Jonathan David

Vince193

On 5/29/2022 at 4:45 PM, red card said:

Pitch invasions seem to back post covid but this one at St. Etienne has been the worst so far. It was pro/rel leg 2 match with Auxerre on BEIN. St. Etienne became the first D1 French club in about 5 years to be relegated due to losing to a D2 club.

France is not taking stadium security or general policing serious enough.  I love the country, culture and the people, but my god are they in over their heads.  Society if falling apart. 

21 hours ago, Obinna said:

To add, people are being squeezed right now by a triple threat of inflation, underemployment and rising interest rates. The middle and lower class in France are really up against it, a little bit more than we are on this side of the Atlantic. Throw in continental tensions from the conflict in Ukraine and you have the conditions for people to more easily snap and push things further than they otherwise would have.

A lot of tension in the world at the moment. It's a symptom of weakening economy conditions.

Add mental health to your list.  The past two years have really pushed some people past their limits.

20 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

On one hand, I am 1000% safe inside any major arena in North America,

Really?  I mean Canada is one thing, but having attended a few games in the US, it bumps up a level with drunken brawls, and then you have the insane incident in Mexico a few months ago.  I wouldn't generalize and consider sports events in North America safe.  Odds defiitely come into play depending the city, team and area. 

The outside of stadiums in the US is also a whole other discussion.

12 hours ago, InBorjanWeTrust said:

I was hoping there would be some sort of pitch invasion in March to celebrate qualifying for Qatar with the lads, but I certainly wasn’t going to make the first move! 

I kinda wish I wasn't third row so I could criticize us sitting so low who didn't take the first jump lol

Been following Real Madrid transfer news, and he is not appearing.

They are however clear about offloading both Mariano and Jovic, so there would be a spot or two available in attack.

They seem to be looking at Leao or Darwin Nuñez, but we'll see. Ancellotti seems interested in Richarlison at Everton. A lot of their apparent transfer targets are being blocked, like Tchouameni. 

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Looks like Milan are working on completing the transfer of Renato Sanches.

David needs to get out simply because the team continues to lose quality players 

Renato Sanches is one of the most inconsistent players... brilliant in one game and brutal in another. If he moves to Milan there is no reason why David cannot move to a top 4 league. The only issue is transfer price.

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Renato Sanches is one of the most inconsistent players... brilliant in one game and brutal in another. If he moves to Milan there is no reason why David cannot move to a top 4 league. The only issue is transfer price.

He also can't seem to stay healthy on a consistent basis.  I also question his reading of the game because he rarely makes the simple play, instead opting to make some extra touches and trying to reverse his direction of attack.  In his defense, he was the only creative midfielder on Lille so he may be better suited in Serie A when he's the secondary creator.

Anyone else fear they'll try and keep David as the the cornerstone? They've shipped away lesser pieces (Ikone, Maignon, etc.) and soon Botman, Sanches, etc. 

I know David is adamant about moving on, and I think he will, but I get concerned when these lesser players with smaller price tags are reportedly close while there's no such reporting on David by comparison. Nothing yet has suggested he's close to moving anywhere. I hope that changes soon.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Anyone else fear they'll try and keep David as the the cornerstone? They've shipped away lesser pieces (Ikone, Maignon, etc.) and soon Botman, Sanches, etc. 

I know David is adamant about moving on, and I think he will, but I get concerned when these lesser players with smaller price tags are reportedly close while there's no such reporting on David by comparison. Nothing yet has suggested he's close to moving anywhere. I hope that changes soon.

No because it's not their business model. Besides if they strip the team of any supporting cast (I'm being generous), David's performances will go downhill as will his value. The issue with David is the transfer price Lille are asking and therefore fewer buyers. He is also not a typical #9 which further reduces the field. I'm not surprised re timing. It took the whole off season before Gent sold him.

5 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

No because it's not their business model. Besides if they strip the team of any supporting cast (I'm being generous), David's performances will go downhill as will his value. The issue with David is the transfer price Lille are asking and therefore fewer buyers. He is also not a typical #9 which further reduces the field. I'm not surprised re timing. It took the whole off season before Gent sold him.

Forgot to add I think the price tag is primarily why they may end up keeping him as the cornerstone. Their model is buy low and sell high, so shipping away the supporting cast first suggests they are easier moves to make. In the end I hope David leaves, because you're right. I think it may degrade his value if he's surrounded by scrubs next season. 

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Forgot to add I think the price tag is primarily why they may end up keeping him as the cornerstone. Their model is buy low and sell high, so shipping away the supporting cast first suggests they are easier moves to make. In the end I hope David leaves, because you're right. I think it may degrade his value if he's surrounded by scrubs next season. 

I was surprised that Lille bid as high as they did for David. I really thought it would be a Bundesliga team, but given their financial issues, even with other player sales, it would not be a smart business move to keep him. 

I think a few dominoes have to fall before anyone gets close to making an offer on David. Liverpool and United seem to be in a Darwin Nunez standoff. It sounds like both clubs have David further down their list. Gabriel Jesus is another domino that seems to be above David on a few clubs lists (specifically Arsenal) that needs to fall. It sounds like David is that second tier of strikers with about five or six others, so while it's not a guarantee that he's going to get a move, if these dominoes start to fall it could start to look inevitable. Clubs that are kicking tires: Liverpool, Man United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Tottenham, Bayern (if Lewandowski moves), Newcastle, West Ham, Aston Villa, possibly Inter if Lautaro moves, and probably more. So there's plenty of clubs that could be in the market for him and at 50M euros he seems like good value (considering Nunez, who has similar numbers is apparently going for double that).

15 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

There is no supporting cast for David though. Over the past 2 seasons Lille have sold their best players (other than David). They would have to invest heavily in player acquisitions to get back to top 3.

Sanches will be gone, Yilmaz is toast. Are they really going to rely on Gomez and Weah? Could be a dire situation for David but it seems like the consensus is that his price tag is too high and he’ll likely be stuck at Lille. That second half slump really killed his chance of a good move