Jonathan David

Vince193

20 minutes ago, Obinna said:

If David scored more Copa goals this would be case closed, but since he didn't it opens the door for Pulisic. Serie A and Milan are bigger than Ligue 1 and Lille. The numbers Pulisic put up as a winger are arguably as impressive David's numbers as a 9. That's what concerns me for David's case. 

Maybe a strong November will tip the scale for him.....

don't disagree with the bolded part but only 2 players scored more goals at Copa. Lautaro with 5 and Rondon with 3 vs David at 2.  He was tied with players like Luis Diaz, Darwin Nunez, Alvarez, Vini Jnr, Araujo etc. That's some high level company and he did that playing in a more withdrawn position. He scored 50% of the 4 goals by Canada at Copa. I think that's pretty impressive.

14 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

don't disagree with the bolded part but only 2 players scored more goals at Copa. Lautaro with 5 and Rondon with 3 vs David at 2.  He was tied with players like Luis Diaz, Darwin Nunez, Alvarez, Vini Jnr, Araujo etc. That's some high level company and he did that playing in a more withdrawn position. He scored 50% of the 4 goals by Canada at Copa. I think that's pretty impressive.

Me too. I just think a statement was required. Being the lead scorer of Copa America would have been the statement to push him clear of Pulisic given how close they are otherwise (as I laid out). Being tied with those other players is impressive for a Canadian, but one could ignore the passport and consider it the minimum expectation for a player like him at a tournament like this. 

David is competing with the best scorers in the world in 2024. With Mbappe. With Kane. With Haaland. With Vinicius Jr. With Lewandowski. With Gyökeres. With Palmer. With Sørloth. With etc.

Copa America 2024 semi-finalist.

Qualified to the Champions League 2024 and scoring against the best European teams in the world.

That's enough to me!

22 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

So tired of watching Lille!

Ligue 1 is full of really limited players who are only there for some notion of physical prowess, but blow the most basic passes, movements, positional situations. Like that left back they have, pathetic. Watching this Lille, as most Lilles, around David, is just maddening. 

They guy has spent 5 years asking for a simple return ball, or a pass to a certain spot, or for a teammate to be in a certain place, and they are not capable. His patience is amazing; not one coach has cared in the least to give him the sort of teammate that he needs, they don't care.

The day he goes to a good team where they play it right he'll shine all the more. I don't say he'll score more as the rivals will be better too. But we'll be watching proper football matches and I've no doubt he'll thrive in a more demanding environment, Spain, Italy, England, does not matter. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

1 shot on goal for JD playing up a man?

I take back EVERY nice thing I said about how Lille a few weeks ago.

JD did not get the shot on  goal during the man advantage, the only shot on goal Lille got in the whole match. The shot on goal was against the run of play at about 20" in the first half without advantage on an unexpected counter on a bounce off a Monaco player (it was in no way assisted to him, it just trickled to him). Not only was it the only shot on  goal for Lille, it was the only TOUCH in the Monaco goal area for Lille in the whole first half. JD got NO service, and was basically busy chasing the Monaco defenders and midfielders by himself . Monaco was totally dominant, even shorthanded, and should  have won 5-0,but it was the Lille goalkeeper Chevalier who continually  rescued them, the MOTM for sure. I was able to watch the match live on basic  cable here in Argentina. The Lille outfield players looked confused and exhausted from the very beginning. He has got to go someplace where he can get some half-decent service. Only a fantastic false 9 or an advanced midfielder could possibly have scored for Lille, not a dedicated frontman.

No way Lille makes Europe this year, certainly not the Champions league.

Edited by beachesl

Some pretty over the top comments about the game.

Having watched it all I can say:

1) It was an away game against the league leaders.

2) A lot of players looked tired - including, unfortunately, David with his passing.  Be nice if they could be as ampped as they were against Real Madrid every game but unfortunately that's not football in real life.  

Lots of new articles on Jono in the lead up to the Atleti match Wednesday. Most interesting is that he's asking for 6 million euros after taxes, when now he's at just over 2.  I find that low even, since the clubs interested could pay more, at Barça that's low, 50% tax rate. 

Tons of minor media outlets who ape the real ones saying stuff about Atlético's interest. This or that matchup. But truth is, a big game in Madrid will raise his profile greatly. 

Imo the most important Bruges matches to heighten interest in Tajon were also the 2 vs Atletico de Madrid. 

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Lots of new articles on Jono in the lead up to the Atleti match tomorrow. Most interesting is that he's asking for 6 million euros after taxes, when now he's at just over 2.  I find that low even, since the clubs interested could pay more, at Barça that's low, 50% tax rate. 

Tons of minor media outlets who ape the real ones saying stuff about Atlético's interest. This or that matchup. But truth is, a big game in Madrid with raise his profile greatly. 

Imo the most important Bruges matches to heighten interest in Tajon were also the 2 vs Atletico de Madrid. 

Because he's leaving Lille on a free, wouldn't he get a significant signing bonus equal to a good chunk of what the buying team would have had to pay Lille otherwise?

2 hours ago, Snowcrash said:

Because he's leaving Lille on a free, wouldn't he get a significant signing bonus equal to a good chunk of what the buying team would have had to pay Lille otherwise?

Really depends on whether the team wants to pay that.  They don't have to.

If there are actually multiple offers, the chances of a decent signing bonus increases, of course.  

We get silly season a bit early this year. 

6 hours ago, Snowcrash said:

Exactly. Even the equivalent of 2-4 million a contract year. It'll come into play for sure because there'll be a bidding process. 

I find the salary aspirations low though. A striker at Barcelona with his experience could garner over 15 million euros gross, would make 7-8 clear. Davies has apparently asked for over 20… which Madrid could pay, plus the signing bonus. 

Lewandowski is apparently making over 30 million gross this season.