Jonathan David

Vince193

2 hours ago, footballfreak said:

I’m a bit late with this, but I finally updated my spreadsheet with the players minutes. Low and behold, David ended up leading the team in Ocho minutes played. He played a remarkable 85% of all available minutes. If you include the preliminary rounds, only Alistair Johnston played more in World Cup qualifying than JD. Absolute warrior.

Top 5 (Ocho)

1. Jonathan David   85.2% (1073) 

2. Alistair Johnston 80.6% (1015)

3. Tajon Johnston 79.4% (1000)

4. Richie Laryea 78.0% (983)

5. Stephen Eustaquio 76.2% (961)

Big fan of Tajon Johnston 

40 minutes ago, costarg said:

You guys hear about Ben Arfa?  He's been suspended by Lille for complaining about the system and lack of balls coming to the forwards!  Supporters seem to be backing him up and complaining as well.  He had some pretty harsh, yet truthful words about the system and coaching.

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2022/hatem-ben-arfa-expelled-from-lille-squad-after-altercation-with-coach/

"We’re playing too deep here. We’re not playing like a team that’s challenging for Europe. This isn’t Guingamp!”

1 hour ago, costarg said:

You guys hear about Ben Arfa?  He's been suspended by Lille for complaining about the system and lack of balls coming to the forwards!  Supporters seem to be backing him up and complaining as well.  He had some pretty harsh, yet truthful words about the system and coaching.

Pretty obviously true for anyone who watches them, including most people on this board. Gourvennec's attack is absolutely toothless and without an ounce of inspiration. Incredibly frustrating to watch from a Jonathan David fan's perspective. Not sure what Lille were expecting though, it was an unambitious hire and they're reaping their paltry harvest for it now.

Can’t wait for the transfer rumours to start again. Should be a fun summer. Think David believes he’s ready for the big jump. 

I hope he goes to the highest level possible where he can be a starter (what ever that is). 

selfishly, I hope it’s the Premier League so it’s easy to watch him.

2 minutes ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

Caught the last 15 of the half. Is it just me or are his teammates TRYING not to pass to him. That was crazy, he ran from side to side on the pitch supporting the ball and didn't even get a touch. 

Hard to score when you barely get the ball.

He has had poor service most of the time at Lille, his teammates seem greedy and/or run with their head down, it makes his goal scoring record that much formidable and makes me wonder how they ever won the title last season!

I didn’t see much of the game but no surprise reading the comments - he didn’t look to be involved in much of what was going on when I was watching.  

As much as his teammates irk me, I do think he has some responsibility to impose himself on the game.  Maybe he was wide open for portions that i didn’t see, but in the parts I saw it wasn’t like he was controlling the play or in such obvious positions to creat chances that his teammates would be forced to find him.  Maybe it is too much to ask, but he may need to make it so obvious that he deserves more of the ball that the manager uses his play to enhance the system - sort of the way Gaultier eventually did last year.  He became a focal point of the attack because he made himself impossible to ignore.   I am not seeing that same kind of impact this year - regardless of whether or not his teammates should be looking for him more.  

13 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I didn’t see much of the game but no surprise reading the comments - he didn’t look to be involved in much of what was going on when I was watching.  

As much as his teammates irk me, I do think he has some responsibility to impose himself on the game.  Maybe he was wide open for portions that i didn’t see, but in the parts I saw it wasn’t like he was controlling the play or in such obvious positions to creat chances that his teammates would be forced to find him.  Maybe it is too much to ask, but he may need to make it so obvious that he deserves more of the ball that the manager uses his play to enhance the system - sort of the way Gaultier eventually did last year.  He became a focal point of the attack because he made himself impossible to ignore.   I am not seeing that same kind of impact this year - regardless of whether or not his teammates should be looking for him more.  

David is extremely dependent on quality service - he’s not a guy that’s going to create chances on his own and if he’s not getting that service he’s going to be relatively invisible most the time. It’s why he’s often had long struggles and droughts with Lille.

you can say most strikers are reliant on service of course, but the highest level ones can make things happen on their own. David isn’t there yet.

After seeing Aubameyang get back to scoring ways after leaving Arsenal and seeing Lacazette completely dry up there, I'm no longer so sure David should go there. It seems to be a bit of a striker graveyard with little in the way of chance creation. We know how David does without proper service and I don't know if Arteta really has a system that he would thrive in. I can't see him going to Liverpool now that he's fallen off the pace a bit. I'm not sure where he'll end up at this point but I really hope he and Lille can finish the season strong so he has options in the summer.

Edited by frmr

On 4/6/2022 at 8:57 PM, Club Linesman said:

I have stopped watching Lille as much as I love David. Can’t take it anymore.  Glad Ben Arfa called them out.  

Me too. Stopped altogether. Waste of time, one of the worst experiences for a fan of the game.

Even last year, when they were winning the league, it was often infectious stuff.