Jonathan David

Vince193

Larin is tall and is good on headers, i would guess 30-40% of his goals are with his head.  But look at our dear departed Ben Spencer, the guy was a giant and couldnt get a header on target, couldnt be a hold up target man to save his life.  Size and strength is great but there are strong wily shorter players who get on the end of headers too. Just another tool in a strikers toolbelt and there are planty of different ways to get the job done. 

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

Larin is tall and is good on headers, i would guess 30-40% of his goals are with his head.  But look at our dear departed Ben Spencer, the guy was a giant and couldnt get a header on target, couldnt be a hold up target man to save his life.  Size and strength is great but there are strong wily shorter players who get on the end of headers too. Just another tool in a strikers toolbelt and there are planty of different ways to get the job done. 

Josef Martinez is great at headers too, and he's shorter than David. 

Height is not the end all be all.

1 hour ago, Blackjack15 said:

FT: 2-0 win for Bordeaux

David came on the 63rd minute

Congrats to him on his first CanMNT call up today! 

So they are bounced from Europa league. That's too bad, but he got the chance to play qualifiers and even scored a few goals. That's a fantastic experience for any 18 year old striker, of any nationality, let alone a Canadian.

Great start to his European career!

(Nothing can kill my exuberance around this kid - if you couldn't tell)

I watched the last 25 minutes of the match. It was mostly desperation from Gent (a lot of long balls) and they couldn't manufacture much. David wasn't getting on the end of many of them (to be fair it seems like Gent have bigger target men for that), but he was putting in a shift moving around the pitch quite a bit to try and get involved. To be honest, he didn't stand out, but neither did any of the Gent players for the period I watched. The atmosphere in the stadium was electric and for him to not be a sore thumb on that kind of a stage is an accomplishment in itself. At the end of the match, I heard the Dutch announcer say something along the lines of "Not a success for Gent <and then as they showed David>, but a personal success for David". To be honest, I kind of wondered what he meant, but perhaps it was simply the fact he got subbed on in such a huge game and held his own?

Edited by kohanz

11 hours ago, kohanz said:

I watched the last 25 minutes of the match. It was mostly desperation from Gent (a lot of long balls) and they couldn't manufacture much. David wasn't getting on the end of many of them (to be fair it seems like Gent have bigger target men for that), but he was putting in a shift moving around the pitch quite a bit to try and get involved. To be honest, he didn't stand out, but neither did any of the Gent players for the period I watched. The atmosphere in the stadium was electric and for him to not be a sore thumb on that kind of a stage is an accomplishment in itself. At the end of the match, I heard the Dutch announcer say something along the lines of "Not a success for Gent <and then as they showed David>, but a personal success for David". To be honest, I kind of wondered what he meant, but perhaps it was simply the fact he got subbed on in such a huge game and held his own?

Maybe the commentator was referring to the Europa qualifying campaign in general, rather than that specific game? In that context the comment would make sense (based on your observations at least, I didn't see any of the game).

41 minutes ago, Kent said:

Maybe the commentator was referring to the Europa qualifying campaign in general, rather than that specific game? In that context the comment would make sense (based on your observations at least, I didn't see any of the game).

That's a good guess and I'm inclined to think you're right. I probably would have had a better idea if I had been watching & listening intently rather than had the game on in the background while working ;)

Edited by kohanz

16 hours ago, kohanz said:

Based on what I am reading in your post I would say you are interpreting that accurately.

24 minutes ago, shamrock said:

Born in the US means he could have been capped by the states. Capturing remains important for Canada however you look at it. 

Exactly. Keegan just mentioned St. Lucia having a not so tough schedule and an outside shot at qualifying for the GC. Elva could be enticed to join them. I don't think it'll happen because we included him in the U23's last year and he's still young, but it's certainly not crazy to think that scenario exists. A good year in 3.Liga and B2 could be around the corner, do we want to risk losing a player like that because we feel hoarding is disrespectful?