Jonathan David

Vince193

2 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

I could see both easily playing that. When you look at how much Villa has been spending and West Ham bid £50 million on a striker in January and the last striker they bought two years ago was £45. But as a West Ham and Canadian supporter, I hope David doesn’t end up at West Ham. To me it looks like a square peg in a round hole. 

I'm the same with David and Barça. In fact Barça and any Canadian player, including Davies.

From the outside, fans just think if this good player goes to that good team it is enough. But it is not. There are good fits and worse.

That is why, for example, I say David could work at Real Madrid even when I hate RM:

If you know a club as a fan, from the inside, even with all the permutations possible, you know what the club needs, and what it can use, and what it can get something from. That does not mean your club can't make mistakes, they all do. There are pleasant surprises. So I respect what you say about David and West Ham.

2 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

I could see both easily playing that. When you look at how much Villa has been spending and West Ham bid £50 million on a striker in January and the last striker they bought two years ago was £45. But as a West Ham and Canadian supporter, I hope David doesn’t end up at West Ham. To me it looks like a square peg in a round hole. 

It is certainly possible but the price is paper talk, I would think.  It is still 50 million Euros in the just slightly more reliable rest of the French press.  

But to entertain the idea, David would be an amazing upgrade on Ings, playing with Watkins.  But the rumour is West Ham want Watkins for £50 mil.  

That would finance the deal but I don't think Gerrard or Moyes want a striker like David leading the line in the Premier League. I would love him behind a bigger striker, where Lingard played last year but if West Ham are spending £50 it needs to be for an Antonio replacement/upgrade first.  But in dream world we need at least 2 strikers.

That all said, looking at it with Maple Leaf specs, if David had the ball where Antonio did on Sunday against Man City, the title race would be even more spicy at the moment.

24 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

That all said, looking at it with Maple Leaf specs, if David had the ball where Antonio did on Sunday against Man City, the title race would be even more spicy at the moment.

True but at the same time David wouldn’t have been able to hold up the ball and occupy city’s defence the way Antonio did, which means West Ham might have not scored the other two goals. 

I just hope if David moves, he ends up in a team where he will fit as I don’t see him as a player leading the line by himself. 

The only destinations that I have heard are Arsenal, West Ham and Newcastle. But honestly out of those choices, Arsenal makes the most sense and we are the best fit for a player of David's caliber. But if he were to go to West Ham, then he would actually thrive there too. But why Newcastle when they are mid table at best? They are 12th in the league and you want him to go there really? 

2 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

The only destinations that I have heard are Arsenal, West Ham and Newcastle. But honestly out of those choices, Arsenal makes the most sense and we are the best fit for a player of David's caliber. But if he were to go to West Ham, then he would actually thrive there too. But why Newcastle when they are mid table at best? They are 12th in the league and you want him to go there really? 

Aston Villa is also rumoured to be in on David, as mentioned in previous posts.

Edited by Weng

8 minutes ago, Weng said:

Aston Villa is also rumoured to be in on David, as mentioned in previous posts.

He would be under the tutelage of Stevie G, Steven Gerrard who is now becoming one of my favorite managers so if David were to go there, I wouldn't have a problem with that either

3 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Newcastle have a bunch of brand new shiny petro-bucks - essentially owned now by Saudi Arabia. The implication is that they will look to be a  force in the near future. Not the worst non-Europe playing place to go, if I was trying to be unbiased.  Decent manager as well. 

I was maybe okay with Arsenal for David, but Arteta has been poor in a number of ways over the last few months. Probably missing out on the CL (barring Naarch City doing another Lasagnagate with Spurs) seals it. 

6 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

You'd know West Ham better than I, but I don't think David has the pedigree or consistency to convince either club to dump nearly 40-50% of their annual transfer budget on. Particularly Villa, with Ings and Watkins there already, and having spent 30 million twice on two players that had only marginal impact last year. Villa have greater needs in defensive mid, defence, and on the wing. David at 50 million UKP? Yowza. Not likely.

Edited by The Real Marc

6 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

You'd know West Ham better than I, but I don't think David has the pedigree or consistency to convince either club to dump nearly 40-50% of their annual transfer budget on. Particularly Villa, with Ings and Watkins there already, and having spent 30 million twice on two players that had only marginal impact last year. Villa have greater needs in defensive mid, defence, and on the wing. David at 50 million UKP? Yowza. Not likely.

It would have been similar with Haller on 45mill.  Produced for a couple years in a decent league - Eredivisie (vs. David's Belgian League); then a step up for 2 years with good results - Bundesliga (vs David's Ligue 1).  

Bundesliga is a bit higher than Ligue1 but David probably did better over the whole of those two years than Haller.  Add to that David is younger and inflation and you can certainly make a case for David being worth over 50mil to West Ham.  

If you are desperate to compete at a higher level, you have to pay silly money sometimes. Especially for strikers.  

Whether this manager wants to repeat that is a different argument, but the form is there.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

David in the Premier League I mean it would do wonders for his career of course because he would become a bigger star for our program equal to that of Davies who is in Bundesliga with Bayern. Especially if David in the Premier League were to sign with a big name club and not only that but play well at said big name club, it does wonders for the CSA too in terms of money and marketability.

IMO he's not a Premiership player. 

He needs more hold up, has to  learn to battle for space with a CB and rarely jumps for anything. 

He does have the fitness and speed, and he can play a high pressuring line, but it's not enough. He has scoring precision, but he has trouble making his own chances. 

All this he could learn. Him not jumping is frankly odd. 

51 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

IMO he's not a Premiership player. 

He needs more hold up, has to  learn to battle for space with a CB and rarely jumps for anything. 

He does have the fitness and speed, and he can play a high pressuring line, but it's not enough. He has scoring precision, but he has trouble making his own chances. 

All this he could learn. Him not jumping is frankly odd. 

Depends on the team for me.  Dream scenario - David becomes an Aguero-type and I think he had an okay career in the Premier League.

Slightly less lofty, Defoe, Javier Hernandez, Craig Bellamy - strikers I have seen that made a career of primarily finishing without creating much for themselves.

I think a lot of the teams in the Premier League have, tactically, moved beyond the last decade standard 4231/433 that needs a Drogba-type in the center. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Just now, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Depends on the team for me.  Dream scenario - David becomes an Aguero-type and I think he had an okay career in the Premier League.

Slightly less lofty, Defoe, Javier Hernandez, Craig Bellamy - strikers I have seen that made a career of primary finishing without creating much for themselves.

I think a lot of the teams in the Premier League have, tactically, moved beyond the last decade standard 4231/433 that needs a Drogba-type in the center. 

Fair enough. If he goes to Brighton and Hove and scores 10, that'd be a success. But BH can't afford him. 

28 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Fair enough. If he goes to Brighton and Hove and scores 10, that'd be a success. But BH can't afford him. 

That's a strange take considering Brighton have never been linked to him, as far as I know.

Or is that your way to disparage the idea of him playing in the Premier league, somehow?

Chicharito, Bellamy, Defoe, did any of them play for Brighton? I don't see why David couldn't replicate what each of them has done in that division. 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

That's a strange take considering Brighton have never been linked to him, as far as I know.

Or is that your way to disparage the idea of him playing in the Premier league, somehow?

Chicharito, Bellamy, Defoe, did any of them play for Brighton? I don't see why David couldn't replicate what each of them has done in that division. 

It's not disparaging him to say he's maybe a mid table EPL striker. If you read my banter with the Hammers man I accept I don't know. 

Right now he's a mid table Ligue 1 player, so I'm querying about a major step up. 10 goals for David at Brighton, would that be a good season? Think it would. 

31 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's not disparaging him to say he's maybe a mid table EPL striker. If you read my banter with the Hammers man I accept I don't know. 

Right now he's a mid table Ligue 1 player, so I'm querying about a major step up. 10 goals for David at Brighton, would that be a good season? Think it would. 

Well, Villa are mid table and have been linked to him, unlike Brighton, so you could have used them, instead of a team who in people's minds is more associated with the Championship.

But you're not being disparaging? Sure, if you say so. Only you would know.

As for the 10 goal projection at a club like Brighton, Villa, or similar, yeah I think that's fine, and fair. First season in a tougher league, and not at a top club, that sounds about right.

Now, David being a mid table Ligue 1 player? That doesn't sound right.

I guess I know what you mean, since Lille are mid table by definition for this season (just like Villa). However, unlike Villa, they were Champions last season, routinely compete in Europe, and regularly finish in the top half of the table, if not the top 4-5.

And to back up that, look at Lille's 10 most recent finishes have been: 1st, 4th, 2nd, 17th, 11th, 5th, 8th, 3rd, 6th, 3rd.

All over the map, I suppose, but averaging out to be 6th, which is more upper table than mid table, in my opinion. In fact, that's about where I mentally pegged them before I looked that up. PSG, Lyon, OM, Monaco being clubs I consider as better, at least since the 2000's.

Edited by Obinna

34 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Would be a terrible move IMO

Ten Hag would be better than Arteta on recent form for me. Arteta's whining has done my head in recently. Almost makes me hope Spurs (*spits) stay ahead of them. 

But for very selfish reasons, I hope Man U are playing Conference League football next season and it would be nice if David found a good situation at bit higher level than that. 

You also play in a massive pressure cooker there and David's ups and down (if they continue) will soon not be well recieved.  

5 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

Man United in shambles >>>>> Lille

I'm all for hoping he goes to the perfect fit but if he lands there I'm not going to be upset.

I guess if things go poorly there he'll still find his feet at a club better than Lille.

And as much as I want him to avoid the ManU circus, it's better than Lille. So if it came down to that or staying, he should go.