Jonathan David

Vince193

On 3/20/2022 at 5:47 AM, Canuckistan2019 said:

Are you kidding me? He should go for a team that consistently gets to champions league which arsenal haven’t in how many years? I don’t expect them to hold on to 4th. They are mid table side same level as Wolverhampton and west ham. Heck even Leicester has been more of a successful team than arsenal. So yes it’s not a big step up.

FFS! Were you dropped on your head recently?

Having spent a few years living in London, I can attest to the fact that Arsenal is, by far, the best supported club in London. If you take the artificial inflation of Chelsea over the last 20 years by dirty, Russian money out of the equation, I'd rank the London clubs in the following order, by size: Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, West Ham. There's nothing really in it between Fulham, QPR, and Crystal Palace. Charlton, Millwall, Brentford, Leyton Orient, etc are far behind and Watford isn't actually in London.

Arsenal are easily the 3rd best-supported club in England, and has a world-wide supporter base that dwarfs all but a handful of clubs in Europe.

6 hours ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

Is it me or did he disappear after the final whistle? Apart from when he was announced in the guard of honour, I didn't see any interviews or photos/videos of him in the celebration. I know he's the Iceman for a reason but I wouldn't been nice to see him let lose a little

He's on the right of the picture, behind Cava and his daughter, in the drum celebration. He just seems understated, or a bit shy.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He's on the right of the picture, behind Cava and his daughter, in the drum celebration. He just seems understated, or a bit shy.

Definitely the impression I got when speaking to him in the past. Nothing wrong with that.

35 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I wonder if he was doing a lot of interviews post match for RDS, hence why he wasn’t in front of either the Sportsnet/One Soccer or TSN post match interviews. (There are some nice TSN ones on their site including one where Atiba and Julian De Guzman are interviewed at the same time and Stalteri does a fly-by cameo)

I haven't seen any interviews on RDS the site. I don't watch their TV broadcast.

So back to his play.

Had a few long runs dribbling through defenders--we've never seen him do that at Lille, where he gets rid of it first or second touch. But he can do it. He is also deceptively fast, just that heavy butt running style makes it look slower. He can do the tight passing combinations, just needs to work on it more. Even for Canada we have to trust him more as he wants the ball in places maybe teammates don't see, but he does. Same at Lille. 

He closes down defenders and keepers very well, and is so fit, so can do it all game. I hate it when a sub comes on and the guy who has been playing 70 minutes is still closing down the CBs with more intensity than the fresh guy (Cavallini, in this case--but this is a general peeve I have). 

Still is not good in the air, and oddly jumps poorly. I think it may be a bit of his physical make-up. And also missing a bit of back to the CBs work, as a hold up target. I think he should work on these, he doesn't need to be a master but it would improve his game.

12 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Had a few long runs dribbling through defenders--we've never seen him do that at Lille, where he gets rid of it first or second touch. But he can do it. He is also deceptively fast, just that heavy butt running style makes it look slower. He can do the tight passing combinations, just needs to work on it more. Even for Canada we have to trust him more as he wants the ball in places maybe teammates don't see, but he does. Same at Lille.

This was the thing that stood out for me - and that I have seen consistently improving lately (I think it was the CR game where he completely nutmegged the defender and blew by him which took a few people by surprise).  Improving his one-on-one attacking play should lead to a big improvement in his overall play to compliment his existing skillset.

4 minutes ago, johnyb said:

Have to agree, just painfull to watch. I thought with Sanchez returning and being up a man there would be more attacking play, but alas.

Didn't even realize Lille were up a man, which is pretty sad

I was so impressed with David’s play this window. He looked so lively on the ball. Feel like he’s really settled into the role.

Not that most people here really believed it, but remember when the narrative was “David and Larin can’t play together”? 

the play off each other so we’ll now!

6 minutes ago, YorkRegionFan said:

Do you think that Jonathan David can play in the number 10 role?  He was a midfielder before he went to Europe.  

Yes but why would he? He has insane pressing stats and he has good poaching skills. A false nine is his best position imo, where he can he can still press, make runs, finish but also doesn’t need to lead the line like a traditional 9 and can also drop deeper to link up play like a 10 would. He’s sort of a hybrid player and an out and out 9 or 10 doesn’t get the most out of his profile. There’s a reason he’s been linked with teams that employ a 9.5.

I’m a bit late with this, but I finally updated my spreadsheet with the players minutes. Low and behold, David ended up leading the team in Ocho minutes played. He played a remarkable 85% of all available minutes. If you include the preliminary rounds, only Alistair Johnston played more in World Cup qualifying than JD. Absolute warrior.

Top 5 (Ocho)

1. Jonathan David   85.2% (1073) 

2. Alistair Johnston 80.6% (1015)

3. Tajon Buchanan 79.4% (1000)

4. Richie Laryea 78.0% (983)

5. Stephen Eustaquio 76.2% (961)

Edited by footballfreak