Jonathan David

Vince193

Given the recent discussion surrounding his next destination,   I am not sure either where he fits in the grand scheme of things.   Is he Penske material (i.e.:  Arsenal, RM, Liverpool, Inter, Barca...etc) or not.   I dont know but i hope so and i would like to believe so.  

What I do know and believe is that: with Davies absent and an upcoming home match versus the US,  this will clear up the picture a bit and be the perfect opportunity to tell us if he is Penske or not.  If he, takes the bull by the horn and puts his stamp on the game and outcome against one of teh stronger sides in Concacaf (US), that might be enough to convince us.    There are ppl here here who believe that 32 yr old  Mikail Antonio is the best striker in Concacaf and he plays at West Ham, a mid table EPL club.  He (Antonio) also has a mediocre career scoring numbers.   Therefore if David is not the best fwd in Concacaf, then how can someone make the case that he belongs in the Penske club?   

Edited by Free kick

5 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

You realize your second sentence contradicts your first. Come to think of it, your first sentence contradicts itself.

Also, how the hell am I suppose to know who the fuck you blocked? Did you send a memo to everyone on this board but me?

You agreed that David should not sign with a mid-table club and added especially not one that is bankrupt.

Which shows you have no idea what you are posting about.

Barcelona is the only club ever, since they began, to qualify yearly for European competition, like I said. I think its last mid-table season was in 1941-42.

And it is still, in spite of high debt and some nasty rescheduling, amongs the most valuable clubs in the world. The last Forbes report had us as the single most valuable, with the highest assets. Post Messi that has likely dropped.

Both of those facts are very good reasons why David might want to sign for Barça. But I am fine even if David stays another season at Lille, for the continuity of play going into Qatar, and transfers out next winter, after the WC.

44 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I never said he wasn't a "world-class striker", because that is meaningless. 

Unless folks are arguing that it is logical for Norway, a nation with one of the only world-class strikers, to not be going to Qatar. Haaland has not made a difference for his nation, which happens to have some other good players. Ibra, in contrast, was definitive player for his nation on many occasions and they still could qualify.

England is IMO a top 5-6 team in the world right now (only say this as once you get to a WC quarter finals it is all pretty even) but I am not sure exactly which of the players is hands down "world-class". You don't need such players, you need players that work for you. 

The baseline for the average swedish footballer is way above Norway's baseline. The other players make a huge difference!

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I am talking about Barça, BTW, the only team in Europe to always qualify for European competition since they were started in the late 50s

Real question because this kind of stuff interests me. Obviously I know about the current European competitions, and I know the European Cup/Champions League started in the 50's, the UEFA Cup started in the 70's. Barcelona wasn't in the first several European Cups (first appears to be 1959-60, and they weren't in 1961-62), so what was the European competition(s) they were involved in when they weren't in the European Cup, before the UEFA Cup began?

41 minutes ago, Kent said:

Real question because this kind of stuff interests me. Obviously I know about the current European competitions, and I know the European Cup/Champions League started in the 50's, the UEFA Cup started in the 70's. Barcelona wasn't in the first several European Cups (first appears to be 1959-60, and they weren't in 1961-62), so what was the European competition(s) they were involved in when they weren't in the European Cup, before the UEFA Cup began?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Barcelona_in_international_football

The Inter-Cities Fairs Cup was replaced by the UEFA Cup in the early 70s. There was also the Cup Winners. 

I appreciate younger fans don't have any connection to these competitions but I recall us winning the Cup Winners in '89, I had worked late out of town, and driving back into Barcelona it was like the Wacky Races, thousands of cars and motorcyles pouring into the city to celebrate. If folks don't know about it, I recommend the winning goal for Zaragoza in 95, it was one of the greatest winning goals in a final ever, former Spur Nayim from midfield against Arsenal. Listen to this commentator....

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

5 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

IMO world class means the player could slot in to any team in the world and arguably make them better. So for example Davies is a world class left back, Navas was a world class keeper but is now probably in the tier under that. World class strikers would be Benzema, Haaland, Lewandowski and Mbappe.

Great definition.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Barcelona_in_international_football

The Inter-Cities Fairs Cup was replaced by the UEFA Cup in the early 70s. There was also the Cup Winners. 

I appreciate younger fans don't have any connection to these competitions but I recall us winning the Cup Winners in '89, I had worked late out of town, and driving back into Barcelona it was like the Wacky Races, thousands of cars and motorcyles pouring into the city to celebrate. If folks don't know about it, I recommend the winning goal for Zaragoza in 95, it was one of the greatest winning goals in a final ever, former Spur Nayim from midfield against Arsenal. Listen to this commentator....

Right, I felt like I was forgetting something. I have heard of the Cup Winners Cup, but have never really known anything about it beyond it's existence. I had never heard of the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup. I'll look over this stuff more when I've got more time to dig into it. Impressive record as well for Barcelona to be in European competition so regularly. The guy who called them mid-table was clearly just trying to get a rise out of you.

11 hours ago, Senorpopps said:

I am going to offend a few people here and say David is not a world class player - he would not be good enough for Barcelona. He's got great instinct for position, is athletic and can finish, but his technical ability is no where close to Haaland and Vlahovic. He rarely ever scores phenomenal goals and instead relies on being fed in the right position and having a good ability to finish. I doubt he will be given the same amount of space in the top 4 leagues as he is given in Ligue 1, meaning he'll have to rely on a technical ability inferior to many other strikers (like Haaland, Mbappe, Vlahovic etc). TBH a mid-high table Spanish Team (think 6-10) is most appropriate for him at this point. But that's my two cents ... 

#freezingcoldtakes

I feel like i need to pinch my self when i realise we have a player like David and Davies. And both are just 21ish......

Like fucking wow

My kids will only now of Canada as a CONCACAF power.....makes me want to cry😝                                                     and the best thing is thay I am not the only one here who feels the same. 

Edited by Vasi

3 minutes ago, Senorpopps said:

I still defend what I say. He is not great 1 vs 1 and scuffed several goal scoring opportunities before scoring a goal because of his intelligent running.

Just because someone is not good 1v1, does not necessarily mean they lack technical ability. There are different profiles of attacking players and taking players 1v1 is more of a wide player attribute anyways. David is very good at the things that a 9 should be good at. And you got your "phenomenal goal" that you were saying he never scores.

Edited by frmr

6 hours ago, GasPed said:

Question:  Was Jonny's goal celebration a tribute to Arfield?  If so, that would really be a touch of class.

I'd really like to no more about this.  Phonzie made reference to it during his livestream too.

What's interesting about David is that, yeah sure, he scores goals, but he's also all in for the team.  I think it was after a corner in the first half and Honduras was breaking with numbers and he launched into a gut-busting run to get back.  I love it when strikers do that stuff.