Jonathan David

Vince193

Really thought they were done after those first few chances and then the goal, but they looked better when they started being proactive and pressing. Still not getting enough penetration in and behind and sustained passing around the box. Lille just have too many hero ballers and always take a second too long or need to take an extra touch... Bamba (Onana?) received a ball over the top and could have played it first-time across the box to David but he took another touch and got closed down by Chelsea.

34 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

David's been pretty good given what he's had to work with. Too bad there isn't a player to link between Sanches and him he's making good runs and holding up the ball well. Needs to be stronger on the ball though he always goes down a bit too easily.

He's protected the ball in tight areas of the pitch and won free kicks to allow his team to advance up the pitch. Riding those challenges and staying on his feet in those situations would've been detrimental to his team.

1 minute ago, SthMelbRed said:

He's protected the ball in tight areas of the pitch and won free kicks to allow his team to advance up the pitch. Riding those challenges and staying on his feet in those situations would've been detrimental to his team.

I agree that he has done a good job at holding up the ball, but there were at least 3 times in the first half were David went down rather easily outside the 18 and didn't get the calls.

7 minutes ago, El Diego said:

David is really bad at selling fouls

He wins the foul more often than not. I think it's just a part of his game he has leaned on more heavily with Lille especially when his teammates aren't in a position for the ball. He just falls when he knows he's going to lose it anyway and he had to do it a lot today 

All things considered, OK performance from Jo. He had a couple halfish-chances, held the ball up decently and drew plenty of fouls. His body positioning and anticipation seem much better nowadays. His pressing also noticeable. 

Of course we wanted more from Jo today but he had a tough task as an isolated striker against one of the best defenders of this generation in Thiago Silva. Thought Jo played a fairly clean game all things considered. 

Lille still frustrating as ever to watch. So disjointed. Sanches was impactful and tried to make a difference. Andre is generally reliable but has his limitations. I've never really rated Xeka, he doesn't offer much (and can't believe he didn't tactically foul Kante that led up to the 2nd Chelsea goal). Bamba has good feet and flair but so inefficient with his decision-making. He is constantly out of sync with others and certainly with Jo. Many hurried passes or no passes at all. Looks good on a highlight reel video but that's about it. I imagine analytics and advanced scouting see that and a team like Lille is his ceiling as a footballer. 

Looking forward to seeing what Jo can accomplish at the next level. He's outgrown Lille and it's time to move on.

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

I reckon he won a half dozen free kicks today. 

SofaScore says he won three, but I don't know how useful a simple raw number is tbf.

1 hour ago, JuicyHam said:

He wins the foul more often than not. I think it's just a part of his game he has leaned on more heavily with Lille especially when his teammates aren't in a position for the ball. He just falls when he knows he's going to lose it anyway and he had to do it a lot today 

First bolded part I don't think is true, also not sure how we can measure that. Second bolded part I agree happens a lot with him, but I believe he can do a better job of either 1. keeping the ball or 2. selling a foul better. Often times it seems like when he goes down looking for a foul it is obviously not a foul.

So according to some genius analysts here, that pretty well killed off David's transfer chances😇

Lille played like a solid mid to low table club, and the result wasn't embarrassing. Lille stayed in the game after going behind, tried to push back, Chelsea gave them possession which is odd since in France they can't keep it. On defense they were always late tracking back to cover on the wings (problem of asking Bamba and Sanches to also push up in attack), and they were often outnumbered when Chelsea wanted to stretch the field. Both goals you could argue were poor clearing or poor coverage, though probably that first Havertz chance was the best of all.

David was fairly alone but he did have a long shot and a few moments he could have done more. He does not jump for headers, it's like a disability. There is no connection with other attackers this year. 

Agreed as said by others, if Lille played like that and were tighter at the back, they'd be doing much better in L1. And maybe with some other goal-scoring options. They have a great stadium and intense fans but don't seem to respond that well at home regardless, so I don't think Chelsea will have any stage fright there, it is an oddly unintimidating stadium. So I don't expect anything better than a draw for them in the return leg.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So according to some genius analysts here, that pretty well killed off David's transfer chances😇

Lille played like a solid mid to low table club, and the result wasn't embarrassing. Lille stayed in the game after going behind, tried to push back, Chelsea gave them possession which is odd since in France they can't keep it. On defense they were always late tracking back to cover on the wings (problem of asking Bamba and Sanches to also push up in attack), and they were often outnumbered when Chelsea wanted to stretch the field. Both goals you could argue were poor clearing or poor coverage, though probably that first Havertz chance was the best of all.

David was fairly alone but he did have a long shot and a few moments he could have done more. He does not jump for headers, it's like a disability. There is no connection with other attackers this year. 

Agreed as said by others, if Lille played like that and were tighter at the back, they'd be doing much better in L1. And maybe with some other goal-scoring options. They have a great stadium and intense fans but don't seem to respond that well at home regardless, so I don't think Chelsea will have any stage fright there, it is an oddly unintimidating stadium. So I don't expect anything better than a draw for them in the return leg.

To Chelsea? Or to any team? 

23 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

All teams, that was his biggest stage ever and he did not meet expectations. He's doomed.

I don't know you @QBCS, so sorry, I'm just mocking those overstating the importance of that one match.

How was anyone overstating the importance of the match? We were saying it was his biggest stage yet, which it clearly was, despite your bizarre attempt at saying otherwise. Also, no one is even remotely close to saying his performance will affect a future transfer. He was mostly isolated, but looked lively and looked after the ball well enough. You have your own little narrative going in this thread that no one else is participating in.

13 hours ago, frmr said:

How was anyone overstating the importance of the match? We were saying it was his biggest stage yet, which it clearly was, despite your bizarre attempt at saying otherwise. Also, no one is even remotely close to saying his performance will affect a future transfer. He was mostly isolated, but looked lively and looked after the ball well enough. You have your own little narrative going in this thread that no one else is participating in.

Only you and your little brother in awe of the former Gazprom team thought it was his biggest match, talk about arguing yourself into fantasy island while never leaving your desk. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Only you and your little brother in awe of the former Gazprom team thought it was his biggest match, talk about arguing yourself into fantasy island while never leaving your desk. 

There was a time when I thought you were an intelligent poster.

I wonder if Liverpool have dropped out now that they bought Diaz and are all but guaranteed to buy Carvalho in the summer. David to Newcastle would be a strange one. He seems to be pretty good friends with Botman who seems destined for a move there. Of those, I would prefer Arsenal. If they can manage not to bottle it, they're sitting pole position for the last Champions League spot and they seem keen on David.