Jonathan David

Vince193

12 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

It can be frustrating when you’re fixated on the striker because either he scores a goal, or he doesn’t. There’s no average Jonathan David game, it’s either you watch him score a goal, or you watch him do cardio.  They’ve been quite fun to watch this year, but those stretches when he goes a month without a goal can get tough to tune in.

I think you absolutely hit the nail on the head here. Watching a game focusing solely on the striker is a totally different experience. I think people get surprised how little they are involved in the match with the ball.

I'll also say, Gent with David were one of the most exciting teams I've watched in a while. Him behind two strikers led to some breath taking and devastating attacks.

9 hours ago, El Diego said:

I think you absolutely hit the nail on the head here. Watching a game focusing solely on the striker is a totally different experience. I think people get surprised how little they are involved in the match with the ball.

I'll also say, Gent with David were one of the most exciting teams I've watched in a while. Him behind two strikers led to some breath taking and devastating attacks.

Lille is/was not always a bad watch.

Gaultier's time was some park-the-bus at times but the counter attacks were nice and effective - they won the league after all.

The year after was the worst for me.  Football overall - not great - but also the other two Jonathans doing their low percentage stuff from the wings when if we are honest, we are watching for David goals. And being less biased, them learning to pass would be a lot more effective. 

Fonesca used his wings, including fullbacks, better and the football was good a lot of the time.  But David was still not the guy he really wanted. 

Now David is definitely the leader of the attack now and Zhegrova is a better version of the Jonathans. I guess we will see.  Adding or bringing through passers like Angel,  Bouaddi or even Cabella the last few years has helped. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

9 hours ago, El Diego said:

It’s funny that aside from Kone, all of our top tier league players are either defenders or strikers, doesn’t make for quite entertaining games unless there are goals or in the case of Bombito, Cornelius and to some extent Davies, an amazing individual effort in breaking up a play. If Zhegrova was a Canadian, watching Lille would be so much more interesting, even though it’s not always good, he’s doing *something*. But ultimately the goals are what make you a club legend, and at this point, whatever happens to David, I think it’s guaranteed that he will depart Lille as one of their all time greats- having one of our local guys be one of the legends at such a historic club will be great to look back on. 

3 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

It’s funny that aside from Kone, all of our top tier league players are either defenders or strikers, doesn’t make for quite entertaining games unless there are goals or in the case of Bombito, Cornelius and to some extent Davies, an amazing individual effort in breaking up a play. If Zhegrova was a Canadian, watching Lille would be so much more interesting, even though it’s not always good, he’s doing *something*. But ultimately the goals are what make you a club legend, and at this point, whatever happens to David, I think it’s guaranteed that he will depart Lille as one of their all time greats- having one of our local guys be one of the legends at such a historic club will be great to look back on. 

There's Canadians with others nationalities if they choosed Canada Soccer. We'd have gotten more entertaining games by these entertaining players.

Bounou. Begovic.

Tomori.

Ferdi. Cristante.

Marmoush. 

Etc.

David didn't went to the Montreal community events. I'm disappointed  about that. And the Montrealers (I'm talking about the prospects at the Montreal Soccer  teams) are disappointed about that too.

That's the same David that said "I'm a Montrealer guy" on his Strikers Corners Podcast. 

I understand that David is a Ottawan guy. That's his home. This is his family. David is always at Ottawa (Summers, Holidays, etc) tho. And David was at Ottawa during last summer. 

David can do to the Ottawa community events whatever he wants during summers.

God only knows when it'll be the next time that Canada Soccer gonna be in Montreal.

This is first David's Men's National Team camp in Montreal. David only knows when was the last time he was at Montreal. David is a superstar in the canadian soccer and David is a popular canadian soccer player in the Montreal soccer fanbase. It'd have been the first time that Montrealers meet David in Montreal during the Montreal community events.

All his teammates went to Montreal community events except him (and Bair).

I can understand Bair tho. Bair is also a Ottawan guy. But I think Bair didn't spend last summer (preseason) at Ottawa. I think Bair was at Auxerre directly after Copa America. Bair's a inspiration for all the Ottawan and it was the perfect moment for him to be in a Ottawa community event. 

I just wanted to say that. All love to David.

1 minute ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Replay if anyone wanted:

Amazing overall play by David: great control and turn, fight off the defender, perfectly timed and weighted ball to Millar out wide, continue the run for the cross and such a clean one touch to the far corner. Class.

And pure domination by Cornelius to win the header to get the whole thing started.

1 hour ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Replay if anyone wanted:

Amazing overall play by David: great control and turn, fight off the defender, perfectly timed and weighted ball to Millar out wide, continue the run for the cross and such a clean one touch to the far corner. Class.

Such a David goal.

Silky.

17 hours ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Replay if anyone wanted:

How badly would we all be crapping on the #4 if this was a goal scored against Canada? No urgency at all to track David's run after making the pass.

56 minutes ago, jonovision said:

How badly would we all be crapping on the #4 if this was a goal scored against Canada? No urgency at all to track David's run after making the pass.

We’d be crapping all over 3 or 4 players there. Carrasquilla inexplicably pussies out of challenging David for the ball and then gives up on the play. 6 and 14 don’t look great there either and then of course 4 takes the cake. 

Just now, InglewoodJack said:

I think David should win, but Pulisic has been in fantastic form since going to Milan. He has a good case to make too.

This season in particular with Milan, but hard to argue that for  calendar 2024 David has been very consistent and  there is his performances at Copa and in the friendly vs the USA.

6 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

This season in particular with Milan, but hard to argue that for  calendar 2024 David has been very consistent and  there is his performances at Copa and in the friendly vs the USA.

It’s the goals at Copa and his general form for Canada that put David over CP for me given this is a Concacaf award, but Pulisic was awesome last year too. Milan finished second in Série A, and he finished with 12 goals and 8 assists- second on the team for both, and I’m pretty sure most of that came during the 2024 calendar year. 

If David scored more Copa goals this would be case closed, but since he didn't it opens the door for Pulisic. Serie A and Milan are bigger than Ligue 1 and Lille. The numbers Pulisic put up as a winger are arguably as impressive David's numbers as a 9. That's what concerns me for David's case. 

Maybe a strong November will tip the scale for him.....