Jonathan David

Vince193

2 hours ago, Bdog said:

He did everything in that play, wow. Hustle to win the call back, good hold up, great passing combination, and good finish. 

This is the sort of effort, skill, and finish that will only help his chances of making a big move this summer. He is rounding out his game! The ceiling is still high for him, I feel.

38 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

This is the sort of effort, skill, and finish that will only help his chances of making a big move this summer. He is rounding out his game! The ceiling is still high for him, I feel.

It’s easy to forget how young David is still and how much he can still develop his game over the next few years. Exciting prospect for him, us fans, and anyone who steps up and buys him this summer. 

If Arsenal continues t play the same system he JD is the most obvious replacement for Lacazette. They are playing balls to the feet for hold up which David could do as well. The argument is can DAvid finish better than Lacazette who has done well with hold up and assisting but not with finishing

What gets me there is Aaronson. I mean, I like him, vs us in Hamilton I was relieved when they subbed him off. But that much running? Really? All it denotes is inefficiency, if players as effective and more are running 15% less. 

Brenden, if you are impressed by all those sprints and fillers, we are happy for you. But a good player also should know that if the ball is running right, if you are in position, if your role is defined and if your team is working as a team, you don't need those extra km.

Fine, he's young, he'll learn. David might find reducing km won't hurt his game either, he often comes back too much when he has no strike partner playing higher up, letting rival CBs off the hook.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

20 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

What gets me there is Aaronson. I mean, I like him, vs us in Hamilton I was relieved when they subbed him off. But that much running? Really? All it denotes is inefficiency, if players as effective and more are running 15% less. 

Brenden, if you are impressed by all those sprints and fillers, we are happy for you. But a good player also should know that if the ball is running right, if you are in position, if your role is defined and if your team is working as a team, you don't need those extra km.

Fine, he's young, he'll learn. David might find reducing km won't hurt his game either, he often comes back too much when he has no strike partner playing higher up, letting rival CBs off the hook.

There are three RB Salzburg players on that list. That's no coincidence.

3 hours ago, RS said:

There are three RB Salzburg players on that list. That's no coincidence.

Point stands though.  You can still save the quality in your legs without being accused of shirking. 

But wow, that's something.   

1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

Point stands though.  You can still save the quality in your legs without being accused of shirking. 

But wow, that's something.   

High press, constant movement. It’s the Red Bull ethos across all their clubs.

9 hours ago, RS said:

High press, constant movement. It’s the Red Bull ethos across all their clubs.

Hi press, constant movement, but if the press is effective you have the ball on your feet, you are not chasing it anymore--and then the old Cruyff adage: let the ball run so you don't have to. 

Simply question: do teams run more with the ball or without it? A mid does a long change of direction to the opposite back or winger, and the entire rival team does far more running to compensate than the attacking team. 

At Barça one of those who ran the most was Frenkie de Jong, but he has struggled and some even wondered about selling him. Becauuse he was ineffective and in fact, for all those km, not influential in games. Now he's been reigned in by Xavi, runs less, is positioned better, and is more incisive. It shows.

I appreciate that David is very fit and can run for 90 minutes. But he's on a team that does a poor job keeping possession, is very wasteful, so much so it becomes unbearable to watch. Even last year when the won the league. Running far more than really would have to if they wouldn't squander the ball.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Hi press, constant movement, but if the press is effective you have the ball on your feet, you are not chasing it anymore--and then the old Cruyff adage: let the ball run so you don't have to. 

Simply question: do teams run more with the ball or without it? A mid does a long change of direction to the opposite back or winger, and the entire rival team does far more running to compensate than the attacking team. 

At Barça one of those who ran the most was Frenkie de Jong, but he has struggled and some even wondered about selling him. Becauuse he was ineffective and in fact, for all those km, not influential in games. Now he's been reigned in by Xavi, runs less, is positioned better, and is more incisive. It shows.

I appreciate that David is very fit and can run for 90 minutes. But he's on a team that does a poor job keeping possession, is very wasteful, so much so it becomes unbearable to watch. Even last year when the won the league. Running far more than really would have to if they wouldn't squander the ball.

I just looked (very) quickly at Bundesliga clubs as the Bundesliga site tracks distance covered by team. The lowest team averages ~111km per match and highest team ~116km. I don't know if that's a real difference -- works out to about 500m more per player (not counting keepers).

Bayern are near the top in distance run. Interestingly, RB Leipzig are near the bottom at around 112km.

3 hours ago, El Diego said:

I just looked (very) quickly at Bundesliga clubs as the Bundesliga site tracks distance covered by team. The lowest team averages ~111km per match and highest team ~116km. I don't know if that's a real difference -- works out to about 500m more per player (not counting keepers).

Bayern are near the top in distance run. Interestingly, RB Leipzig are near the bottom at around 112km.

This last Champions League group stage, Barça averaged 117km a match, which sounds high then, higher than any Bundesliga club in the league. 55% possession, which sounds good. Passing accuracy, almost 90%. Worst group stage since last century. 

So the stats can impress, but effectivity is another story.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This last Champions League group stage, Barça averaged 117km a match, which sounds high then, higher than any Bundesliga club in the league. 55% possession, which sounds good. Passing accuracy, almost 90%. Worst group stage since last century. 

So the stats can impress, but effectivity is another story.

I'd be interested to see if there is any real correlation or research, I haven't looked it up yet to see if anyone has actually checked it out. I would guess that distance covered doesn't have much meaning on its own.

52 minutes ago, maccaliam said:

Short article on a possible transfer move to Arsenal this summer:

https://www.football365.com/news/arsenal-facing-strong-premier-league-competition-sign-david

I was against this when Auba was still there. But watching them with Laca now. I actually think it could be a good fit. We are finally scoring open play goals the likes of which we have not done with consistency for many years.

8 hours ago, Wingback6 said:

I was against this when Auba was still there. But watching them with Laca now. I actually think it could be a good fit. We are finally scoring open play goals the likes of which we have not done with consistency for many years.

I could see David being a step up from Lacazette. They are similar in that they play well off others, which is obviously the current approach for Laca at Arsenal. But David is faster, lasts longer on the pitch and is definitely a step up on Laca in scoring. In this sense, I agree that it could be a good fit. Arsenal also need a plan B striker with different skill set but that should not affect them being able to benefit from David and vice-versa. I also like that David would be playing with other young, talented, team-oriented players like Saka, ESR and Odegaard. Now that would be a step up from the situation at Lille.

3 hours ago, Floortom said:

Everytime I go on an Arsenal forum and read what they want in their new striker it’s very different than what David offers. I don’t watch them enough to say what they need but that concerns me. 

A lot of them want a striker with heading ability and are leaning towards benfica darwin Nunez. I’m hoping he doesn’t go to arsenal as well since their fans are beyond delusional and expect a Haaland type of striker. He needs to go inter Milan imo

A lot of Arsenal fans are calling out for Patrik Schick, more of a true number 9/target type of striker. Honestly, I think David would fit in nicely at Arsenal in more of that 9.5 role. Apparently they're looking at bringing in two strikers in the summer as well with different profiles, so that could make sense that David could be one of those, more in the mold of a Laca replacement, with the other being the target type that they don't currently have. I don't think it's out of the question that David could fulfill that sole striker role either, though it may take some time, which may not be afforded at a club like Arsenal.