Jonathan David

Vince193

3 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

You repeated my question with a lot more words,  honestly.

Sparta Praha fans are an example of fans that are not driving the financial success/failure of the Champions League, to be clear.

Edit: reworking it through

Neither are Villa/West Ham fans.

You will need to define "competitive" I guess

The idea is to strike a balance between getting the best teams available (too many, maybe?) and giving even the Luxembourg champs the tiniest of chances.

And maybe I need a refresher on what you want to see.

From experience, I will tell you, it stops feeling "dirty" if you actually win the thing.  Very natural to start downplaying the competition after you get knocked out. Sorry but is that coming from experiencing a Europa League semi-final the year before.

No. Your question was about how to convince people to pay money for something of a lesser quality. That's a fair question if we're asking how to get West Ham and Villa fans to pay to watch Grasshopper vs Lodz - but nobody considering for removing more middling English, German, et. clubs is asking or expecting that. That loss is a given.

Fans of those clubs ranked 3-7 in the top five leagues definitely financially important to the Euro competitions - as a block - because they bring a reliable mass of big stadiums and deep pockets, year in year out. They wouldn't be there otherwise (just like they didn't used to be there in previous iterations years past when it was a tighter shop. They're not giving clubs like ours an in for the good of competition!)

As for the Conference League, don't get me wrong I woulda enjoyed the win, but it felt iffy the whole way through. (Heck even the Champions League this year - it's a blast, though a fleeting one I'm sure - but I don't blame some of these big clubs for thinking "I have to play the fourth best team in England last year?") But you don't have to feel that way. I'm never going to knock tribalism or irrationality - they are what make sports and fandom so fun. Glad you enjoyed it! 

Edited by The Real Marc

The boys break down the goal.com ranking the top 7 players in the region. 

I must say I agree with most of their criticism of the article. 

I'll also say this (hopefully it doesn't give anything away):

The narrative that Davies has fallen off, regressed, etc....I really think it's gone too far.......his season under Tuchel was his worst yet....but he was still playing a lot for Bayern....one of the best clubs in the world....and although they (shockingly) failed to win anything last term....they played in a UCL semi final....and Davies scored a screamer off the bench....doesn't do much to change the narrative....then he's played at LB for country....which he captains btw....which make it to the semi final of Copa btw....and somehow his performance is seen as a let down.....just because folks can't wrap their head around Davies not being the focal point of Canada's attack.....Davies had a quiet Copa America going forward....but a strong Copa America in the back....and he was a left back.

maybe Davies is a victim of his success..

Last comment (this one is a spoiler)....but I just don't see it with Jedi.....maybe I need to watch more Fulham...good player....but no longer the overrated player of the past if you look at how people are talking about him in the present.