuing. It also wouldn't surprise me if he were preferred to David as well.

Edited by Obinna