Jonathan David

Vince193

7 minutes ago, Ruud said:

Reminded me of when Dwight Yorke burned us in Edmonton.  Quality players except now on our team.  

I thought of this goal too when I thought of the big players having those moments to make a difference. 

I don’t recall every detail but the amazing over the shoulder control also brings back a memory of Harry Kewell at Leeds scoring Vs arsenal (maybe 2001 or 2002?) with an unbelievable chest control on the run and fabulous finish. I just remember thinking how amazing taking a ball down on your chest almost from over your shoulder while at full speed like that was incredible. And that’s what David’s goal made me think too.

I hope in the upcoming years I will remember David’s goal in order to relate it to another beauty scored by a Canadian too. So exciting to be a Canadian soccer fan right now!

Edited by maccaliam
Spelling

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

"....This finish is ridiculous from David. Playing at such a high level and not really arguable……the best forward in CONCACA..."

That quote is from a former American international. Unlike most of us in this site he is not biased.

Edited by Sal333

2 hours ago, zeelaw said:

I don't think I've seen three perfect touches in a row from a Canadian player in my life.  Such a difficult pass to take in stride and keep in front of two defenders...

All of them are great but that first touch is crazy.  He is at almost a full sprint, the ball is coming pretty much from directly behind him, he twists his body to take it off his chest in a way that both keeps it close and still keeps the play move pretty much directly towards the goal.  That is a ridiculous skill.  

3 hours ago, narduch said:

Thanks for the reminder of what a 10-ply prick Taylor is.  I forget the specific player, but I once responded on twitter to something he said bashing a Canadian player, or perhaps it was him saying an American player was better. Anyways, something to that effect.  I didn't curse, I didn't throw in any cheap shots at him, nothing like that.  Just pushed back on what he said.  I guess that was enough for him to block me.  

Celebration analysis time:

The "salute" celebration is something Arfield has been doing for years.

When David and Arfield really began playing together in the 2019 Gold Cup, David (and a few others) joined Arfield in the salute. Now David made it his own. This is where I first noticed them doing it together (2m34s):

See! Arfield left behind a legacy after all :)

10 hours ago, Senorpopps said:

100 percent this is a troll 

Okay everyone stay calm. My mistake for not leaning to the sarcasm more.

For the record, a troll post would be more like:

“Jonathan David is a poor man’s Tim Weah” or “If Jonathan David keeps developing maybe he could be a top 5 league striker some day”

but also Occéan was blessed with godlike talents and would dominate global football in today’s game 

EDIT: But you will see me trolling on Twitter right now. Co-opting support for the trucker convoy as support for the national team. So I’m no angel 

Edited by Yoginess

8 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

All of them are great but that first touch is crazy.  He is at almost a full sprint, the ball is coming pretty much from directly behind him, he twists his body to take it off his chest in a way that both keeps it close and still keeps the play move pretty much directly towards the goal.  That is a ridiculous skill.  

People who've never tried to control a ball like that at top speed have no idea the degree of difficulty. Absolutely ridiculous touch.

13 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

Okay everyone stay calm. My mistake for not leaning to the sarcasm more.

For the record, a troll post would be more like:

“Jonathan David is a poor man’s Tim Weah” or “If Jonathan David keeps developing maybe he could be a top 5 league striker some day”

but also Occéan was blessed with godlike talents and would dominate global football in today’s game 

EDIT: But you will see me trolling on Twitter right now. Co-opting support for the trucker convoy as support for the national team. So I’m no angel 

Remember when David first joined Lille and Americans were acting as if both were the same caliber of player? Now David is destined to leave this summer for greener pastures, while Weah still hasn't locked down a starting place.

This is with all due respect to Weah, I like his game a lot and to be fair he connects with David better than Bamba or Ikone ever did, but it's just another data point that Americans underrate us.

Even now they some of them are talking as if a loss would be a terrible result.

Fortunately such takes are becoming less common and we are getting some much due respect, but I would really like a win this weekend to firm up our standing in concacaf.

I agree with those who think this game can go either way, but we are the home team and first in the standings and as such I think we are right to say this loss would be worse result for Canada than the USA. 

Edited by Obinna