Jonathan David

Vince193

With all due respect, David needs to finish the season with a few goals to his name. It’s getting embarrassing. If I’m a top club like Liverpool or Inter, or a mediocre club like Arsenal (at best, let’s be honest. Totally shit club😉) I would not be shelling out close to 50 mill for a player with 1 goal in 5 months. 

David is class and quality, but the second that deal goes through, unless he has shown some recent quality there will be crazy pressure on him to perform out of the gates again. And given his track record and incredible inconsistencies, he does not need the added pressure. 
For his sake, I hope Lille settle for 40mîll and he goes to a team with a 2 striker system. Don’t really care about how big the club is, but with a World Cup year the players form and output have to be top priority. Put him somewhere he’ll be comfortable with playing style wise and then only has to worry about the new club/city transition. 

17 minutes ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

With all due respect, David needs to finish the season with a few goals to his name. It’s getting embarrassing. If I’m a top club like Liverpool or Inter, or a mediocre club like Arsenal (at best, let’s be honest. Totally shit club😉) I would not be shelling out close to 50 mill for a player with 1 goal in 5 months. 

David is class and quality, but the second that deal goes through, unless he has shown some recent quality there will be crazy pressure on him to perform out of the gates again. And given his track record and incredible inconsistencies, he does not need the added pressure. 
For his sake, I hope Lille settle for 40mîll and he goes to a team with a 2 striker system. Don’t really care about how big the club is, but with a World Cup year the players form and output have to be top priority. Put him somewhere he’ll be comfortable with playing style wise and then only has to worry about the new club/city transition. 

Agreed - how do you think those huge droughts he has had each of the last two years will play out if some EPL team pays $50M+ for him. He’s going to get slaughtered by the fans and they’re not going to give him months to figure it out.   

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I don't think people realize how lazy scouting can be sometimes in this sport. Even at the highest levels.

They will see 17 goals and former Ligue 1 winner and ignore the drought.

Those highlight reel goals for Canada back in January help his case too. 

They are still talking about him on West Ham boards, partially for you reasons you mention. 

I don't think he is the right fit for West Ham as a striker, at least - he would get bullied in the Antonio role* but I think a good attacking team at plays with more than one striker at a Europa League level or above is a good move. 

* Would love to have him in hole behind and help running the break.

Arsenal I think is a good move, but that is possibly because they are one of the least offensive of the bigger English teams to me. With the fanbase they have and the decent amount of money, they will sort things soon, I think.  Would still hate to cheer against him a couple times a year at least. 

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

They are still talking about him on West Ham boards, partially for you reasons you mention. 

I don't think he is the right fit for West Ham as a striker, at least - he would get bullied in the Antonio role* but I think a good attacking team at plays with more than one striker at a Europa League level or above is a good move. 

* Would love to have him in hole behind and help running the break.

Arsenal I think is a good move, but that is possibly because they are one of the least offensive of the bigger English teams to me. With the fanbase they have and the decent amount of money, they will sort things soon, I think.  Would still hate to cheer against him a couple times a year at least. 

I wonder if West Ham win the Europa League and get a Champions League spot if they get in on the David transfer sweepstakes.

Not sure why my earlier comment got deleted but I'll try again.

It's odd how badly Lille fell apart in the last 3 months. They were doing pretty well before that - out of the Group Stages of Champions League & 6th in the league table. But they have totally collapsed since then. Have to assume they will sell everyone this summer with value like David, Botman and Sanches

David has same amount of goals as last season at 13 and actually has a slightly worse non penalty xG + xA per 90 than last season. 

Edited by Floortom

On the highlights of Ugbo's goal you can see David pointing to the right to tell the keeper to dive in that direction, but Ugbo goes straight down the middle.

Right after the goal, Troyes come down and get another chance to score and its David - their #9 - making the clearance as he helps out in his own 6 yard box, which probably sums up why he's not scoring for this team lately if he's having to come back to his own 6 yard box to help defend.

12 hours ago, VinceA said:

David and the rest of Lille are checked out. The manager has lost that dressing room with his black hole tactics.

Anyone left who "is playing" is playing to put themselves in the shop window.  There is always some of that every year in every team if you follow my meaning, but it doesn't always work as intended does it?

My sympathies to Lille supports.  It isn't an easy life sometimes investing yourself into these things.  

On 5/2/2022 at 12:03 AM, Cheeta said:

Anyone left who "is playing" is playing to put themselves in the shop window.  There is always some of that every year in every team if you follow my meaning, but it doesn't always work as intended does it?

My sympathies to Lille supports.  It isn't an easy life sometimes investing yourself into these things.  

I'm a Leafs fan it's okay I know what torture feels like. At least Lille won a title recently.