Jonathan David

Vince193

3 hours ago, Floortom said:

That was the best I’ve seen JD in a Canadian shirt in a match he didn’t score. He was amazing otherwise 

He was so much more involved than usual, and helped cover defensively at times when others were pushed up. Definitely what you love to see from him out there.

With our midfield depleted, I wonder if he could play the 10 in the midfield behind the striker(s) which could be 1 or 2 of Larin, Ugbo and/or Cavallini next game.  Or perhaps he comes on there in the last 30 minutes or so as he has done alot of running the last two matches so might not start.  He played there for Gent I believe.

7 hours ago, An Observer said:

With our midfield depleted, I wonder if he could play the 10 in the midfield behind the striker(s) which could be 1 or 2 of Larin, Ugbo and/or Cavallini next game.  Or perhaps he comes on there in the last 30 minutes or so as he has done alot of running the last two matches so might not start.  He played there for Gent I believe.

That's funny because before the game I was watching an interview with his high school soccer coach in Ottawa and he said that Johnny never played striker for them. He was - get this - a midfielder.

Edited by Sal333

The David you saw in the US game was more the Gent David than Lille David.  In attack, manager Jess Thorup used a 4-4-2 diamond with David at the point, playing behind two quality strikers, Yaremchuk and Depoitre and his linkup play was fantastic. Also, a lot of his goals for Gent were from later runs into the box, finding the space created by the forwards.  For comparison, I'd rank Yaremchuk over Larin and when he was in form, Depoitre was probably no worse than Larin and certainly above someone like Cavalinni.  Game in and game out, David ran the most km's of all the Gent players, and there were a lot of lung bursting recovery runs like the one's we saw yesterday when Gent lost possession. 

7 minutes ago, canadasoccer20 said:

How many players can do what he just did? 3rd game in less than a week after starting all 3 games and just pull that off? Absolutely world class and every top team in Europe will be after him this summer. Not just the rumoured teams right now.. trust me.

All the top teams are currently rumoured to be after him.

1 minute ago, Cblake said:

Do not quite understand that since they own the rights, Wheels and Terry called the game. A little weird if you ask me, 

It's on multiple tweets from last night. Not sure.. the above forum post might make the most sense

Edited by Hawkguy

For me, David grew up in this window. This may be a weird mishmash of body language and projection and a bunch of other stuff, but with Canada, at least, despite all of his goals David seemed like a player that preferred to stay just out of the spotlight. It seems crazy to say of a 70 million Euro player, but I believe it's true. Easy enough to do when sharing the field with someone with the talent and charisma of Davies, the leadership of Borjan, or on field maestros like Eustaquio and Hutchinson. In this window, and especially against the USA (without Hutch, Staq or Davies), David seemed to want to be in the middle of everything. He recognized how big the moment was and that he was the man to meet it. In each match and especially the last 2 you'd see him dropping into midfield to pull the strings, yet he was still the one to finish the job. You can see how comfortable he is in his celebrations.

TL:DR What a f'n player.

12 minutes ago, jonovision said:

For me, David grew up in this window. This may be a weird mishmash of body language and projection and a bunch of other stuff, but with Canada, at least, despite all of his goals David seemed like a player that preferred to stay just out of the spotlight. It seems crazy to say of a 70 million Euro player, but I believe it's true. Easy enough to do when sharing the field with someone with the talent and charisma of Davies, the leadership of Borjan, or on field maestros like Eustaquio and Hutchinson. In this window, and especially against the USA (without Hutch, Staq or Davies), David seemed to want to be in the middle of everything. He recognized how big the moment was and that he was the man to meet it. In each match and especially the last 2 you'd see him dropping into midfield to pull the strings, yet he was still the one to finish the job. You can see how comfortable he is in his celebrations.

Bingo. Noticeably more confident, more physical. Always talented but my fear is that he could really get thrown off his game. 

59 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I think Wheeler alluded to Yilmaz helping to teach him this this during the El Salvador game, but you can tell he's hit that point where everything is slowing down for him and he's taking the game at his pace. It was incredible to watch