Jonathan David

Vince193

CONCACAF hasn't done well in the world cups in a long time.  The only way we are going to get respect is to start going far in those competitions.  You can also add playing with flair rather than gutting out wins.  I have a feeling that the recent changes to the region's competitions will raise the level overall in our conference, and help us start on the long road to earning that respect from the rest of the world.  I know that improvements in the USA and our team have hurt Mexico's ranking recently, but I expect that this new competition will push Mexico to be better in the long run (something that they haven't needed to do in a long time).  I'm hoping that we won't be the Rodney Dangerfield's of the soccer world anymore after the 2026 world cup.

23 minutes ago, rkomar said:

CONCACAF hasn't done well in the world cups in a long time.  The only way we are going to get respect is to start going far in those competitions.  You can also add playing with flair rather than gutting out wins.  I have a feeling that the recent changes to the region's competitions will raise the level overall in our conference, and help us start on the long road to earning that respect from the rest of the world.  I know that improvements in the USA and our team have hurt Mexico's ranking recently, but I expect that this new competition will push Mexico to be better in the long run (something that they haven't needed to do in a long time).  I'm hoping that we won't be the Rodney Dangerfield's of the soccer world anymore after the 2026 world cup.

I went through the results once, and CONCACAF has done worse than UEFA and Conmebol at WC finals (I think the metric I used was % of qualified teams advancing from the group stage) but better than Asia and Africa.

On 12/23/2021 at 9:29 AM, Floortom said:

I would have thought that David would be somewhere between Yilmaz and Vlahovic. So in the 60-80 range. To be fair, having two players from Lille would have been a bit strange

They did win a top 5 league!  Atletico Madrid inter Bayern city all well represented!  

I would have thought that David would be somewhere between Yilmaz and Vlahovic. So in the 60-80 range. To be fair, having two players from Lille would have been a bit strange

They did win a top 5 league!  Atletico Madrid inter Bayern city all well represented!  

They did win a top 5 league!  Atletico Madrid inter Bayern city all well represented!!

They did win a top 5 league!  Atletico Madrid inter Bayern city all well represented!!

6 hours ago, jonovision said:

I went through the results once, and CONCACAF has done worse than UEFA and Conmebol at WC finals (I think the metric I used was % of qualified teams advancing from the group stage) but better than Asia and Africa.

I looked at a lot of different categories a while back (after 2014). CONCACAF was better than AFC and CAF in a lot of things. Like group stage points per game, points per game in games between those three confederations, fewer teams losing all 3 of their games, and I made up a quick and dirty point system where you get -1 for your region if you finish last in the group, 0 for finishing 3rd in the group, and you get a point for each time you advance. CONCACAF was well ahead of AFC and CAF in that measure. I think CONCACAF had a better record in inter-confederation playoffs than AFC as well (CAF doesn't play in them).

It's a bit ridiculous CONCACAF doesn't have more spots than they do, or less spots for AFC/CAF.

On 12/24/2021 at 3:11 PM, jonovision said:

You are correct.  I posted this before, so its worth reposting:

How Concacaf Teams at the WC have done since 1994:

2018 (Russia)……..Mex (R16)

2014 (Brazil)……….Mex (R16)…..US (R16)…..CRC (1/4)

2010 (S. Afr)……….Mex (R16)…..US (R16)

2006 (Germany)…Mex (R16)

2002 (Jpn/S.Kor)..Mex (R16)…..US (1\4)

1998 (France)…….Mex (R16)

1994 (US)…………..Mex (R16)…..US (R16)

Concacaf is most definitely the Rodney Dangerfield

Edited by Free kick

Lille have confirmed the sale of Ikone to la Fiore this morning. Cost apparently is 14million euros plus variables. To be signed when the Italian market opens in the new year.

I see rumours that Jovic, from Real Madrid, is a possible target for Newcastle, so that would clear up a spot for a possible David signing there.