Jonathan David

Vince193

There are so many Lille players leaving that I suspect David will stay. They can't get full value for him, while they can for other players, like Botman, Celik. I am not saying they get more, but they relative benefit is not what they need.

If David had scored 3-4 more goals in the second half of the season things would be different. It is on him, as I see it. You have to be able to make your own chances and not be begging for "service", which seems to be a defect he falls into too readily.

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

There are so many Lille players leaving that I suspect David will stay. They can't get full value for him, while they can for other players, like Botman, Celik. I am not saying they get more, but they relative benefit is not what they need.

If David had scored 3-4 more goals in the second half of the season things would be different. It is on him, as I see it. You have to be able to make your own chances and not be begging for "service", which seems to be a defect he falls into too readily.

Exactly how I see it, unfortunately. 

What is too bad is that David still needs to develop.

He is a scorer in spite of not being at all fully developed as a pro. He can't get a shot away from a distance, he goes back to playmake well but is not so good keeping possession and turning. He is weak in the air. Does not stick his back into defenders and hold them down (and he seems to be strong enough to do so). We've never seen a free kick. His movement in the box for crosses always tends to be to hang back, he does not lead the line. All kinds of things that are not at all part of his indelible character as a player, he could improve everywhere in his game.

At good clubs with strong coaching, all of that would be worked on. I've gone on about him going to Real Madrid because I know Ancelloti would sort him out in 10 weeks. So would Arteta. Name another 20 teams in the top leagues, no doubt. At Lille he just wasted a season under a poor coach, and there was no evidence at all the coaching dedicated any time at all to his game.

12 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

What is too bad is that David still needs to develop.

He is a scorer in spite of not being at all fully developed as a pro. He can't get a shot away from a distance, he goes back to playmake well but is not so good keeping possession and turning. He is weak in the air. Does not stick his back into defenders and hold them down (and he seems to be strong enough to do so). We've never seen a free kick. His movement in the box for crosses always tends to be to hang back, he does not lead the line. All kinds of things that are not at all part of his indelible character as a player, he could improve everywhere in his game.

At good clubs with strong coaching, all of that would be worked on. I've gone on about him going to Real Madrid because I know Ancelloti would sort him out in 10 weeks. So would Arteta. Name another 20 teams in the top leagues, no doubt. At Lille he just wasted a season under a poor coach, and there was no evidence at all the coaching dedicated any time at all to his game.

All good points. 

Additionally, what happens to his transfer value if he's stuck at Lille again and only registers another 15 league goal next season. Does he even get that tally with Lille being gutted? I think David needs to get out asap. Even if he must settle for a mid table team in Spain or England, so be it. 

43 minutes ago, frmr said:

Article breaking down ten potential destinations for David.

https://theathletic.com/3380360/2022/06/24/jonathan-david-transfers/

I am coming round to wanting David at Newcastle. I only wouldn't out of fear we would break him but under Howe he would have a manager that would be improving him and playing to his strengths. I also think his stock has cooled a little that his price has gone down a touch. 

10 hours ago, jhoops__ said:

He definitely has to leave Lille as they’ll be shite AGAIN next season…

FYP.

There is a chance they might actually come out of this re-tooling a better team.  No challenger for Champions League to be sure but one which is watchable and which can market David's talents again. 

I'm not betting on it though.  Not even for the laugh.  

Just read an article from a French paper and they're talking about all the players they'll be selling and who they're trying to bring in.  No mention of David leaving, they make it pretty clear he'll be staying.  Apparently they're having a hard time bringing in forwards to replace Yilmaz who is already confirmed as gone and Weah who also seems like a imminent departure. 

I can't deal with another year of David at Lille, especially if they lose all their key pieces.  it's gonna be brutal.  This year could've been ok if it wasn't for the coach.

15 hours ago, costarg said:

Just read an article from a French paper and they're talking about all the players they'll be selling and who they're trying to bring in.  No mention of David leaving, they make it pretty clear he'll be staying.  Apparently they're having a hard time bringing in forwards to replace Yilmaz who is already confirmed as gone and Weah who also seems like a imminent departure. 

I can't deal with another year of David at Lille, especially if they lose all their key pieces.  it's gonna be brutal.  This year could've been ok if it wasn't for the coach.

Damn. Where is Weah moving to? 

hindsight is 20/20 but looks like he shouldve left in the winter transfer window when stock was high

5 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Sven Botman sold to Newcastle. David really needs out of Lille. Galtier  apparently on the verge of being named PSG mgr :)

Fonseca is supposed to be officially announced as new manager this week.

Milan are chasing Sanches.

But I agree David needs to get out asap

Bayern have been linked with David before. They also shop in France and have a large French contingent. Tolisso, Nianzou, Sarr, and Choupo-Moting all moved to Bayern directly from Ligue 1, while 4 of their players are full French internationals.

Losing Lewandowski would sting, but they added Mane and who will add goals. Therefore, they probably don’t need a mega star to replace the Pole. David may be the young investment to take a gamble on, knowing you have goals in the team regardless. Considering the fire power at Bayern, David would absolutely thrive in Bavaria. 

3 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

hating the David to Bayern rumour for the sole reason that it would mean I’d have to commit to being a Bayern fan, and that wouldn’t be ideal 

I've actually enjoyed it. It's been years since I have had a club worth cheering for in Europe. I grew up as a fan of Arsenal, then later Barca, but none of that ever compared to supporting Canada, or even TFC for that matter. That's what I am all about.

Getting to "find" a team because the top Canadian plays for them has been a happy convenience. Don't get me wrong, I am definitely a "support the team with Canadians" kinda guy, but it's a rare thing when you can do that, watch an elite level team, and get invested in their results.

I am not quite a "Bayern fan" yet, but I am certainly trending there. David could probably seal it lol

As much as I would love to see David at Bayern, I don’t see it happening, at least not for 50 million Euro. That would be the second highest transfer in Bayern history who tend to be tighter with the pursestrings. Hopefully Lille are willing to come down on the transfer fee