Jonathan David

Vince193

24 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Like Gent towards the end of his 2nd season, David has outgrown Lille. For a team that sells their best young players Botman and David are the only young players that have any value right now. Sanches is a bit older but will also be gone. Weah is stagnating as well.

Yeah it is really time for him to move on, Lille simply does not play where his skill set can be used to the maximum level. He now has some Champions League experience and can take that to e better team. Arsenal looks like a great landing space for me if not Liverpool as has been mentioned. 

9 minutes ago, QBCS said:

jayvincent1882 on instagram:
TRANSFER NEWS: Tottenham ready to bid 60 million on Canadian striker Jonathan David

If kane leaves I see this as a possibility, but im sure he wants a CL club.

Arsenal makes more sense for him, especially if they finish top four and play some CL. He could really flourish there. 

Tottenham would be interesting but I agree Arsenal is a more attractive option. Liverpool is the most attractive if those rumours are still true but he would have an uphill battle working his way into that attack. If playing time is a top priority like it was in his move to Lille, I don't think he chooses Liverpool. Arsenal are apparently looking to bring in two strikers and he would have a good chance of getting a good chunk of that playing time. I've heard a lot of Liverpool supporters say he would be the next Origi, which is not to take anything away from Origi because he has achieved cult status with Liverpool, but he does not feature regularly and he hasn't in the majority of his time at the club. That said, I think David has more to his game than Origi does and will have a better career, but you have to be elite to earn playing time for Liverpool and I don't think it's out of the question to suggest that David isn't there yet. I think he can get there by 24-25 but he needs to keep playing constantly to do so. My money's still on Arsenal and I'm strategically developing a soft spot for the Gunners in anticipation of the move.

43 minutes ago, Canuckistan2019 said:

I’m sorry but arsenal are not a big club anymore in my eyes. It wouldn’t be much of a step up from lille. He needs to go to Liverpool, inter Milan etc

I am a big JD fan, but the idea that Arsenal would almost be a lateral move seems a bit silly.  And I say that as someone who roots for Spurs in the EPL.   They are a big London club with a lot of history, a very stable ownership group, a new stadium, and are currently competing for a CL spot. Lille’s season last year was an exceptional one - they will not repeat that feat and likely won’t be in the CL again next year.  Contrast that with the level of competition Arsenal will face in the EPL and possibly the CL and it seems clear to me that it would be a big step forward.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

23 minutes ago, Canuckistan2019 said:

I’m sorry but arsenal are not a big club anymore in my eyes. It wouldn’t be much of a step up from lille. He needs to go to Liverpool, inter Milan etc

This is actually an argument for him going to Arsenal. We need him playing regularly and a smaller step up makes that likely, regardless if that's Arsenal or Tottenham or whatever. 

As an aside, I think the jump from Lille to Inter Milan would be appropriate for David. However, I think Liverpool is a step beyond Inter and I would have worries about his playing time.

33 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am a big JD fan, but the idea that Arsenal would almost be a lateral move seems a bit silly.  And I say that as someone who roots for Spurs in the EPL.   They are a big London club with a lot of history, a very stable ownership group, a new stadium, and are currently competing for a CL spot. Lille’s season last year was an exceptional one - they will not repeat that feat and likely won’t be in the CL again next year.  Contract that with the level of competition Arsenal will face in the EPL and possibly the CL and it seems clear to me that it would be a big step forward.  

Are you kidding me? He should go for a team that consistently gets to champions league which arsenal haven’t in how many years? I don’t expect them to hold on to 4th. They are mid table side same level as Wolverhampton and west ham. Heck even Leicester has been more of a successful team than arsenal. So yes it’s not a big step up.

Just now, Canuckistan2019 said:

Are you kidding me? He should go for a team that consistently gets to champions league which arsenal haven’t in how many years? I don’t expect them to hold on to 4th. They are mid table side same level as Wolverhampton and west ham. Heck even Leicester has been more of a successful team than arsenal. So yes it’s not a big step up.

Sure, but he wouldn’t be joining 2019-2020 Arsenal.  He would be joining this year’s iteration.   And right now they are solidly in the 4th and final CL spot with a game in hand in most of their competition.  

And as much as Champions League is a truly great competition, I don’t think it is the only the driving force behind his decision.  He has been very smart about his series of career moves.  Gent bought him and he worked his way into a starting role and then outgrew them.  He then moved to Lille and started slow but ultimately became their leading scorer.  Another solid step up to a team like Arsenal is very much the kind of move that makes sense IMO. And again, they are on track to play in CL next year.

I think there are lots of things he needs to get better at before he will be an elite striker.  And credit to him. I see improvements in those areas.  Hold up play, taking people on one-on-one, etc - he is getting better.  But I don’t think he is quite at the level where he could grab the starting spot at a team like Liverpool and seamlessly slip into their system.  

47 minutes ago, Canuckistan2019 said:

Arsenal have not been top 4 for 5 years, not a huge a amount of time in my reckoning. They were the 5 years before that. Their lowest finish was 8th, last and the year before.

In that same 10 years, Spurs (*spits) have been top 4 the same amount of times (5).

Leicester once having come up 2 divisions.

Wolves were relegated twice in the last 10 years and have never been top 4 in that time.

West Ham were promoted once and also not been top 4 in the last ten years.

Arsenal still consistently have almost twice the attendance of Leicester and Wolves.

Hard to lump all those together for me.

I would rather he go outside England, though of course I would take him but Arsenal are a good destination.

I would love Arsenal to falter and not get top four in one specific scenario but I think they are odds on to do it.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

36 minutes ago, Canuckistan2019 said:

Sorry but this is an awful take and it sounds like you just started watching football in the last five years. Arsenal are traditionally London's biggest club and one of the biggest in England. They've got history, a massive global fanbase, big stadium, wealthy owners, and are currently in position for a return to Champions League. This is like saying Man United aren't a big club because they haven't been successful in last several years. If you don't think moving to Arsenal would be a big step up in every conceivable way, then I don't know what to tell you.

Edited by frmr

6 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am a big JD fan, but the idea that Arsenal would almost be a lateral move seems a bit silly.  And I say that as someone who roots for Spurs in the EPL.   They are a big London club with a lot of history, a very stable ownership group, a new stadium, and are currently competing for a CL spot. Lille’s season last year was an exceptional one - they will not repeat that feat and likely won’t be in the CL again next year.  Contrast that with the level of competition Arsenal will face in the EPL and possibly the CL and it seems clear to me that it would be a big step forward.  

My only concern with Spurs is Conte.  I haven't followed Spurs much since he's showed up.  is he still the same Conte that was with Juve and Chelsea?  Cause I know that Conte well, and you don't get many chances with him.  It'd suck for David to get the Conte treatment and waste a year or two of his career.  

6 hours ago, Kent said:

No doubt David told Yilmaz to take the penalty so there is one less data point for the Brazilian goalkeeper when we are inevitably in a shoot-out in the semi finals later this year. That's thinking ahead!

I think you meant to say the finals.

On 3/19/2022 at 6:02 PM, Canuckistan2019 said:

Arsenal are the biggest club in London. Not currently the most successful club in London, but by far the biggest. Just walk around London on a weekend and you mostly see people in Arsenal gear. 

5 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Just a quick eye test to see who people support. 

I was just kidding about style choices, since you could always argue that a Spurs or Chelsea fan does not mind actually wearing a nice shirt and trousers.

In Barcelona, or Madrid for that matter, you do not see a lot of people with team shirts on. Just teens, some university students, and especially tourists --like the tourists who went to Madrid first, and have the Real shirt on when they arrive, then change it for a Barça shirt 2 days in. 

I think this is a bit like betting lines: fact is, in certain parts of the world, and certain fan bases, they bet more. And these are the same guys who argue about who is favourite, only because they are throwing money at a team that their rivals are using for, say, a proper wardrobe.

We are still hoping to see West Ham at Camp Nou so you better get through your quarter final!

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

7 hours ago, Sal333 said:

I think you meant to say the finals.

No. The semi final is when the world realizes that we really are for real, and we for the first time are the favourite to win a game when we reach the finals. We stroll through that one easily without the need for a shoot out. I thought this was all obvious.