Jonathan David

Vince193

I still think he may be a good fit at Real Madrid. This is from an anti-Madridista btw.

He still needs some mentoring, and this is perhaps the mistake at some clubs: the price does not mean he can't develop still. Sure, he is gaining experience, but Lille is so sloppy, and squanders so many possessions dumbly, that you are wasting a talent in David, who has a nice clean first touch pass and demands a different kind of team. He still needs how to take a few more touches to gain space or wait for teammates, he can improve his first control before a shot, he is relatively weak in the air and could do far better. He seems reluctant to butt up against a CB to hold him down while his fellow attackers find space. There is a lot to improve. 

What I see at a team like Real Madrid is that they'll train him and work him into a system, where you have an absolute master like Benzema to learn from. The movement off the ball, the passing in a pinch, and then all this peripheral play can shift very quickly into attacking a goal scoring. Surely Lewandowski is similar, they are both incredible. But Real Madrid looking for coverage for Benzema--and for post-Benzema goals-- would not require a killer in the air, while Bayern doing the same for Robert most definitely needs air dominance. 

The thinking has to be what team has the money (there are only about 10-12 in the world), and the specific need, and a playing style or roster that would make sense, that would not be a dead end. In this regard a team like Sevilla would also be a good fit, but they don't buy like that--and there are other teams in the elite, with the right fit, but simply do not have that kind of money (say its 50 million) to spend.

The fact that there is no news out of Madrid, after reading that Ancelloti was interested, suggests that maybe there is something there. Any serious club looking for a negotiation would not be blasting their interest in the press, they'd be quiet about it.

I don't mind recommending Real Madrid, being a Barça fan, as I am not a Bayern fan either and still hope Davies scores hat-tricks while losing 4-3. I'd be happy to see David as the leading scorer in the Liga as long as Real Madrid loses everything imaginable. 

57 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He still needs some mentoring, and this is perhaps the mistake at some clubs: the price does not mean he can't develop still. Sure, he is gaining experience, but Lille is so sloppy, and squanders so many possessions dumbly, that you are wasting a talent in David, who has a nice clean first touch pass and demands a different kind of team. He still needs how to take a few more touches to gain space or wait for teammates, he can improve his first control before a shot, he is relatively weak in the air and could do far better. He seems reluctant to butt up against a CB to hold him down while his fellow attackers find space. There is a lot to improve. 

I agree with most of your analysis of David. I find that he’s always looking to lay it off with his first touch, particularly with his back to goal. If there’s nobody to lay it off to, he just tries to draw a foul every time. He needs to learn to hold it up a bit and work on his control/dribbling to get out of tight spaces. He is very good with little flick ons and first touch passing, but it would be nice for him to diversify a bit. 

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I still think he may be a good fit at Real Madrid. This is from an anti-Madridista btw.

What I see at a team like Real Madrid is that they'll train him and work him into a system, where you have an absolute master like Benzema to learn from. The movement off the ball, the passing in a pinch, and then all this peripheral play can shift very quickly into attacking a goal scoring. Surely Lewandowski is similar, they are both incredible. But Real Madrid looking for coverage for Benzema--and for post-Benzema goals-- would not require a killer in the air, while Bayern doing the same for Robert most definitely needs air dominance. 

The thinking has to be what team has the money (there are only about 10-12 in the world), and the specific need, and a playing style or roster that would make sense, that would not be a dead end. In this regard a team like Sevilla would also be a good fit, but they don't buy like that--and there are other teams in the elite, with the right fit, but simply do not have that kind of money (say its 50 million) to spend.

The fact that there is no news out of Madrid, after reading that Ancelloti was interested, suggests that maybe there is something there. Any serious club looking for a negotiation would not be blasting their interest in the press, they'd be quiet about it.

I don't mind recommending Real Madrid, being a Barça fan, as I am not a Bayern fan either and still hope Davies scores hat-tricks while losing 4-3. I'd be happy to see David as the leading scorer in the Liga as long as Real Madrid loses everything imaginable. 

Jonathan David at Real Madrid would be even bigger than Alphonso Davies when he signed with Bayern Munich 

As a Madridista I agree in thinking he would fit.  I know many in the fanbase are getting drunk with the idea of a Mbappe + Haaland combo but those of us on planet earth understand this is unlikely given the latters agent and having both of their wage demands to put up with at once. There would absolutely be room for him with Jovic and Mariano likely gone by next season. 

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I have a soft spot for Barca, and much, much less so for Real Madrid, but somehow I am kind of hoping to see him go there. I can just see David fitting in nicely.

Unnamed Trialist, being the Spanish expert on here, gives a very nice and detailed analysis of why he'd fit and it's compelling. What I really like about is the idea of being Benzema's understudy and eventual replacement. Both are Francophones, obviously, and David would be following in his footsteps, coming over from Ligue 1 in his early 20's. Could be a good match for a mentor-mentee situation. This, along with the technical reasons for his fit, have me excited to see that move happen. The only thing is that David values playing time, and I don't imagine Madrid handing out any guarantees, perhaps unlike Arsenal or even Inter.

I also read PSG rumors the other day, with him being Mbappe's replacement. That could also be interesting, getting to play alongside Neymar and Messi.  

3 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Jonathan David at Real Madrid would be even bigger than Alphonso Davies when he signed with Bayern Munich 

I think if David goes to any big club it will be a bigger deal. He's going straight to the first team. Bayern clearly had a path for Davies but many suspected he was signing for the second team and would have to work his way up. We were all very excited but non of us thought he would be a starter day 1. That's different with David at his age and stage of his career, we're expecting him to play where ever he goes. 

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

I have a soft spot for Barca, and much, much less so for Real Madrid, but somehow I am kind of hoping to see him go there. I can just see David fitting in nicely.

Unnamed Trialist, being the Spanish expert on here, gives a very nice and detailed analysis of why he'd fit and it's compelling. What I really like about is the idea of being Benzema's understudy and eventual replacement. Both are Francophones, obviously, and David would be following in his footsteps, coming over from Ligue 1 in his early 20's. Could be a good match for a mentor-mentee situation. This, along with the technical reasons for his fit, have me excited to see that move happen. The only thing is that David values playing time, and I don't imagine Madrid handing out any guarantees, perhaps unlike Arsenal or even Inter.

I also read PSG rumors the other day, with him being Mbappe's replacement. That could also be interesting, getting to play alongside Neymar and Messi.  

The key, as mentioned above by @CCrTFC, is that they have been trying to find someone to fill this role and as they stand, have not been successful. Jovic and Mariano are not up to par, and will likely be moved on or loaned out.

The goals are coming from Benzema, still, and Vinicius, who finally figured things out. So there is no real replacement for Benzema, or support for him in a 9 or 10 position, say if Madrid need a goal late, in a pinch. 

I am pretty sure he'd play, just because they win enough games by enough margin to sub off Karim. Or late to get a push. Or have lesser rivals they feel they can rotate against. I am also sure he'd score with them. 

He would not work with Barça at all; PSG, not really either, don't think. Bayern, neither. Could be an At Madrid type of player, as they've had Diego Costa recently, and Morata, and have Suárez now. I don't know the English ins and outs enough so defer to those who do. RM has the money and the need. And a coach who is not biased against Canada.

23 hours ago, Obinna said:

Anyone know his current salary?

Lille aren't Bayern obviously, but they paid significantly more money for David than Bayern paid Vancouver. I think the Davies transfer, with performance incentives, was around 22M euros. David was closer to 35M euros, right? 

Since goal scorers are the highest paid players on any given team, and David was the club record signing at Lille, surely he's the highest earner at Lille right now. Without knowing how much he makes (hopefully someone else knows), I would guess he's at +3M euros / yr

To answer my own question...

https://capology.com/club/lille/salaries/

5 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

On a €1.7M base?  There better be some heavy incentives in that contract.   

No kidding. I was pretty surprised when I saw that.

I guess you can't compare to a player like Renato Sanches, for example, who leads the team at over 3M (where I was expecting David to land). He was coming from Bayern and was on a salary 1.5M, so he basically doubled his earnings. David was coming from Gent from a salary of 500k, and tripled his salary, so that's pretty good work from his agent. 

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

To answer my own question...

https://capology.com/club/lille/salaries/

i have been looking for a site like that for ages!!!

Edit.:  are search engines really just a useless piece of $hit?  WTF why haven't i ever been able to find that.  i just assumed that for other than MLS and other leagues in North America,  this stuff was never publicized.

Edited by Free kick

2 hours ago, Free kick said:

i have been looking for a site like that for ages!!!

Edit.:  are search engines really just a useless piece of $hit?  WTF why haven't i ever been able to find that.  i just assumed that for other than MLS and other leagues in North America,  this stuff was never publicized.

Same here. I only discovered it today. Where has it been all these years?

2 hours ago, El Hombre said:

All I learned from that website is that Eustaquio is criminally underpaid.  That boy needs to cash in.

He certainly is. And judging from the other salaries at Pacos, I am surprised they can even pay him that much. I am sure that's the maximum they can muster up to keep him happy. Hopefully he's not there too much longer. He deserves 7 figures.

Near the top of my Festivus wish list: A fat pay raise for Eustaquio to go along with a new contract at a bigger club. 

Also on the list: Ferdi and Jebbison commit to Canada. Larin to a good club at at better league.  Laryea and Oso to good clubs in Europe. Maybe MAK, too.

What I'll settle for: All the guys to stay healthy through to the next window.

Sorry to further derail, but comparing Pacos salaries against Benfica, the difference is insane. Pacos at 1.8 million Euros, Benfica at 36 million. If you don't include Eustaquio, Pacos are actually pretty close to CPL level spending (OK fine, double, but doubling a small amount is still a small amount). I do wonder about all those 0's though. Are those actually 0's (like youth players or players on loan that have their salary paid by the club that owns their contract or something) or is that a lack of data on those players?

1 minute ago, Kent said:

Sorry to further derail, but comparing Pacos salaries against Benfica, the difference is insane. Pacos at 1.8 million Euros, Benfica at 36 million. If you don't include Eustaquio, Pacos are actually pretty close to CPL level spending (OK fine, double, but doubling a small amount is still a small amount). I do wonder about all those 0's though. Are those actually 0's (like youth players or players on loan that have their salary paid by the club that owns their contract or something) or is that a lack of data on those players?

So Forge level, then.

/s

2 hours ago, Kent said:

I think the 0s are salaries that aren't available for whatever reason. Seems to be for new transfers. Ugbo and Hoilett don't have any salary information yet for their respective clubs.

Edited by Obinna
spelling