Jonathan David

Vince193

42 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Lots of money for Ikone..have they even watched him in the last year? I get that he has skill and potential but you could buy Tajon and Eustaquio for that money

The difference is that Ikone is French and plays for the current league champions.  The other two aren’t and don’t.  But I know who I’d rather sign for €15 M and it’s not the former.

Seems like Arsenal and Liverpool are the front-runners for David atm, with January bids looking more and more likely.

For me Liverpool (bias aside) would be the better option career-wise but I think David grew up supporting Arsenal and with the Gunners already having a pipeline from Lille set up, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he ended up in London. They've got some good, young talented players coming through in Saka, Oodegaard and Smith-Rowe so it could be a decent time to join Arsenal as well.

28 minutes ago, frmr said:

Seems like Arsenal and Liverpool are the front-runners for David atm, with January bids looking more and more likely.

For me Liverpool (bias aside) would be the better option career-wise but I think David grew up supporting Arsenal and with the Gunners already having a pipeline from Lille set up, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he ended up in London. They've got some good, young talented players coming through in Saka, Oodegaard and Smith-Rowe so it could be a decent time to join Arsenal as well.

Yes give me Arsenal all day for Jonathan David especially putting him with our core of Saka, Odegaard, Smith Rowe, Partey, Ramsdale, etc

28 minutes ago, frmr said:

That pipeline from Lille was Nicholas Pepe who has not lived up to expectations, to put it mildly.  That said, David is a completely different type of player.  Pepe physically dominated Ligue 1 but when he got to the Premiership, it quickly became evident he couldn't outmuscle or blow past defenders like he did with Lille. 

Plus to be able to see David play for his boyhood club, the club he's always been a fan of, it would just be so poetic. David would be an even bigger star by joining my club of Arsenal. Not only are we a young team on the rise but also a team with a rich history of being a winner in the Premier League.

24 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

That pipeline from Lille was Nicholas Pepe who has not lived up to expectations, to put it mildly.  That said, David is a completely different type of player.  Pepe physically dominated Ligue 1 but when he got to the Premiership, it quickly became evident he couldn't outmuscle or blow past defenders like he did with Lille. 

And 7 years before that Hazard transfered from Lille to Chelsea after a 20 goal season (and Championship) and didn't seem to skip a beat

48 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

And Gabriel before him.

On 12/5/2021 at 12:52 PM, frmr said:

Would kill me to see david in a Liverpool shirt. My favourite player at my least favourite team, Arsenal isn't much better but it is better. (United fan)

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

15M sounds like a lot for Ikone, but he was rumored to be going for +20M a while ago, wasn't he?

My first thought was "oh good....his value is dropping...people are coming to their senses".

Exactly, I was going to say this as well. 15M for a Ligue 1 Champ and Champions League calibre player? And this is when you consider that if New England had waited til now to sell Buchanan it's not unthinkable that they'd have gotten around 10M

On 12/5/2021 at 10:58 AM, JamboAl said:

The difference is that Ikone is French and plays for the current league champions.  The other two aren’t and don’t.  But I know who I’d rather sign for €15 M and it’s not the former.

This is one good example that demonstrates the effect of coming from a country that hasn't gone to the WC in 35 years.    When we get to the world cup and hopefully put in a respectable performance, these perceptions of our players should change.   

A lot of this stuff is really based on reputation. We don't have a reputation in soccer.    Some countries like Germany, seems to regard our talent a little bit better.    I still recall a quote from some coming from Manchester United at the time when Phonzie was weighing his overseas options.  It said something like:  "we are are keeping tabs on and aware of Alphonzo Davies".   Ya right!

Edited by Free kick

12 hours ago, Free kick said:

This is one good example that demonstrates the effect of coming from a country that hasn't gone to the WC in 35 years.    When we get to the world cup and hopefully put in a respectable performance, these perceptions of our players should change.   

A lot of this stuff is really based on reputation. We don't have a reputation in soccer.    Some countries like Germany, seems to regard our talent a little bit better.    I still recall a quote from some coming from Manchester United at the time when Phonzie was weighing his overseas options.  It said something like:  "we are are keeping tabs on and aware of Alphonzo Davies".   Ya right!

It seemed obvious that Jurgen Klinsmann did not much trust US (MLS) based players in the USNT system. And same with most of our foreign managers until the last 4 years... except that they didn’t seem to trust any Canadian footballers at all. 

7 hours ago, ECW said:

It seemed obvious that Jurgen Klinsmann did not much trust US (MLS) based players in the USNT system. And same with most of our foreign managers until the last 4 years... except that they didn’t seem to trust any Canadian footballers at all. 

This would appear to be true.   You might also be able to say the the same for Holger Osieck .  Though this should not be held against him given that what he was able to accomplish as MNT manager.  But you would think that, after the results (with domestic based players) that the Americans have had against European sides like Portugal, England and Slovenia at some of the recent WC, that these perceptions or biases would have changed.

12 hours ago, Free kick said:

This would appear to be true.   You might also be able to say the the same for Holger Osieck .  Though this should not be held against him given that what he was able to accomplish as MNT manager.  But you would think that, after the results (with domestic based players) that the Americans have had against European sides like Portugal, England and Slovenia at some of the recent WC, that these perceptions or biases would have changed.

I’ve always thought that was true of Osieck and the CMNT. Listening to him speak and  also how we set up and played. 

I think the Euro mentality is very different than the North American mentality. Not only is it a (consciously) deep history, but there are certain traditions and ways of doing and teaching things that are set and non negotiable. Look at de Boer in Atlanta. He publicly indicated that he did not like the way South American players play (though maybe Brazil would be the exception?). He was crass and useless in the USA but in Holland it was a different story. 

I lived in the Netherlands for a while and think that the attitude that things must be done in a certain way and by those born in a certain country, and with ancestry that goes back centuries, might also apply to the general society as well. Now to be clear, except for that sometimes major drawback, I more than liked living there, and spending time in Germany as well. 

Germany is a different history but in these attitudes they can be similar. A few good world cup results from the US will not change that much. Maybe the American players in their domestic league will help as much or more. 

In Canada’s case I’m sure getting back to the world cup and getting results will help our reputation. But that reputation is about as bad as it can be.